Zach Wilson decision looks bad now and Darnold looks like a gamer

Vladimir L

1 hour ago, biggie. said:

I don't want the topic to go off topic, but no rookie nowadays would have made as many starts as Smith did playing THAT bad.

Not many QBs could survive Peyton Manning's production after 6 starts. 

113/210 1364 yards, 6 TD, 14 INT, 13.5 points/game

Smith made 7 starts as a rookie. 

Edited by Apparition
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Been saying it. 

BYU had a cupcake schedule last year and the one "good" team they played....Coastal Carolina FFS...made him look painfully average. 

Nothing against the kid, I certainly wish him the best, but he's a product of a hype train that ignored all context in favor of box score scouting and subpar opposition. 

I made some enemies in the NFL Draft Forum on my similar takes on him, and I'm thoroughly enjoying them thus far. Maybe he proves me wrong, but the deck is stacked against him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Apparition said:

No rookie nowadays would have survived Peyton Manning's production after 6 starts.

Nope. 

Too many people expect the narrative of "pro ready" to have instant results. 

It makes you go back and look at some of the physically talented busts over the last decade or so and wonder what could've been different.

For all the hate Nagy gets, I have to commend him on sticking to Dalton instead of throwing Fields out there (ditto to Shanahan, though a different situation). It's not a given to work, but seems to me like the success rate for QBs who sit (particularly those on bad teams), or at least have a veteran presence around them, tends to be higher. 

Good teams can probably plug and play, but for bad teams, it seems to be pure luck and transcendent talent alone that makes a rookie QB shine at all. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Apparition said:

If you combine Aaron Rodgers' arm with Nate Peterman's brain, you're gonna get something much closer to Nate Peterman than Aaron Rodgers.

Not a single person ever even compared him to Peterman until he threw 4 INTs yesterday.

Not all QBs are great immediately.    Some need time and work.

Thats not to say Wilson wont bust....but its his 2nd career NFL game on a bad team playing vs Bill Belichick.  

Lets pull it back.

Edited by 43M

Just now, 43M said:

Not a single person ever even compared him to Peterman until he threw 4 INTs yesterday.

Not all QBs tear are great immediately.    Some need time and work.

Thats not to say Wilson wont bust....but its his 2nd career NFL game on a bad team playing vs Bill Belichick.  

Lets pull it back.

It wasn't a comment about Wilson specifically, mind you. It's more about people talking about arm talent as if it's the end-all-be-all. 

We'll learn a lot about Wilson from how he responds over the next three games. I don't expect him to beat the Broncos because that's a tough defense. But he should at least be competitive against the Titans and especially the Falcons. If he keeps throwing ugly picks, I don't hold out too much hope for him because he's just not in a good situation. 

Not sure if this had been mentioned, but found this funny. 

Per Kevin Clark, Wilson is the 4th rookie qb to throw 4 ints and 0 tds in a game in the last 20 years. 

The last three are Wilson, Darnold, Mark Sanchez LOL. Rough look for the Jets (the 4th was Alex Smith) 

• Like 2

I said it multiple times throughout Darnold's career with the Jets, he has had absolutely zero to work with. But Darnold was blasted as well for being terrible, because people have this false mindset that teams don't factor into QB play. 

But Darnold has had multiple 4 INT games with the Jets. His 2nd season he threw for 86 yards, 34% completions  and 4 INTs vs the Pats.

Next, the reason why the Jets made the move was not because they did not like Darnold. They felt like Darnold was a solid QB with upside, the reason they made the move was because they acknowledged the fact that our roster was pathetic and we were about to be in the time frame where Darnold would need to be paid and we need a rebuild.  The Jets as a organization started from scratch this offseason. They drafted Wilson because they fell in love with him and then the bonus point of having a QB on a rookie contract while they rebuild the roster. 

The Jets are starting 7 rookies, they have acknowledged that wins are not on their mindset this season. They are focusing on player development and building something that can sustain success.  This roster has very few veterans, it has a rookie HC, a rookie OC.  There is no real veteran QB behind Wilson. They are working from the ground up.  They traded players away just to acquire more picks. They are playing this knowing that they have a lot of high picks next draft and tons of cap space.

Saying that Wilson has not made a single good throw is ignorant, the guy single handedly brought the Jets back last week vs a very good Panthers defense throwing lasers across the field.  He made bad decisions and throws this week, he also apparently was pressed to make a strong impression with Jets fans then got booed.  He needs to learn to take what the defense is giving him and to progress through reads, the game will eventually slow down. Its way too early to determine anything. 

• Like 4