Derek Carr #4 Appreciation Thread

Humble_Beast

20 hours ago, big_palooka said:

The reason people have doubted Carr at various points of his career is he is capable for the eventual clunker of a game, see Atlanta last season. And he's not shown an ability to win when it matters in Nov. and Dec. He needs to show he can be this good consistently and get the team to the playoffs.

Yes, Carr has been amazing through the first two games but he was also amazing through the first two games last season as well. He didn't have the volume passing stats but in weeks 1/2 last year he threw for 523 yards (75% comp), 4 TD/0 INT, and the offense scored 68 points. We also had wins against a team on the east coast in the 10 am slot and a win on MNF against a contender during our home opener. The wins against the Ravens/Steelers are definitely more impressive, especially considering those two teams both made the playoffs and beat the Bills/Chiefs in their other game this year. But last year after our strong start we put up a stinker against an average Patriots team. 

12 hours ago, Devilshark69 said:

I agree, hopefully the better the trust/chemistry gets with Ruggs/edwards/Moreau/snead , the better we are all over the field. That and a healthier running game of course!

Getting our run game going will be the biggest factor going forward, imo. Carr has been incredible the first two weeks but he's currently on pace for 7,000 passing yards and our run game is currently 31st in the league. And if you take out Mariota's 1 31 yard attempt we'd rank dead last with only 103 rushing yards through our first two games. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Getting our run game going will be the biggest factor going forward, imo. Carr has been incredible the first two weeks but he's currently on pace for 7,000 passing yards and our run game is currently 31st in the league. And if you take out Mariota's 1 31 yard attempt we'd rank dead last with only 103 rushing yards through our first two games. 

OL health and continuity and RB health (Jacobs) are going to determine a lot when it comes to our season.  If we can assemble a middle of the road running game when Jacobs and hopefully Inc come back, then I think we will continue on our path to the playoffs.  We need to get healthy and stay healthy.  I'm honestly okay with DC airing it out though if we keep coming up with wins.  I think we could still be just as successful as Buffalo was last year with their running game being so terrible as well.

5 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I think we could still be just as successful as Buffalo was last year with their running game being so terrible as well.

The Bills didn't have a bonafide #1 running back but their running game wasn't terrible. On the season last year they averaged 108 ypg with 16 rushing TD, while we averaged 119 ypg with 20 rushing TD. Their lack of an elite running game was also kind of covered up by Josh Allen who had 400 rushing yards/8 TD. 

There were only 3 teams that ranked in the bottom half of the league in rushing yards that finished with a winning record last season: Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo. All 3 of those teams were top 5 in takeaway and the two teams that didn't fade late in the season (TB, Buff) had a QB that accounted for 40+ TD. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

The Bills didn't have a bonafide #1 running back but their running game wasn't terrible. On the season last year they averaged 108 ypg with 16 rushing TD, while we averaged 119 ypg with 20 rushing TD. Their lack of an elite running game was also kind of covered up by Josh Allen who had 400 rushing yards/8 TD. 

There were only 3 teams that ranked in the bottom half of the league in rushing yards that finished with a winning record last season: Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo. All 3 of those teams were top 5 in takeaway and the two teams that didn't fade late in the season (TB, Buff) had a QB that accounted for 40+ TD. 

So DC just needs to throw for 40 tuddies.  Got it.  I think our running game will get back on track if/when Jacobs and Inc come back.  Hopefully they come back soon.

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

So DC just needs to throw for 40 tuddies.  Got it.  I think our running game will get back on track if/when Jacobs and Inc come back.  Hopefully they come back soon.

Well Allen didn't throw for 40 TD, he threw for 37 but also rushed for another 8, so 45 total, Brady threw for 40 TD. Regardless my point remains we need to get the running game going to be a real contender unless Carr does something that only like 15 players have every done in an NFL season. I applaud Carr for being able to will us to victories over the last two weeks with a no running game but I just don't think it's sustainable over the course of a 17 game season. 

My biggest concern about our running game going forward is that Richie is likely not going to play much, if at all, this season. And we've already lost Good for the season plus Leatherwood is hurt. But I also think that Carr's performances will force teams to drop extra guys into coverage which will then allow us more running lanes. Luckily for us the Ravens and Steelers are probably two of the best run defending teams we'll play all year. 

But I'd also be lying if I said I'm not concerned about our run blocking with our current interior OL. 

• Like 2

On 9/19/2021 at 9:27 PM, Humble_Beast said:

So many fans bashed the man,

Aaron Rodgers wouldn't have put up with this fan base.

Oh we eat our own. lol When were winning best fan base ever but when we lose and over a long period of time...WATCH OUT!!! Rabid to the bone and wouldn't want it any other way. It get annoying but makes you stronger in the end. Or eaten alive. 

On 9/19/2021 at 11:30 PM, Geezy said:

The thing is, he has to keep this up all year and carry us to the playoffs. I said a couple weeks ago that this team is good enough and if DC is that guy that I think he is, he will take us to the playoffs. We have started hot and fizzled late, let’s keep it going and finish. 

also, at some point we’re going to have to lock him up long term, the sooner the better. 

Carr looks like he found what was missing in his game heart, will, fearlessness could never put my finger on what to call it, that being said we've seen this movie before the last 2 years fast start, 2nd half collapse then blame only the defense when Carr was bad too. So before we go handing out roses let's get past midseason. Another note the deep ball to Ruggs was perfectly thrown I hope that means Carr has been working on his deep ball in the past he put way to much air under those passes if he has look out.