The Joe Woods Thread

LETSGOBROWNIES

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It's funny, because I'd rarely if ever play man against a team like Baltimore with LJ as such a threat, and yet that's exactly what Woods has insisted on doing, then we wonder why he gashes us for huge chunk rushing yards and big plays down the field after escaping the pocket. I don't get it.

I think man is fine, but I’d spy someone middle of the field and let them play that area and help with the TE’s until Jackson starts to leave the pocket.

5 minutes ago, JDD said:

I was just confused because why wouldn't we stop the short stuff and make them burn us deep. I mean no one is upset if TT or the QB come in and throw 4 TD's for 50+ yards. Because that wasn't going to happen. But both of them could easily dink and dunk on us when they need 1 read and the DB is playing 7 yards off the LOS. 

YES!  Make those dudes win with big dck throws.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think man is fine, but I’d spy someone middle of the field and let them play that area and help with the TE’s until Jackson starts to leave the pocket.

On third down, yes, but getting to third down doesn't lend itself to the ability to spy until that point, otherwise you're a full fit short on the front or backside with the guy you're using to spy the quarterback since Baltimore has so many designed QB option runs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

On third down, yes, but getting to third down doesn't lend itself to the ability to spy until that point, otherwise you're a full fit short on the front or backside with the guy you're using to spy the quarterback since Baltimore has so many designed QB option runs.

If we are talking Lamar would it be ok to spy him since that keeps a person in the middle of the field and clogs up the area he wants to throw to anyway? I mean if we can force him to throw to the boundary we will see him start making mistakes. But letting him run wild or throw in the middle of the field to Andrews just get's that offense running and they are tough to stop if he get's in a groove. 

6 minutes ago, JDD said:

If we are talking Lamar would it be ok to spy him since that keeps a person in the middle of the field and clogs up the area he wants to throw to anyway? I mean if we can force him to throw to the boundary we will see him start making mistakes. But letting him run wild or throw in the middle of the field to Andrews just get's that offense running and they are tough to stop if he get's in a groove. 

Sorry for the long response, here's more or less what I'm talking about in terms of gap soundness in answer to your question:

https://matchquarters.com/2016/09/02/fmt-stopping-the-power-read/?scrlybrkr=12df0b1c

TL;DR

The Mike can't fit on the inside shoulder of the RB and account for the QB, and you're asking the WLB to be the backside fitter AND carry the TE vertically (why Andrews is such a problem tbh).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

@candyman93

Per his philosophy on #1 and #2, this is his rationale for running Cover 3 as much as we are. Yet he contradicts himself here:

Yeah that makes no sense given how he actually calls plays.  I think Hill, Delpit, JOK should be blitzing and showing blitz and dropping all game.  The 4 man rushes aren't getting it done. 

Just now, Rod Johnson said:

Yeah that makes no sense given how he actually calls plays.  I think Hill, Delpit, JOK should be blitzing and showing blitz and dropping all game.  The 4 man rushes aren't getting it done. 

Not just that, but you're essentially saying:

"Sure, we'll block your 4 with our 5, and also keep a RB in/release him via chip on Myles and/or Clowney too.

Start sending some varied looks and one of those freaks is going to start showing up in 1:1 situations, while others will be unblocked due to confusion...not to mention creating turnovers (or even an incompletion on third down for crying out loud!) from panicked quarterbacks.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Sorry for the long response, here's more or less what I'm talking about in terms of gap soundness in answer to your question:

https://matchquarters.com/2016/09/02/fmt-stopping-the-power-read/?scrlybrkr=12df0b1c

TL;DR

The Mike can't fit on the inside shoulder of the RB and account for the QB, and you're asking the WLB to be the backside fitter AND carry the TE vertically (why Andrews is such a problem tbh).

01-qb-give.png?resize=840,632&ssl=1

You have THIS school of thought, and this this one below:

02-qb-pull.png?resize=840,629&ssl=1

TL;DR

Pick your poison. If you don't outside fit on the running back, it's a tough ask for your slot guy to fight off a block (that guy is usually a TE for Baltimore in the slot position) and make a tackle

This is a better visual off of a "heavier" personnel grouping:

11P-Jet-Pwr-Read.png?resize=1024,769&ssl

Your box S is your run support, and your CS is both a lateral fit/EDGE and a vertical cap. That's TOUGH.

