Would Kirk Cousins be a good Pittsburgh Steelers QB if Roethlisberger retires in 2017-18?

Championshiporbust

Would he have success?  Yes.

Will Ben retire?  Probably not.

Will this ever happen, even if Ben retires?   LMAO...hell no.   

Even if Ben retired, we wouldnt have enough money to pay Kirk the money he will want, and even if we somehow found a way to pay Bell and free up $30m in cap room, the Steelers would never do it.   They dont get into bidding wars in free agency, which is why if Bell hits free agency, he is gone.   The closest we would get to Cousins is put out a light inquiry and maybe throw out an early offer of like $17mil a year....but once the Browns and 49ers started throwing $25m per year numbers around, the Steelers would shrug and move on to the next option.

Prediction -   Ben remains a Steeler in 2018 and we draft a QB in the first 2 rounds to sit back and learn for a year or two.     

If Ben did retire and we did look to free agency...we wouldnt even consider Cousins.   We would likely look more toward Alex Smith or, if he isnt resigned, Sam Bradford.     Hell, I think there is a better chance of us signing Drew Brees next offseason than Sam Bradford.....and in reality, if Ben retired, we would likely sign someone like Ryan Fitzpatrick and draft a guy early to compete....with us likely have a few middling seasons in the meantime.

4 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Cousins will be a Jaguar tbh.

Truthfully if i was the Jags i would try and get Alex Smith if KC is wiling to let him go at the end oft he season.  He does more than enough to win games and even better not lose you games while allowing your defense and running game to be the stars that it is. 

The Steelers won't get into the bidding war that Cousins is going to command if he hits the free agent market. They also can't keep up with a team like SF, which has made it's interest very clear in him. But yeah, I think he'd be successful. I don't think that it's the greatest match stylistically in the pass game, but I don't think that's a huge deal. 

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Cousins will be a Redskin next year.

What are you guys thinking as fans? Are you thinking franchise tag 3rd year, or transition tag and match? I really don't see a long term deal with Washington right now. 

Just now, Forge said:

What are you guys thinking as fans? Are you thinking franchise tag 3rd year, or transition tag and match? I really don't see a long term deal with Washington right now. 

I'm guessing transition tag and they'll match.  They don't seem to know exactly what Cousins wants, so transition tag him, let him go find out what his market value is from other teams and then match the offer.  Maybe they get lucky and he isn't quite worth what he thought he was.  More likely is he gets something just north of the Stafford/Carr deal.  

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Pretty sure that's against CBA rules.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Pretty sure that's against CBA rules.

Nvm

It'd just cost an arm and a leg.

Yes, but it’s a costly move for teams. For a player to be given the tag in two straight years — as could possibly happen to Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins — a team has to pay him 120 percent of his previous salary. Cousins, for instance, will get a raise from $19.95 million to $23.94 million if he plays another season under the franchise tag.

If a team wants to franchise a player in three straight years, it would have to pay him 144 percent of his previous salary.

That comes out to $28.7 Million

Archived