Derek Carr #4 Appreciation Thread

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Same. And I can see it. He's got a fake tough guy persona. I'm ready to move on while he still has trade value. 

Been trying to say this for a while.  The WFT in 2017 was the beginning of the end for him.  From the little information I have seen is Gruden tried to get rid of all the players he felt turned their backs on Carr.  Also Carr's statement of there were players that made it hard to want to come to practice but we no longer have that problem.  Not saying Carr has done the same things as Gruden and JDR but when it came time to make a choice we saw who Carr choose to stand with and it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.  He did not have to kneel but he choose to stand next to his coach instead of his best friend who was protesting.  

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Same. And I can see it. He's got a fake tough guy persona. I'm ready to move on while he still has trade value. 

Yeah I've been voicing this for a while. There's nothing wrong with being an introverted QB, some of the best QB's in the NFL are introverted in Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers, and Justin Herbert. However, they don't pretend to have this tough guy persona like Carr does. I'm not using "sensitive" as a bad word but he does get sensitive by media talk, player talk, etc and then pretends to be this tough guy. His back and forth with first take a while back was flat out embarrassing... like dude, ignore them. Carr also tries his hardest to be an extrovert when he simply is not, which causes a lot of his personality to feel forced. 

That, and Joey Bosa's comments aren't wrong. It's not about QB's playing bad under pressure, it's that when Carr gets knocked around a few times his mind just shuts down. I've seen it all way too often. Carr can be a great great QB in this league. However, he requires more hand-holding than almost any QB in the NFL. If he gets to a Top 5 OL, Top 5 Weapon Core, Top 5 HC/OC, and a dome or warm weather city.. yes he'll do amazing. However, that's A LOT to give one player. 

Whatever, I'm rambling. 

Edited by BayRaider

50 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Yeah I've been voicing this for a while. There's nothing wrong with being an introverted QB, some of the best QB's in the NFL are introverted in Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers, and Justin Herbert. However, they don't pretend to have this tough guy persona like Carr does. I'm not using "sensitive" as a bad word but he does get sensitive by media talk, player talk, etc and then pretends to be this tough guy. His back and forth with first take a while back was flat out embarrassing... like dude, ignore them. Carr also tries his hardest to be an extrovert when he simply is not, which causes a lot of his personality to feel forced. 

That, and Joey Bosa's comments aren't wrong. It's not about QB's playing bad under pressure, it's that when Carr gets knocked around a few times his mind just shuts down. I've seen it all way too often. Carr can be a great great QB in this league. However, he requires more hand-holding than almost any QB in the NFL. If he gets to a Top 5 OL, Top 5 Weapon Core, Top 5 HC/OC, and a dome or warm weather city.. yes he'll do amazing. However, that's A LOT to give one player. 

Whatever, I'm rambling. 

I'm 100% the other way I think he's a Rage individual and this religion holds him back. You can't be an NFL QB without having an inner Alpha dog and the Killer instinct. It's just impossible

On 10/11/2021 at 12:14 PM, big_palooka said:

I can't labor through a couple more years of Carr. That said, the 2022 QB class look awful, so what choice do they have I guess. After 8 years, I know what I am getting with Derek Carr and I'm bored with it. It's a recipe for .500 football.

I've yet to see Carr finish a season strong in Nov./Dec. I would venture a guess he wouldn't be much of a playoff QB when the bullets are flying. I agree, we're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I don't trust this FO to do anything correctly. They, under Gruden's influence have proven to be completely awful at roster building. 6 first round picks, they could have turned into a franchise QB like Herbert or built the supporting case. They did neither. The needle hasn't moved from the JDR era.

I don’t necessarily disagree, and I’d like to start fresh with a new FO, but I don’t think it’s fair to put the blame for the poor draft picks on them. Realistically, it was a one man show making those decisions. And thank god we don’t have to endure that for another 6 years. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Been trying to say this for a while.  The WFT in 2017 was the beginning of the end for him.  From the little information I have seen is Gruden tried to get rid of all the players he felt turned their backs on Carr.  Also Carr's statement of there were players that made it hard to want to come to practice but we no longer have that problem.  Not saying Carr has done the same things as Gruden and JDR but when it came time to make a choice we saw who Carr choose to stand with and it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.  He did not have to kneel but he choose to stand next to his coach instead of his best friend who was protesting.  

Osemele said that wasn't true at all after he was gone and said he likes carr. 

11 hours ago, roi34 said:

Osemele said that wasn't true at all after he was gone and said he likes carr. 

Mark Davis said something happened in the locker room before the game and he wished he would have taken a stronger stance on the situation.  The players turned on JDR and Carr stood with JDR.  Not saying all players hate Carr just that there was a spectrum, most likely, of feelings towards Carr and Gruden tried to get rid of those that did not support Carr fully.  I have never questioned or said Carr has racial issues.  I have said Carr is a teachers pet and takes the side of his current coach.

54 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

You do not need to be a psychologist to see what has been going on for years now.  Easy to spot specific personality types.

Where does "fake tough guy" fall in the Myers Briggs spectrum?

Edited by Rich7sena