The Joe Woods Thread

LETSGOBROWNIES

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah if you just want to play soft zone and expect your DL to kick everyone’s ***, you need to be investing in DL, not DB. When you go all in on the DB, let them do what they do and win their matchups.

It just seems like a mismatch between scheme and personnel.

Ward "looking bad" yesterday came on total schematic issues early. Two or three slants on 3rd down are literally Cover 3 beaters from the outside, especially considering we didn't even line up an Apex player to deny that presnap. That's easy presnap from 15 year old we play against on Friday nights (not exaggerating here).

There was a mix up on the slant TD that Newsome gave up on the top of the screen later on whether to play man/off man, and clearly he was supposed to have the inside realease, but thought he had the outside.

The Texans were 7 of 13 on 3rd downs, and almost all of those stops came in the 4th quarter.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/boxscore/NFL_20210919_HOU@CLE/

1ST   POSS PLAYS YDS RESULT
9:56 HOU 16 4:38 8 84 TD
2:13 HOU 27 3:19 6 24 PUNT
2ND   POSS PLAYS YDS RESULT
9:44 CLE 47 2:38 6 47 TD
1:14 HOU 26 1:14 5 10 PUNT
3RD   POSS PLAYS YDS RESULT
15:00 HOU 25 1:18 3 4 PUNT
7:50 HOU 10 1:33 3 0 INT
4:40 HOU 25 8:08 16 81 TD
4TH   POSS PLAYS YDS RESULT
5:52 HOU 22 0:33 3 0 PUNT
3:33 HOU 12 1:34 9 65 FG MISS

Nothing short of a complete embarrassment going up against the Texans 2nd/3rd best quarterbacks.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Ward "looking bad" yesterday came on total schematic issues early.

A lot of players are going to look bad when they’re asked to play off, but still make plays on slants/quick throws.

The whole reason you spend a 4th overall pick on a guy like Ward is to line him up across from an opposing team’s number one and let him go play. If you’re not gonna use him like that, trade him to some team who will for w slew of picks and just draft some solid tackling zone corner and be done with it.

Loading up on a bunch of man corners and playing scared *** coverages all the time makes no sense.  Obviously you have to mix some zone in to keep teams honest, but good lord…

• Like 1

A lot of players are going to look bad when they’re asked to play off, but still make plays on slants/quick throws.

My issue is, they're having him at 8 yards off on 3rd and long. Trust the guy you drafted high who has been a Pro Bowler to shut down a ROOKIE with a low tier NFL starter (no offense to Tyrod, I like him a lot as a backup and person).

The whole reason you spend a 4th overall pick on a guy like Ward is to line him up across from an opposing team’s number one and let him go play. If you’re not gonna use him like that, trade him to some team who will for w slew of picks and just draft some solid tackling zone corner and be done with it.

Loading up on a bunch of man corners and playing scared *** coverages all the time makes no sense.  Obviously you have to mix some zone in to keep teams honest, but good lord…

The saying "scared money don't make money" applies a lot in a lot of contexts. I'm not anti-zone or even anti-cover 3 or 4, but the time to utilize that and mix that is on 10+ yard situations or when the field really compresses in the Red Zone.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

My issue is, they're having him at 8 yards off on 3rd and long. Trust the guy you drafted high who has been a Pro Bowler to shut down a ROOKIE with a low tier NFL starter (no offense to Tyrod, I like him a lot as a backup and person).

100%.

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The saying "scared money don't make money" applies a lot in a lot of contexts. I'm not anti-zone or even anti-cover 3 or 4, but the time to utilize that and mix that is on 10+ yard situations or when the field really compresses in the Red Zone.

My big issue with it is that when you’re playing this conservative style, after a while you become the nail instead of the hammer. At times you need to dictate some things to the offenses, and make them react to you, not just you reacting to them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

What exactly is Joe Woods scheme?

Is he running Cover 3 from now on?

