Derek Carr #4 Appreciation Thread

Humble_Beast

also, 2017 something happened week 3. No doubt the locker room quit. Ill admit some of that fault is on Carr. But I dont know the details of what really happened. 
Sure we can say Carr regressed after 2016, but I truly just believe our talent level became way worse. 

I think 3 years in the system is really helping Carr. 
2016 was Carrs 2nd year in a system for the first time I believe, and he had 2 great WRs. 

17 hours ago, Geezy said:

How many QBs in the league would’ve been successful with those rosters? The two best rosters DCs has had he’s made some noise. 

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

There were games last year were TB was horrible, or Mahommes was off, Wilson has bad games. Watson has bad games. 
We need to stop expected QBs to perfect week in and week out. Players have bad games. 

Carr will have a bad game this season, hopefully this board doesnt start the get rid of him talk then. 
Our D needs to step up when Carr is off, and so far they have. Its been amazing. 

Geezy: I can not say whether other QBs could have done more for sure with those rosters but just watching him play you knew he was not giving it his all.  Even Frankie has said in the past why would he try and put himself on the line when he knew they where not going to win.  So even Carr's biggest supporter on this board would admit he did not play well and there is no way of proving he could have done otherwise because he did not.  So like I said he was not the problem but was not the solution.  2017 was the same roste as 2016 and 2017 is his worst year in the league.

BackinBlack: I know QBs have bad games and I am not expecting him to be perfect but he had a few games he imploded and was the reason why we lost.  Like I have said for the past few years he is consistently getting better and as long as he continues, to a certain point of course, I want him to stay.  I am not bashing Carr but at the same time I am not allowing his three good games this year to cloud my memory of where he came from.  The improvement on D is amazing and I am very happy that we got rid of Guenther.  The weak link on the coaching staff is Cable now.  Not because of his ability to coach but the faith his bosses have in him.  The state of our o-line is directly linked to what he wanted and he did the same thing in 2018.  He may be a great teacher but he makes stupid personnel decisions.  I said at the beginning relying on Incognito and getting rid of Hudson where bad decisions.  I also said that we where going to have some issues with Leatherwood at least in the beginning of the season.  I will give him Good because it was unforeseen but at the same time you know those risks are there so you must limit risks in other areas.

All in all Carr is playing great and it is fun to watch the team again.  Carr deserves the recognition but we still need to address some issues that are not entirely his fault.  I hope he continues to improve and the offense can figure out how to score in the redzone.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Geezy: I can not say whether other QBs could have done more for sure with those rosters but just watching him play you knew he was not giving it his all.  Even Frankie has said in the past why would he try and put himself on the line when he knew they where not going to win.  So even Carr's biggest supporter on this board would admit he did not play well and there is no way of proving he could have done otherwise because he did not.  So like I said he was not the problem but was not the solution.  2017 was the same roste as 2016 and 2017 is his worst year in the league.

BackinBlack: I know QBs have bad games and I am not expecting him to be perfect but he had a few games he imploded and was the reason why we lost.  Like I have said for the past few years he is consistently getting better and as long as he continues, to a certain point of course, I want him to stay.  I am not bashing Carr but at the same time I am not allowing his three good games this year to cloud my memory of where he came from.  The improvement on D is amazing and I am very happy that we got rid of Guenther.  The weak link on the coaching staff is Cable now.  Not because of his ability to coach but the faith his bosses have in him.  The state of our o-line is directly linked to what he wanted and he did the same thing in 2018.  He may be a great teacher but he makes stupid personnel decisions.  I said at the beginning relying on Incognito and getting rid of Hudson where bad decisions.  I also said that we where going to have some issues with Leatherwood at least in the beginning of the season.  I will give him Good because it was unforeseen but at the same time you know those risks are there so you must limit risks in other areas.

All in all Carr is playing great and it is fun to watch the team again.  Carr deserves the recognition but we still need to address some issues that are not entirely his fault.  I hope he continues to improve and the offense can figure out how to score in the redzone.

