Post Game Thoughts- Cardinals.

cconocool

57 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It happens plenty of times. It’s not a gimme kick like people want to make it. There’s a reason the NFL moved back the extra point to a similar range. Because while very makable, there’s still the possibility of missing.

The true failure was the “good enough” mentality. Conceding on over 30 seconds without trying to get closer, or without putting the ball on the kicker’s preferred hash mark because the team was “close enough” is a loser’s thought process. What Zimmer did on that sequence was the equivalent of playing prevent defense in a one score game. 

While Joseph needs to carry the blame for missing the kick, the missed kick doesn’t excuse the atrocious clock and game management, once again, displayed by Mike Zimmer. 

To be fair, just last week we saw what can happen when you run one more play. I would have made a different decision, but I don't think this decision was unforgivable.  As much bad luck as anything.

• Like 1

Outstanding bounce back game from the o-line. 4/5 were graded as having positive games by PFF. 

Hill is still not good. He’s standing up too high and loses all leverage. Heard some rumors towards the end of last week that Darrisaw may be ready to play this week. Hoping those rumors are true. 

I only watched the 3rd/4th quarters, except the final 3 minutes.   I'm not sure what definition some use for "coaching" but that game did not go into the L column because of lack of preparation nor in game decisions.  

The offensive line prevented JJ Watt and Chandler Jones from sacking Cousins.   Yes, those guys made some plays . . . As did the Vikes defensive players.  I thought Hunter looked great, the DBs?    Not so much.   

Cook and Cousins really complimented each other, but again that starts with the OLine.   

Overall defensive stats look bad, right?   Giving up 400 yards passing with 100 yards rushing is a recipe for disaster.   A 33% 3rd down rate though means their doing something right . . . Situational football.   Getting turnovers and taking care of the ball are critical . . . Also something the Vikes did well this game.   

Special teams had two missed kicks and one bad punt.   That cost this team the win. 

Vikings 2/10 on 3rd downs, that needs to be better.

3rd & 2 at MIN 33 (10:41 - 1st) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass incomplete short middle to T.Conklin (Z.Collins) [C.Jones].

3rd & 1 at MIN 34 (2:00 - 2nd) D.Cook up the middle to MIN 34 for no gain (C.Peters, J.Hicks). MIN-D.Cook was injured during the play.

3rd & 10 at ARI 40 (0:30 - 2nd) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass short right to K.Osborn pushed ob at ARZ 34 for 6 yards (R.Alford).

3rd & 13 at MIN 28 (7:25 - 3rd) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass short left to J.Jefferson to MIN 40 for 12 yards (B.Baker; M.Golden). O'Neill false start to make it 3rd and 13 instead of 3rd and 8.

3rd & 7 at MIN 34 (2:48 - 3rd) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass incomplete short right to J.Jefferson [C.Jones].

3rd & 10 at MIN 49 (1:50 - 3rd) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass short left to J.Jefferson to ARZ 38 for 13 yards (R.Alford).

3rd & 4 at ARI 32 (15:00 - 4th) (Shotgun) K.Cousins sacked at ARZ 36 for -4 yards (M.Golden). FUMBLES (M.Golden) [C.Jones], and recovers at ARZ 34.

3rd & 3 at MIN 9 (9:09 - 4th) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass incomplete deep right to J.Jefferson. Probably the most baffling one, we needed 3 and Kirk heaved it 30 something yards to Jefferson.

3rd & 6 at MIN 29 (2:56 - 4th) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass incomplete short left to A.Abdullah (J.Hicks).

3rd & 10 at ARI 48 (1:21 - 4th) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass short left to A.Thielen pushed ob at ARZ 36 for 12 yards (R.Alford).

42 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Vikings 2/10 on 3rd downs, that needs to be better.

3rd & 2 at MIN 33 (10:41 - 1st) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass incomplete short middle to T.Conklin (Z.Collins) [C.Jones].

3rd & 1 at MIN 34 (2:00 - 2nd) D.Cook up the middle to MIN 34 for no gain (C.Peters, J.Hicks). MIN-D.Cook was injured during the play.

3rd & 10 at ARI 40 (0:30 - 2nd) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass short right to K.Osborn pushed ob at ARZ 34 for 6 yards (R.Alford).

3rd & 13 at MIN 28 (7:25 - 3rd) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass short left to J.Jefferson to MIN 40 for 12 yards (B.Baker; M.Golden). O'Neill false start to make it 3rd and 13 instead of 3rd and 8.

3rd & 7 at MIN 34 (2:48 - 3rd) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass incomplete short right to J.Jefferson [C.Jones].

3rd & 10 at MIN 49 (1:50 - 3rd) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass short left to J.Jefferson to ARZ 38 for 13 yards (R.Alford).

3rd & 4 at ARI 32 (15:00 - 4th) (Shotgun) K.Cousins sacked at ARZ 36 for -4 yards (M.Golden). FUMBLES (M.Golden) [C.Jones], and recovers at ARZ 34.

3rd & 3 at MIN 9 (9:09 - 4th) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass incomplete deep right to J.Jefferson. Probably the most baffling one, we needed 3 and Kirk heaved it 30 something yards to Jefferson.

3rd & 6 at MIN 29 (2:56 - 4th) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass incomplete short left to A.Abdullah (J.Hicks).

3rd & 10 at ARI 48 (1:21 - 4th) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass short left to A.Thielen pushed ob at ARZ 36 for 12 yards (R.Alford).

So, what I got out of this breakdown is that when it's 3rd and relatively long the Vikings will throw the ball short of the first down marker and be stopped by the defense.  When it's 3rd and short (3 yards), the Vikings through a deep pass which falls incomplete.  There's definitely a pattern on 3rd down.  Play calling needs to be less predictable on third down.  That would be a big help.

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Outstanding bounce back game from the o-line. 4/5 were graded as having positive games by PFF. 

Hill is still not good. He’s standing up too high and loses all leverage. Heard some rumors towards the end of last week that Darrisaw may be ready to play this week. Hoping those rumors are true. 

Hopefully it doesn't take an injury to get him on the field but I also hope they don't rush him.  Let him be the backup for a couple weeks.  Offensive line is hard enough to play as a rookie lay alone without any training camp or preseason

6 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Hopefully it doesn't take an injury to get him on the field but I also hope they don't rush him.  Let him be the backup for a couple weeks.  Offensive line is hard enough to play as a rookie lay alone without any training camp or preseason

What do you mean by backup? Like, not play, or play some?

I don't agree. He's a first round pick, and Hill isn't good. If he's healthy, I hope they put him in.

As for the game, Cousins is doing what we want at the end of the games, but since the team didn't win, he gets no "comeback victories" stats......

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

What do you mean by backup? Like, not play, or play some?

I don't agree. He's a first round pick, and Hill isn't good. If he's healthy, I hope they put him in.

As for the game, Cousins is doing what we want at the end of the games, but since the team didn't win, he gets no "comeback victories" stats......

I mean don't put him in as soon he is a full participant at practice and expect him to play every snap.  Give him a few weeks to actually practice at the NFL level first with no restrictions.  I do think he could active on GameDay during that time.  I know it would never happen but I wouldn't against him getting a couple series to get his feet wet the game or 2 before he actually starts

I saw a stat that none of the players drafted by the Vikings played on a snap on offense or defense.  That seems unusual compared to the last couple seasons but not completely surprising with the 1st pick injured and the 2nd a backup QB. It's nice that no one has been forced into playing yet but hopefully some earn some playing time soon

• Like 1