He’s running primarily zone from the looks of things, or man with a lot of space.  I’m not gonna go back and watch the all 22 because, well, I’m not, but that what I’m seeing from the broadcast view.  Lots of 4 man rushes.  

Bend but don’t break, make them drive the field, make them string 8-12 plays in a row without a mistake, etc being his philosophy.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

@candyman93

Per his philosophy on #1 and #2, this is his rationale for running Cover 3 as much as we are. Yet he contradicts himself here:

"We want to be a fast, aggressive team," Woods said. "We want to be able to take away the ball. We really want to dictate the way the game is played. I want to be aggressive with our game planning, aggressive in terms of getting after the quarterback with blitz packages and not really worry about what they are doing – make them worry about what we are doing. That is the hope."

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

sick and tired of being nickel and dimed all game

the bend but don’t break philosophy only works when you don’t then break and hold teams to FG’s, punts, etc. otherwise you’re just allowing them to play ball control offense with little resistance and control the game.

I mean, last year I completely understood it. Missing multiple starting CB's all year, the same with safeties, and major personnel issues/injury/Covid issues everywhere.

This year, you have depth in the secondary, creativity in Nickel/Dime situations from a personnel standpoint, 1 elite EDGE guy, 1 capable EDGE guy, and a decent rotational of interior DT, to go with a very "bleh" LB group (who actually hasn't been as awful as I thought thus far).

Send blitzes.

Play some man coverage.

Apply pressure.

If we let these guys sit back, we're in for a LONG year. Ben will eat us up. Lamar will do whatever he wants. Burrow will eat us up...and that doesn't even account for some youngsters who have shown a propensity to turn it over or play badly under duress at points (Herbert, Fields, etc.).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I mean, last year I completely understood it. Missing multiple starting CB's all year, the same with safeties, and major personnel issues/injury/Covid issues everywhere.

This year, you have depth in the secondary, creativity in Nickel/Dime situations from a personnel standpoint, 1 elite EDGE guy, 1 capable EDGE guy, and a decent rotational of interior DT, to go with a very "bleh" LB group (who actually hasn't been as awful as I thought thus far).

Send blitzes.

Play some man coverage.

Apply pressure.

100%.

If we let these guys sit back, we're in for a LONG year. Ben will eat us up.

Ben needs the old Colt McCoy treatment at this point, make him beat you down the field deep, repeatedly. His arm looks shot.

Lamar will do whatever he wants.

If we don’t have JOK spying him I legit don’t understand why we drafted him. Delpit would be a fine alternative.  8 man box, man press outside.  Just like Taylor, you have to make him beat you with his arm.

Burrow will eat us up...and that doesn't even account for some youngsters who have shown a propensity to turn it over or play badly under duress at points (Herbert, Fields, etc.).

Yep, better get deep into that playbook and confuse the kids.

• Like 1

It's funny, because I'd rarely if ever play man against a team like Baltimore with LJ as such a threat, and yet that's exactly what Woods has insisted on doing, then we wonder why he gashes us for huge chunk rushing yards and big plays down the field after escaping the pocket. I don't get it.

I was just confused because why wouldn't we stop the short stuff and make them burn us deep. I mean no one is upset if TT or the QB come in and throw 4 TD's for 50+ yards. Because that wasn't going to happen. But both of them could easily dink and dunk on us when they need 1 read and the DB is playing 7 yards off the LOS. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JDD said:

I was just confused because why wouldn't we stop the short stuff and make them burn us deep. I mean no one is upset if TT or the QB come in and throw 4 TD's for 50+ yards. Because that wasn't going to happen. But both of them could easily dink and dunk on us when they need 1 read and the DB is playing 7 yards off the LOS. 

Yep. I actually have ZERO issues playing that way vs. a team like the Chiefs. Don't give up 1 play scores, especially if we're winning by playing "keep away" and running the ball, keeping Mahomes on the sidelines. But against MOST other teams, that's not the recipe. 

• Like 1