I’ve said all along I thought that he didn’t take more risks because if we turned it over the defense couldn’t stop a nosebleed. That’s why games got so out of control so fast. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

100% agreed with the bold. I dont expect Carr to keep these numbers all season, but he needs to maintain a high level throughout the year (a terrible game here or there i can live with), but he needs to bounce back after a bad one. 
Redzone is our biggest red flag on O. But with our current run game, i cant put it all on Carr, but his history shows its a reason to be concerned. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

I’ve said all along I thought that he didn’t take more risks because if we turned it over the defense couldn’t stop a nosebleed. That’s why games got so out of control so fast. 

I really agree with this.
If we were down 2 scores last year, it felt like an unclimbable hill.
This year its not the case, and so far, it seems like the O and D understands its a 60 min game and dont let it effect them. 
we are less than 25% through the season, and things can change fast.

I am far from crowning this team, and Carr. But like every other fast start season, theyve suckered me into believing lol

9 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I honestly don't think Carr is playing Great til the 4th quarter. That's also why he's being humble because HE KNOWS what he's capable of it he puts all 4 quarters together. Carr has always had jitters/nerves/accuracy issues early and is usually lights out under pressure when in shotgun not 'thinking' and going off of instinct. He's a really good QB who could reach GREATNESS and as one of his supporters it's time to EXPECT that this season. Why?!? Why not...It will forever end the trade BS every off-season and then it can start the early retirement to praise God rumors the media will use to create drama. lol Then he will be even more like Farve. lol 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

100% agreed with the bold. I dont expect Carr to keep these numbers all season, but he needs to maintain a high level throughout the year (a terrible game here or there i can live with), but he needs to bounce back after a bad one. 
Redzone is our biggest red flag on O. But with our current run game, i cant put it all on Carr, but his history shows its a reason to be concerned. 

Biggest red flag I've read is 5 fumbles on offense.  I don't know if that's all DC or what because I'm deployed and can't watch entire games but we've had 5 fumbles in 3 games and have lost 0.  That's going to get us killed if it keeps up.  We need to protect the ball better.

• Like 2

On 10/2/2021 at 10:18 PM, Jerry said:

Biggest red flag I've read is 5 fumbles on offense.  I don't know if that's all DC or what because I'm deployed and can't watch entire games but we've had 5 fumbles in 3 games and have lost 0.  That's going to get us killed if it keeps up.  We need to protect the ball better.

Yup weve been lucky with the recoveries. 
Someone in the offseason mentioned how last year our recovery late was really low / unlucky. Hopefully this season we can be lucky. 

Honestly of the 5, Id say 3 are on James, one was on oline and carr plus against TJ Watt so it happens, and one I cant think of right now. 
James snapping has been brutal. 

• Like 1

Also though, that is why in the offseason I mentioned, Fumbles arent as bad as interceptions. And some disagreed. 
But with an interception, the other team ends up with possession of the ball. 
With a fumble its 50-50ish.

Obviously a concern and needs to be addressed, but itd take a lose ball over an INT

3 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Yup weve been lucky with the recoveries. 
Someone in the offseason mentioned how last year our recovery late was really low / unlucky. Hopefully this season we can be lucky. 

Honestly of the 5, Id say 3 are on James, one was on oline and carr plus against TJ Watt so it happens, and one I cant think of right now. 
James snapping has been brutal. 

That's probably where they're coming from.  All the bad snaps.  Didn't really think about that.  Well if that's where our fumbles are being counted then it's not as bad as I thought.  The bad snaps are certainly cause for concern though.

• Like 1

Just now, Jerry said:

That's probably where they're coming from.  All the bad snaps.  Didn't really think about that.  Well if that's where our fumbles are being counted then it's not as bad as I thought.  The bad snaps are certainly cause for concern though.

