The Joe Woods Thread

LETSGOBROWNIES

58 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Proud Of You Reaction GIF

When Joe Woods has his Pro Bowl CB playing Cover 3 lining up 8 yards off the wide out on 3rd and 6.

I don’t even mind cover 3, but you need guys like JOK and Delpit in their playing to over the flats.

And 8 yards of cushion is fine at times, long down/distance, but when you have a pair of 4.3 corners, let them creep up a bit. On 3rd and 6, have them position themselves at the sticks. Woods has a lot of speed and athleticism to work with.  Use it.

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t even mind cover 3, but you need guys like JOK and Delpit in their playing to over the flats.

Correct, but in a single or even two LB look without an Apex player denying that by alignment, it's an easy Cover 3 beater, and an audible that I expect our 15 year old QB to make pre-snap.

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And 8 yards of cushion is fine at times, long down/distance, but when you have a pair of 4.3 corners, let them creep up a bit. On 3rd and 6, have them position themselves at the sticks. Woods has a lot of speed and athleticism to work with.  Use it.

I like Off-Man there at the sticks, absolutely. Asking your corner to be a deep 1/3 guy between the hash and top of the numbers means that he has to have the #2 WR on his side (in the slot) keep him honest on a smash or vertical route, so he has to stay on top of that route and cut the #1 WR loose. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Correct, but in a single or even two LB look without an Apex player denying that by alignment, it's an easy Cover 3 beater, and an audible that I expect our 15 year old QB to make pre-snap.

Oh I agree it’s not always ideal.

I like Off-Man there at the sticks, absolutely.

Yep, especially with the talent we have in the defensive backfield.

Asking your corner to be a deep 1/3 guy between the hash and top of the numbers means that he has to have the #2 WR on his side (in the slot) keep him honest on a smash or vertical route, so he has to stay on top of that route and cut the #1 WR loose. 

It’s a lot to ask, absolutely.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Oh I agree it’s not always ideal.

Yep, especially with the talent we have in the defensive backfield.

It’s a lot to ask, absolutely.

IMO, and this is just my opinion and a lot of smarter people than me disagree with me, but the game changer of the spread offense that many don't talk about is twofold:

1. Expose the weakness from the safety and/or linebacker fit in the running game in a 7-8 man box

AND

2. Get the ball to your best athletes in space primarily out of the slot and backfield positions

(That's basically it)

So, in light of that, the answer has become Cover 3 to deny those huge chunk plays out of the backfield and slot WHILE simultaneously giving you the extra fit in the box to neutralize #1.

So, at some point, you really need either an absolute maniac Apex player to help set the edge or deny those curl to flat throws out of split formations, and carry a TE vertically down the seam in Pro formations.

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Translation = Dude has a whole arsenal of weapons at his disposal yet he choses to use a slingshot 

That's one point of view and perception......if this arsenal was made up of all new guns, I'm not familiar with....and I know tried and true I've won with a Sling Shot before.....then I'm leaning on my Slingshot till I get familiar with the new arsenal....

Hey it worked for David....

david-defeats-goliath.jpg

I'm not saying let him off the hook.....I am saying that I was proud of what he did last year with the absolute DREK that he had to work with. This year we were good vs KC till the 3rd quarter then folks forgot how to tackle, and how to catch punts properly, or hanging on to the football....but I digress. I want to see what he does this year, and seeing the Defense gel more each week. This is a Big Week, IMO....he has a rookie QB behind an Oline that is bottom 1/3 in the leauge.....he better beat the piss outta this rookie.....

Edited by DaWg_LB.
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

That's one point of view and perception......if this arsenal was made up of all new guns, I'm not familiar with....and I know tried and true I've won with a Sling Shot before.....then I'm leaning on my Slingshot till I get familiar with the new arsenal....

Hey it worked for David....

david-defeats-goliath.jpg

Bruh, pull the trigger....

• Like 2