Zach Wilson decision looks bad now and Darnold looks like a gamer

Vladimir L

Just now, NYRaider said:

Joe Burrow/Zach Wilson's meteoric rises from mid-round players at best to elite prospects in a year doesn't happen often. For the most part everyone knew that Lawerence, Fields, Lance, etc would be top picks for years. 

I would say it's far more common for the opposite to happen. For every Burrow/Wilson, there are 3 or 4 Barkley/Hundley/Connor Cook types.

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Different era. Different expectations. Not saying it's right, but it's gonna be like that now. 

I dont disagree.

We live in a world where everything is about instant fulfillment and instant results.   Patience is more rare than "common" sense anymore.

1 hour ago, Apparition said:

I would say it's far more common for the opposite to happen. For every Burrow/Wilson, there are 3 or 4 Barkley/Hundley/Connor Cook types.

Wilson's rise was.... really bizarre though.

Dude was a virtual nobody going into his last season. Late round pick at best. Got Heisman hype early playing a cupcake schedule and looked mediocre against good (note: not even great) competition. 

Zero track record of success, didn't light the world on fire against top level competition, nothing. Dude was a sports media creation. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Zero track record of success, didn't light the world on fire against top level competition, nothing. Dude was a sports media creation. 

Times like this that my inner tinfoil hat guy awakens and starts shouting stuff like, "WILSON'S GRANDFATHER WAS SENIOR VP OF UNITED PRESS INTERNATIONAL, AND LATER STARTED A CONSULTING COMPANY THAT WORKS WITH MAJOR NEWS OUTLETS!"

Edited by Apparition
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Think it has much more to do with social media than eras. It does seem to be an easier transition with the game helping the offensive side of the ball but still.

Even with a different era, you shouldn't have a large contingent of Jets fans saying that Wilson is a bust following his second professional game. That's completely ridiculous. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

On 9/20/2021 at 10:35 AM, ronjon1990 said:

BYU had a cupcake schedule last year and the one "good" team they played....Coastal Carolina FFS...made him look painfully average.

Not sure if anyone posted this yet, but the only reason they played coastal carolina was because both CC and BYU's opponents got covid and so rather than sit at home, they decided to play eachother.... wednesday the week of. Wednesday!

Throw that game out the window in your evaluation. 

Wilson is a stud and the Jets offense will figure it out at some point, assuming they can get their OL sorted out. He may develop some bad habits, which was always one of the biggest concerns I had with him considering his gunslinger mentality. 

Dude is a good athlete and has legit arm talent. I dont think a lot of the hate is justified

• Like 2

Not every rookie is gonna have a Herbert, Dak, RG3, Russell rookie season. It is a process and if the QB is mentally tough, these growing pains are a strengthening process and should be a reminder to future qbs; PRESEASON football is nothing like REGULAR season and REGULAR season is nothing like POST season.

Darnold can be another Tannehill. Maybe Jets and Dolphins are cursed in QB development. Or maybe Tua and Zach need a 3 year Josh Allen plan.

I had a few friends who are Jets fans that were pounding the table to keep Darnold and trade back; possibly still grab Fields and future 1's/2's. They hated Gase and never felt Darnold had any time or weapons to prove his worth.

I thought they were right before the draft. I still think they are right. The need for something shiny/new often blurs people's perception of reality. Darnold was just as good, if not better, of a prospect as Wilson. He was surrounded by no weapons, no O-line, and the most inept HC in recent memory. 

20 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I had a few friends who are Jets fans that were pounding the table to keep Darnold and trade back; possibly still grab Fields and future 1's/2's. They hated Gase and never felt Darnold had any time or weapons to prove his worth.

I thought they were right before the draft. I still think they are right. The need for something shiny/new often blurs people's perception of reality. Darnold was just as good, if not better, of a prospect as Wilson. He was surrounded by no weapons, no O-line, and the most inept HC in recent memory. 

Thats the argument I've been making all off-season. Not the fields part though. I wanted no rookie QB. Instead a vet like Alex Smith that could challenge Darnold and hold the fort if Darnold still was bad. The picks from trading the Wilson pick would have allowed us to restock the team and be in position to draft a top guy next year if Darnold blew.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Even with a different era, you shouldn't have a large contingent of Jets fans saying that Wilson is a bust following his second professional game. That's completely ridiculous. 

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that is right or reasonable.

6 hours ago, N4L said:

Not sure if anyone posted this yet, but the only reason they played coastal carolina was because both CC and BYU's opponents got covid and so rather than sit at home, they decided to play eachother.... wednesday the week of. Wednesday!

Throw that game out the window in your evaluation. 

Wilson is a stud and the Jets offense will figure it out at some point, assuming they can get their OL sorted out. He may develop some bad habits, which was always one of the biggest concerns I had with him considering his gunslinger mentality. 

Dude is a good athlete and has legit arm talent. I dont think a lot of the hate is justified

A guy worthy of the 2nd overall pick shouldn't look that average against Coastal Carolina even if he randomly decided to jog out onto the field and play a pick up game simply because he heard noise, so, no, I'm not throwing that game out. This is the big leagues. He could play on a Sunday in New York and Los Angeles on Thursday. That gives him Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday to prep and play the best of the best. He should have been able to look at least adequate against Coastal Carolina with 2.5 days of prep, and he didn't. 

But let's say I was willing to ignore it. 

He feasted on:

Navy (3-7) 

Troy (5-6) 23/27. 

LaTech (5-5)

UTSA (7-5)

Houston (3-5)

Texas St (2-10)

WKU (5-7)

Boise State (5-2)

North Alabama (0-4)

SDSU (4-4)

UCF (6-4)

That's practically a Sun Belt schedule. It's laughably weak. 

Literally every QB in the league cam say they're a good athlete and have arm talent. "He's a good athlete" is a cop out. He has a cannon? So did Jamarcus Russell. He can move? So could RG3. 

Dude should've never been a first rounder, much less a top 2 pick. Saleh and Co. should've said no-no to Kapono, but as rookie HCs and staffs are apt to do, they bought into the biggest farce of a hype train I've ever seen. 

• Like 1

I mean, Zach Wilson was excellent last year nobody can argue that. But covid and the strength of schedule should have put more question marks on it that we heard.

He has incredible arm talent but the ability between his ears needs to get figured out and if he doesn't have that, he is in trouble.