Yea for sure. Luckily weve been recovering them! I guess in shotgun, the QB should be the first to the ball.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 10:14 PM, G said:

I honestly don't think Carr is playing Great til the 4th quarter. That's also why he's being humble because HE KNOWS what he's capable of it he puts all 4 quarters together. Carr has always had jitters/nerves/accuracy issues early and is usually lights out under pressure when in shotgun not 'thinking' and going off of instinct. He's a really good QB who could reach GREATNESS and as one of his supporters it's time to EXPECT that this season. Why?!? Why not...It will forever end the trade BS every off-season and then it can start the early retirement to praise God rumors the media will use to create drama. lol Then he will be even more like Farve. lol 

I have felt the same way for years and said his issues are between his ears.  He is a really good instinctual QB that plays better in high tempo.  Where he gets into trouble is when things breakdown and he has to process information quickly.  You can see it in his body when he is thinking.  That has been when the boneheaded mistakes happen.  He goes through the options and throw it away or check it down quickly.  But sometimes there is the brain fart where he gets caught between 2 options and is not decisive.  Not saying MM is better but what he has done better in the past that I think Gruden wants to see more of is the next step.  Go through the options and before you decide to throw to a RB or throw it away look to see if you can run.  That is good for extending 3-4 more drives a game and maybe 1-2 turn into scores.  Also gives valuable time to the defense to rest.  My issues with Carr have gone from trade him because he is mentally broken like his brother to he needs to correct 4-5 plays a game.  That is a huge improvement and I am more than satisfied with how he plays now.

As for starting out slow I think a lot of it comes from not playing in the preseason.  Tonight would be the 4th preseason game for most of our starters.  Most teams switched to this so they limited injuries but it does have an affect on how well teams play the first few weeks.

8 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Yea for sure. Luckily weve been recovering them! I guess in shotgun, the QB should be the first to the ball.

I am sure you end up with a much higher recovery rate when it is a center QB exchange problem.  A strip sack you have your QB vs the d-line facing the ball and when it is a RB or WR you gave multiple defenders chasing so they have an advantage their also.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I have felt the same way for years and said his issues are between his ears.  He is a really good instinctual QB that plays better in high tempo.  Where he gets into trouble is when things breakdown and he has to process information quickly.  You can see it in his body when he is thinking.  That has been when the boneheaded mistakes happen.  He goes through the options and throw it away or check it down quickly.  But sometimes there is the brain fart where he gets caught between 2 options and is not decisive.  Not saying MM is better but what he has done better in the past that I think Gruden wants to see more of is the next step.  Go through the options and before you decide to throw to a RB or throw it away look to see if you can run.  That is good for extending 3-4 more drives a game and maybe 1-2 turn into scores.  Also gives valuable time to the defense to rest.  My issues with Carr have gone from trade him because he is mentally broken like his brother to he needs to correct 4-5 plays a game.  That is a huge improvement and I am more than satisfied with how he plays now.

As for starting out slow I think a lot of it comes from not playing in the preseason.  Tonight would be the 4th preseason game for most of our starters.  Most teams switched to this so they limited injuries but it does have an affect on how well teams play the first few weeks.

He's always been a elite level arm talent. His problem before Gruden had always been football intelligence and his inability to break down defenses. But Gruden coming in and developing him while sticking with him for the long-haul really helped. 

41 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

before you decide to throw to a RB or throw it away look to see if you can run.  That is good for extending 3-4 more drives a game and maybe 1-2 turn into scores.  Also gives valuable time to the defense to rest.  

3 and outs kill defenses let alone bad D cords. lol

I think he'd like to run because he use to and he fumbled a few times and we as fans ripped him for it.  I honestly think Carr is extremely 'sensitive' to energy. Not in the bad beta way but in the 'I see dead people' way. lol  Basically in today's language...an EMPATH. If so, it's a blessing and a curse.

It's why I'm pushing for more from him because I can see the next level once he feels accepted.

• Like 1