Derek Carr #4 Appreciation Thread

Humble_Beast

I'll give him a mulligan for the Chargers game, but this was one of Carr's worst performances in the last 2 years aside from the atlanta game. The drops didn't help at all, but he has to and needs to play better than this. If he doesn't work on chemistry with Edwards, he may as well stop throwing to him. Edwards damn near cost us the game by himself with the 2 drops.

• Like 3

I like Carr as most of you know but what does frustrate me is that he has the tools to be a really, really great QB and it's one or two things he struggles with that just hold him back I feel and keeps him at that level below. He's been more aggressive with his throws which is a positive and I can take the odd extra interception due to that no problem but I'd really like to see him scramble more.

He's still a good QB and there's maybe 10 to 12 people in the whole world who are better at any given time so that needs perspective but I wonder why he just doesn't run a bit more, have that extra dimension and as someone else said earlier even if it's only 4 or 5 yards that can keep a D honest and convert an extra one or two first downs per game. That could well lead to an extra score or keeping the momentum instead of a momentum shift, get the D thinking, put a little doubt back there.

I also feel like Gruden should go no huddle earlier in the game on occasion. Carr is usually so clutch in those scenarios late in games why not just change it up a bit? I know we want to be a ball control offence but reality is that the OL isn't dominating anyone and our RB is banged up and that just isn't possible right now, we should be adjusting to suit what is actually happening and it seems like we're just banging out head against the wall because that was the original 'plan'.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I like Carr as most of you know but what does frustrate me is that he has the tools to be a really, really great QB and it's one or two things he struggles with that just hold him back I feel and keeps him at that level below. He's been more aggressive with his throws which is a positive and I can take the odd extra interception due to that no problem but I'd really like to see him scramble more.

Unfortunately, one of those is something you cannot fix and has been his problem since college. He folds after you hit him a few times. Bosa is not wrong and KC was saying that years ago when they owned him on a regular occasion. 

Yesterday was a prime example of why when the Carr era ends, the Raiders might finally be better for it. As good as he can be, he simply gets shook in games. He wanted no part of the Bears defense yesterday. He doesn't want to run or make things happen with his feet where they need him to. 

He's alway going to be a good, not great QB and will never lead this team in the playoffs. He's not the 3rd best QB in the division and the team isn't going to new heights with him. It is what it is. You can't watch games and wonder what could be in this offense with a fearless QB who will make plays outside the pocket and is a threat to run. 

• Like 1

Raiders will never be more than a 7-9 win club with Carr as QB. The flaws we had talked about surface every year. Carr supporters made excuses whether it was his weapons, coaching continuity, o-line, defense etc. At the end of the day, he is a good player but isn’t good enough to propel at team to the top in the NFL. 

Herbert is already a better QB in every way than Carr

No extension for Carr coming up. This is his last season with us

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Unfortunately, one of those is something you cannot fix and has been his problem since college. He folds after you hit him a few times. Bosa is not wrong and KC was saying that years ago when they owned him on a regular occasion. 

Yesterday was a prime example of why when the Carr era ends, the Raiders might finally be better for it. As good as he can be, he simply gets shook in games. He wanted no part of the Bears defense yesterday. He doesn't want to run or make things happen with his feet where they need him to. 

He's alway going to be a good, not great QB and will never lead this team in the playoffs. He's not the 3rd best QB in the division and the team isn't going to new heights with him. It is what it is. You can't watch games and wonder what could be in this offense with a fearless QB who will make plays outside the pocket and is a threat to run. 

I'm not in total agreement with this. Don't disagree that a pass rush in his face will and does unsettle him, heck it does 95% of quarterbacks and the Brett Favre mental makeup is pretty rare I feel, maybe only a handful of QBs have that at any one time. Those guys don't get traded so the only way to get that is to draft a young kid and hope he develops. I'm not totally against drafting a guy and having him sit behind Carr for a couple years, if he's good enough he takes over and if not he's the backup.

