The Joe Woods Thread

Yeah I don’t know what to make of Woods. I’m usually a patient man that looks at as much evidence to make an intelligent decision based on facts. The fact is this is a completely revamped defense with new guys everywhere. Logically we should give them more time. 

But the emotional side of me says bull**** let him rot. We ran the Buckeye defense last week. Or in other words the Oprah Winfrey defense…everybody gets 5 yards, you get ten yards…you want a TD? Get a td!!

But again the logical side of me says yet again give it time. Maybe he just feels the need to play it safe, play it conservative until these guys gel. Which I completely understand…but given the Buckeye defensive crap I’ve witnessed and the Browns crap defense I’ve witnessed last year and the subsequent 2 games this year my patience is wayning. 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

If Joe Woods wants to save his job, he better be consulting with Wade Phillips because his own way is going to have him out of the league soon 

I don’t even need Wade or Rex Ryan level aggressiveness right now.  I can accept there are a lot of new pieces, young guys, etc.

That said, he does need to dial things up a bit. Zone coverages, playing off 8 yards and rushing 4 is literally the most conservative defense you can play.

Start mixing more man.  Let these corners start pressing and go to work.  Start bringing a 5th rusher.  Bring 4 if you want, but mix up who with some zone blitzes. Start bringing corners and safeties off the edge to speed up the QB’s clock and limit their ability to bail to one side.  Something.  Anything.

With guys like Clowney, Garrett, Takk, etc who are all athletic, I’d love to see some version of the Romeo “UFO” defense on 3rd and long. 

Bottom line is we need to start forcing the OL to correctly identify who is coming re: protections, the QB to identify who is coming and who’s doing what post snap and then for those guys to actually make the play/block the defender after that.

Lining up with DB’s in soft zone and 4 across and only rushing them and expecting a twist/stunt to confuse tf out of everyone is not gonna work when it’s more or less all you do.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

If Joe Woods wants to save his job, he better be consulting with Wade Phillips because his own way is going to have him out of the league soon 

Should have hired Wade from the start. This defense would be humming. 

When we are in their end of the field I really want us to go man vs man on our half ot the field and let delphit, jj3, or Harrison spy on Feilds, have one safety cover deep. 

He will have to throw well to beat our corners in 1-1. 

• Like 1

Knee jerk reaction was wanting him gone after week2. The smart reaction is to wait to at least week8 to get the pitch forks.

Some guys like jerrod cherry and some football breakdown guys say the biggest issue isn’t scheme or you can’t tell if it’s scheme yet because some technical things aren’t being done by the defenders. Think a lack of preseason reps is hurting them at the moment. The back 7 is struggling at times. Even in the presser, Woods was sounding really annoyed with players but didn’t want to call anyone out. 

potential DCs candidates next year could be

lovie smith 

Vic fanigo

mike zimmer

todd Bowles

dan quinn

Not a bad list to choose from

• Like 1
1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Knee jerk reaction was wanting him gone after week2. The smart reaction is to wait to at least week8 to get the pitch forks.

Some guys like jerrod cherry and some football breakdown guys say the biggest issue isn’t scheme or you can’t tell if it’s scheme yet because some technical things aren’t being done by the defenders. Think a lack of preseason reps is hurting them at the moment. The back 7 is struggling at times. Even in the presser, Woods was sounding really annoyed with players but didn’t want to call anyone out. 

lovie smith 

Vic fanigo

mike zimmer

todd Bowles

dan quinn

Maybe. I believe the first three completions of the game were against Ward in off coverage. It seemed like a scheme thing at that point and not very often got better. Fortunately we weren't facing a good QB. Woods is in the OBJ category for me. I keep expecting something but rarely does anything happen.

10 hours ago, buno67 said:

Nice post, buno.

Woods deserves some heat, for sure, but the players are far from blameless. I'm specifically thinking of our safeties, who've been underwhelming so far. JJ3 and Harrison seem to be frequently lost and out of position. If we start pressing the CB's, our safeties better know what they're doing.

12 hours ago, buno67 said:

I don’t think most are calling for his head, but many (myself included) are just about done with the waiting/excuses.

Week one was whatever.  They’re a great offense.

There is no excuse for letting Taylor torch you like he did and letting Mills put together a 16 play and 9 play drive. Like, it’s absolutely unacceptable.  

This week is a rookie making his first start.  I have zero patience for more concepts that allow for easy completions or pretending a DE is both gonna generate a pass rush and keep contain against an athlete like fields. 

Get after his *** tomorrow, from the beginning of the game.

12 hours ago, buno67 said:

Cool, so simplify things with more press man.  That’s easy enough.  “You got him”.     Bring more pressure maybe?

And if everyone on the back end is goofing up, that’s coaching man. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, buno67 said:

lovie smith 

Vic fanigo

mike zimmer

todd Bowles

dan quinn

Todd Bowles?? Why in the world would you think he’d leave Tampa for the same job here? And why would Tampa let him go

2 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

If it's "everyone", then yeah. If it's just a couple guys, then it's on them.

I’m not saying it’s not also on the players, but his overuse of vanilla defenses is a problem.

I’ve seen other coaches do more with less.

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Todd Bowles?? Why in the world would you think he’d leave Tampa for the same job here? And why would Tampa let him go

I meant Vance Joseph my bad 

Edited by buno67