Here's your Power Pass/vertical image:

03-pap.png?resize=840,627&ssl=1

Notice how the Mike has to carry that TE vertically AND fit on Lamar Jackson...ooof.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Not just that, but you're essentially saying:

"Sure, we'll block your 4 with our 5, and also keep a RB in/release him via chip on Myles and/or Clowney too.

Start sending some varied looks and one of those freaks is going to start showing up in 1:1 situations, while others will be unblocked due to confusion...not to mention creating turnovers (or even an incompletion on third down for crying out loud!) from panicked quarterbacks.

Yep.  The idea that your guy is just gonna line up and whip their guy is some high school ish tbh.

Part of the reason teams like the Ravens and Steelers consistently have good pass rush ability despite changing personnel is their creativity and blitz packages.

Just as we saw Delpit, sometimes you have to get lucky and guess right with some blitzes and good things happen. Just waiting for the other team to eff up isn’t a great plan.  Force the action a bit.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yep.  The idea that your guy is just gonna line up and whip their guy is some high school ish tbh.

Part of the reason teams like the Ravens and Steelers consistently have good pass rush ability despite changing personnel is their creativity and blitz packages.

Just as we saw Delpit, sometimes you have to get lucky and guess right with some blitzes and good things happen. Just waiting for the other team to eff up isn’t a great plan.  Force the action a bit.

I mean, it's also ignoring basic math. A hat for a hat is used about everywhere else (see the above run fits), and yet when you send 1 more than they can block or even go hat for a hat and think you like your 1 on 1 matchups on the outside (both EDGE and CB), I don't understand why that's a difficult concept, let alone throwing in the confusion and disguise element.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I mean, it's also ignoring basic math. A hat for a hat is used about everywhere else (see the above run fits), and yet when you send 1 more than they can block or even go hat for a hat and think you like your 1 on 1 matchups on the outside (both EDGE and CB), I don't understand why that's a difficult concept, let alone throwing in the confusion and disguise element.

I don’t mind using the numbers game on the back end and making some of these guys make tight window throws from the pocket, but when they can run you have to have someone responsible for that.

Letting guys like Taylor, Fields and Lamar beat you with their feet is just BAD.

if you’re not gonna spy, then just rush Clowney and Garret and hope the do some superhero stuff while dropping 9.

4/7 with the ends responsible for the rush and contain is a bad concept for those guys.

He runs his defense like Gregg Williams but minus the blitzing aspect, I don't get it.

I understand the whole force the QB to nickel and dime you aspect but if you're not going to disguise and blitz you're not going to accomplish anything. The whole idea of defense is to confuse the offense, if you're going to do the same thing every week you're going to get dotted.

My hope is this only lasts a few weeks because if this is the defense all year we're in a lot of trouble.

I thought it was an OK hire at the time and I was wrong. 

If Tyrod Taylor is going to carve us *** up like a premature jack-o’-lantern, we are going to really struggle this season. 

Our offense is elite right now when it comes to proficiency and moving the ball. We don’t even need elite defense. We just need average defense, and I don’t think that’s even realistic at the moment. 

Individually, I did see what Delpit can do, which was nice. He could be a real shot in the arm at least as an enforcer. As a whole though, we are seeing a handful of individuals flash at times, but the sum of the parts is not looking good.

38 minutes ago, TeHDruiD said:

He runs his defense like Gregg Williams but minus the blitzing aspect, I don't get it.

I understand the whole force the QB to nickel and dime you aspect but if you're not going to disguise and blitz you're not going to accomplish anything. The whole idea of defense is to confuse the offense, if you're going to do the same thing every week you're going to get dotted.

My hope is this only lasts a few weeks because if this is the defense all year we're in a lot of trouble.

Gregg Williams would be a massive upgrade at this point. This defense with his blitzing would be nice. His 10 yard off coverage tho…