Now, I do feel that Carr is good enough with a strong supporting cast to win a Superbowl, he's shown he's clutch under pressure time and again but that raises the question do we feel the FO can actually provide the strong supporting cast and I have my doubts. So that kind of leaves us with trying to draft a generational QB prospect that can overcome the chaos around them and lift the team on his back........ Until we change something in the FO I fear we're stuck between a rock and hard place. 

This raises the question; Do I think the FO has a better chance of creating a strong supporting cast for a good but not great QB or drafting a generational QB that can carry the team and all its issues.............🤔

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I'm not in total agreement with this. Don't disagree that a pass rush in his face will and does unsettle him, heck it does 95% of quarterbacks and the Brett Favre mental makeup is pretty rare I feel, maybe only a handful of QBs have that at any one time. Those guys don't get traded so the only way to get that is to draft a young kid and hope he develops. I'm not totally against drafting a guy and having him sit behind Carr for a couple years, if he's good enough he takes over and if not he's the backup.

Now, I do feel that Carr is good enough with a strong supporting cast to win a Superbowl, he's shown he's clutch under pressure time and again but that raises the question do we feel the FO can actually provide the strong supporting cast and I have my doubts. So that kind of leaves us with trying to draft a generational QB prospect that can overcome the chaos around them and lift the team on his back........ Until we change something in the FO I fear we're stuck between a rock and hard place. 

This raises the question; Do I think the FO has a better chance of creating a strong supporting cast for a good but not great QB or drafting a generational QB that can carry the team and all its issues.............🤔

If Derek Carr took a very very team friendly deal maybe the team can rebuild another Quality line. At the same time how long can fans wait ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I'm not totally against drafting a guy and having him sit behind Carr for a couple years, if he's good enough he takes over and if not he's the backup.

I can't labor through a couple more years of Carr. That said, the 2022 QB class look awful, so what choice do they have I guess. After 8 years, I know what I am getting with Derek Carr and I'm bored with it. It's a recipe for .500 football.

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I've yet to see Carr finish a season strong in Nov./Dec. I would venture a guess he wouldn't be much of a playoff QB when the bullets are flying. I agree, we're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I don't trust this FO to do anything correctly. They, under Gruden's influence have proven to be completely awful at roster building. 6 first round picks, they could have turned into a franchise QB like Herbert or built the supporting case. They did neither. The needle hasn't moved from the JDR era.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

If Derek Carr took a very very team friendly deal maybe the team can rebuild another Quality line. At the same time how long can fans wait ?

I'm personally over Carr. Patience has worn thin for me. He is simply an average QB in a league that is getting a lot more dynamic at the position. Between his general fear of scrambling and his deep balls that touch the heavens, I've seen enough. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of answers right now. The opportunity to land some premier passers came and went while they were throwing away draft picks. Maybe Watson clears his name and can be had, but what else do you do but live with Carr's .500 brand of ball?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I said this year would be the evaluation year. He had a poor game let’s see if he bounces back or doesn’t. Season is far from over. I’m starting to buy in though to the fact that dc is too passive to challenge grudens tendencies and that is costing us.

What bothers me is Gruden will talk up Carr. Sell the media/fans how much he trusts him and his grasping of the offense. Then take the ball out of his hands when it's time to finish games or they need a play. I think this what Gruden refers to as rubber lips. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

What bothers me is Gruden will talk up Carr. Sell the media/fans how much he trusts him and his grasping of the offense. Then take the ball out of his hands when it's time to finish games or they need a play. I think this what Gruden refers to as rubber lips. 

He didn't play well yesterday and the receivers did not play well yesterday. Bottom line. 

16 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Yeah but I don’t even think it’s a lack of trust. It’s gruden wanting to do it his way, which is mashing people and running the football. If we convert those 3rd and shorts off of passes and 2 or 3 more passes get caught, we win yesterday. And the penalties are just disgusting. That goes back to gruden too.

Even now, the hubris to not bring in veteran offensive lineman is absolutely horrendous. They need to sign 2 vets today.

• Like 1