The Joe Woods Thread

LETSGOBROWNIES

Many salient points have been made regarding Woods and his schemes.  I wonder if Stefanski has instructed him to be conservative and play to not give up the long ball.  Also, the d line has been average at best with the pleasant surprise of McDowell as well as below expectations for Clowney and Garrett. Our d line should be putting pressure and CONTAIN the QB in the pocket as Taylor and Mahomes proved that when they have time we are in trouble. Bottom line is the defense MUST continue to improve and should be more aggressive.  I am tired of hearing Woods does not have the personnel to implement his defense as excuses are like *******s as everyone has one and it stinks.

When you have guys like JOK and Delpit, you can hide inexperience by simply using their speed to get after the QB. This defense as a whole immediately is better with those 2 out there, it's time to scheme 'em up and let them learn the nuances on the fly. Overload and trust the rest of the experienced talent on defense to make plays. Pressure bursts pipes.

Just anything to make the opposing QB think. You can't come out with this same defense weekly and expect results, you need to break tendency and make these offenses respect that on any given play there is a chance for the heater. It's easy to double team Garrett when there is no threat. Woods must create the threat, get it on film and continue to scheme in pressure. He has the ingredients, now he just needs to grow a set.

Edited by TeHDruiD
  • Like 1

He leaves the flats wide open anyway with 7 or 8 guys in coverage, why not dial it up?

Going back to what Reggie seen in terms of guys not getting lined up and the miscommunications in coverage, I understand the hesitancy. At the same time one of the fixes would be to get in faces and forcing the QB to hold the ball. I'm just not sure how you plan to have success if the opposing QB is able to rip a pass as soon as his dropback is done and his back foot is planted because his WRs are getting free releases.

Edited by TeHDruiD
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TeHDruiD said:

When you have guys like JOK and Delpit, you can hide inexperience by simply using their speed to get after the QB. This defense as a whole immediately is better with those 2 out there, it's time to scheme 'em up and let them learn the nuances on the fly.

100%.  If they’re not ready for a larger role, give them a smaller, more defined role and let them play.

Lock them up in man coverage, have them play zone in the flats, blitz the hell out of them, use them as a spy with soft zone responsibilities against mobile QB’s.

Let these guys use their athletic gifts to make things difficult for an offense.

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I've always been leery of Woods but have been waiting for him to prove my doubts wrong. I'm still waiting. We lack identity.

I think its way premature to assume we lack identity or the sky is falling down. We have played two weeks of football. Half of the defensive group are new to the team, so expecting them to come onto scene and play perfect football is something I didn't plan for. We also went about 44 mins down two key safeties in week 1, yet held the reigning AFC champs to 10 points in the first half. The big find for this defense is how they can transition when playing teams like Houston, where they are going to get the ball out as quickly as possible to mitigate our pass rush impact. We have to anticipate that in games, and be confident in moving the corners up so they aren't giving up easy 8 yard completions. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

I think its way premature to assume we lack identity or the sky is falling down. We have played two weeks of football. Half of the defensive group are new to the team, so expecting them to come onto scene and play perfect football is something I didn't plan for. We also went about 44 mins down two key safeties in week 1, yet held the reigning AFC champs to 10 points in the first half. The big find for this defense is how they can transition when playing teams like Houston, where they are going to get the ball out as quickly as possible to mitigate our pass rush impact. We have to anticipate that in games, and be confident in moving the corners up so they aren't giving up easy 8 yard completions. 

I don't think the sky is falling, aside from getting turnovers early last year the defense was bad and we still succeeded as a team. I do think we lack an identity. Our identity is "you gotta block Myles". He hasn't even been as Myles as before he had Covid but other than that I don't think teams worry about anything on our defense. We don't tackle well. We play soft coverage too much. We don't generate much of a pass rush. We are decent on 1st and 2nd down but then we just start over again after the 3rd down conversion.

We need to at least do something well so teams have to alter their gameplan against us.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

We need to at least do something well so teams have to alter their gameplan against us.

That's a good way to summarize it.

And as a couple others said, we have to at least try to confuse the QB. Doing the exact same alignments and disguising nothing pretty much never works (unless you have All Pros on defense and/or inept personnel on offense). I'm hoping we were just being overly conservative with scheme.

• Like 1

This is the week to get after the QB and make changes in coverage. I'd say most of us are tOSU fans in here so we know Fields can win with his arm and legs, his biggest weakness is holding onto the ball to make a play instead of taking the easy checkdown. So we see a bunch of line up and play straight up D it will be a reason to start getting the UHaul packed for Joe

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JDD said:

This is the week to get after the QB and make changes in coverage. I'd say most of us are tOSU fans in here so we know Fields can win with his arm and legs, his biggest weakness is holding onto the ball to make a play instead of taking the easy checkdown. So we see a bunch of line up and play straight up D it will be a reason to start getting the UHaul packed for Joe

Absolutely. The only real "flaw" in Field's game was that he can be slow getting through his progressions and reading pressure. If you let him sit back, he's going to dice you up and also escape the pocket...and neither of those things can happen Sunday.

• Like 2