Week 3 GDT: (1-1) WFT at (1-1) Buffalo Bills 1 PM EST on FOX

MikeT14

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Don’t you want to stay in the 19-20 range and lose in the first round - at best - in perpetuity?

I don’t understand why some love mediocrityville! But hey! To each their own!

Keep it on topic please.(*)

(*) But no. I want off the mediocre treadmill ASAP. We can discuss that elsewhere

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 4209 said:

https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/buffalo-bills/teamvsteam?opp=32

In the last 8 meetings vs the  WFT the Bills are 7-1 

We played Josh Allen in 2019. It was the match up of future franchise QBs (or at least we hoped) Allen vs Haskins & we lost 24-9. Allen was only 14/20 for 160 yards, 1 passing & 1 rushing TD. Haskins was 15/22 for 144 yards.

I definitely think that Heinicke does better than Haskins did that game 2 years ago. I’m not sure if Heinicke goes over 300 vs this D, but I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t go around or over 250.

The Bills have great DTs & a run stuffing MLB, it’s hard to imagine our OL/Gibby having much success running the ball although we did the first two weeks of the season vs pretty good run defending teams.

I guess we’ll see, I expect a lot of quick passing in this game, and hopefully some screens to the WRs, Gibby & McKissic to get the Bills safeties creeping up, then we can play action and hit them over the top w/ Terry or Dyami. 

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The Bills have great DTs & a run stuffing MLB, it’s hard to imagine our OL/Gibby having much success running the ball although we did the first two weeks of the season vs pretty good run defending teams.

Fortunately, Lil Turner already planned for this by barely using the run game last week! Genius!

1 hour ago, noptov52 said:

Fortunately, Lil Turner already planned for this by barely using the run game last week! Genius!

Yes, he’s more like Jay Gruden - with a less effective passing scheme - rather than like his father, Norv Turner who was a run first coach like the Shanahan’s and then developed their passing game off their running game.

58 minutes ago, Troublez said:

I wonder if our Defense shows up....

I doubt it, as I said to @MikeT14’s OP, I think this is a “get right” game for Josh Allen. It wouldn’t shock me if he had 350 yards & 4 TDs vs us with the way our back 7 has been playing & the lack of a consistent pass rush/timely blitzing that puts pressure on the opposing QB & offense.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I doubt it, as I said to @MikeT14’s OP, I think this is a “get right” game for Josh Allen. It wouldn’t shock me if he had 350 yards & 4 TDs vs us with the way our back 7 has been playing & the lack of a consistent pass rush/timely blitzing that puts pressure on the opposing QB & offense.

I think SOME of the issue with our D will be the  competitive schedule we have this yr. We will be facing some very good QB's down the road. Another problem is our D is not applying a lot of pressure on opposing QB's with just the front four, Del Rio did not blitz a lot last yr. We added Jackson who was adapt to playing man to man. All so the addiction of McCain? who has more range as a safety. All of these addictions should have  Del Rio taking more chances with blitzing. For some reason he is not bring additional pressure and I think SOME of it has to do with the lack of talent at the LB position. This is a big time weakness. They can't cover. Davis is not ready he needs time. Meanwhile we have Allen, Mahommes and Brady coming up. The opponents QB are picking Del Rio zone defenses apart. And we all know the secondary can't cover all day. You can tell our opponents so far knows exactly what defense coverage (Zone) we are in  and they know Del Rio doesn't want to take any chances which is also allowing teams to convert 3rd downs especially 3rd and very long. Del Rio defense can't even play the coverage shell defenses correctly allowing teams to convert 3rd and very long. The Chargers 14 of 18 times on third down our backup DE are not playing well either. Different types of  Shells keep everything in front of you and they can't even play the shells correctly but that goes back to the lack of pressure on the QB. Bad tackling and for some reason WR are left WIDE open. Not trying to make excuse for TH but our struggling D is putting a lot of pressure on a inexperience QB. As a way it appears right know we will be playing up hill all season. Alot of this bad playing is preventable. Sorry for the long post guys but that's what happen when you keep watching the game over and over. Had to vent a little 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 4209 said:

I think SOME of the issue with our D will be the  competitive schedule we have this yr. We will be facing some very good QB's down the road. Another problem is our D is not applying a lot of pressure on opposing QB's with just the front four, Del Rio did not blitz a lot last yr. We added Jackson who was adapt to playing man to man. All so the addiction of McCain? who has more range as a safety. All of these addictions should have  Del Rio taking more chances with blitzing. For some reason he is not bring additional pressure and I think SOME of it has to do with the lack of talent at the LB position. This is a big time weakness. They can't cover. Davis is not ready he needs time. Meanwhile we have Allen, Mahommes and Brady coming up. The opponents QB are picking Del Rio zone defenses apart. And we all know the secondary can't cover all day. You can tell our opponents so far knows exactly what defense coverage (Zone) we are in  and they know Del Rio doesn't want to take any chances which is also allowing teams to convert 3rd downs especially 3rd and very long. Del Rio defense can't even play the coverage shell defenses correctly allowing teams to convert 3rd and very long. The Chargers 14 of 18 times on third down our backup DE are not playing well either. Different types of  Shells keep everything in front of you and they can't even play the shells correctly but that goes back to the lack of pressure on the QB. Bad tackling and for some reason WR are left WIDE open. Not trying to make excuse for TH but our struggling D is putting a lot of pressure on a inexperience QB. As a way it appears right know we will be playing up hill all season. Alot of this bad playing is preventable. Sorry for the long post guys but that's what happen when you keep watching the game over and over. Had to vent a little 

Don’t forget we have to face Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Derek Carr & Teddy Bridgewater, the last two there who just tore up the Steelers D & Teddy vs the Jags who just threw for 328 yds & 3 TDs.

We need our D to get right or we could find ourselves at 1-8 or 2-7 after we face the Bucs and I’m very very worried that’s going to be our record after the mid point of our season. 

Our last 5 games are in the division, but unless every other team has a loosing season by then, I’m worried we could already be eliminated from the playoffs by December when we start that final 5 game run.  

Edited by turtle28

7 hours ago, 4209 said:

Which they will need to do. Because rushing 4 is exactly how the Steelers beat the Bills in Week 1. LBs and DBs need to cover better and our DL need to beat their guy. I think we can blitz here and there, but I don't think that's gonna beat Allen. 

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Don’t forget we have to face Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Derek Carr & Teddy Bridgewater, the last two there who just tore up the Steelers D & Teddy vs the Jags who just threw for 328 yds & 3 TDs.

We need our D to get right or we could find ourselves at 1-8 or 2-7 after we face the Bucs and I’m very very worried that’s going to be our record after the mid point of our season. 

Our last 5 games are in the division, but unless every other team has a loosing season by then, I’m worried we could already be eliminated from the playoffs by December when we start that final 5 game run.  

IMO, Matt Ryan and Teddy don't worry me. I also don't think the Saints have enough weapons outside of Kamara that can really hurt us. I think we could realistically be 4-4 going into the Bucs game. I think our D gets torn apart this week and Del Rio and Rivera are going to realize change is needed after this week, and our D should get back to what they're supposed to be. I could be very wrong, but we have way too much talent on our defense to be as bad as they have played so far. Communication will improve in the back end and people will start to fill into their roles, aka Jamin Davis. 

• Like 1

Our defense needs to make up for their last 2 games of play with an elite game.  I don't see us winning otherwise.  You can't put this game on the offense.  This is how we win.  But that isn't out of the question.  We have the talent, it is time Del Rio gets them right and in position to excel.

• Like 1