Game #3 - Sun, Sep 26 vs LA Chargers

onejayhawk

The Ravens' blocking scheme confused our younger players and Chris Jones in his new position. The Chargers do not offer the same challenge.

On the other hand, this is a team that lost to Dallas. Is it the second week in a row that we get a team coming off a loss where they overlooked a weaker team?

J

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

The Ravens' blocking scheme confused our younger players and Chris Jones in his new position. The Chargers do not offer the same challenge.

On the other hand, this is a team that lost to Dallas. Is it the second week in a row that we get a team coming off a loss where they overlooked a weaker team?

J

Blocking schemes have nothing to do with missing tackles. If we cant at least figure that out its gonna be a very long season.

The Chris Jones experiment is going about as bad as I thought unfortunately . Dude was looking lost out there on some of those plays. Can only hope he figures it out as the season goes on.

6 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Blocking schemes have nothing to do with missing tackles. If we cant at least figure that out its gonna be a very long season.

The Chris Jones experiment is going about as bad as I thought unfortunately . Dude was looking lost out there on some of those plays. Can only hope he figures it out as the season goes on.

Jones was not the only one looking lost. The blocking scheme has everything to do with that. 

Tell me again how bad the Chris Jones experiment is after the Chargers game. 

4 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Tell me again how bad the Chris Jones experiment is after the Chargers game. 

I think the mistake was moving the 2nd best DT in the league, who we payed 100mil to play DT, to a primarily new position. I believe Jones can be a good DE and showed signs of that week 1. But is it worth moving/losing the 2nd best DT in the game?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chiefer said:

I actually don't agree with that. Like, I strongly disagree with that, in this case. How many of the misses were plays where guys got flat footed, not knowing who was going to get the ball or which direction to go, and they missed a tackle not because they can't tackle, but because of confusion? Like, Chris Jones can tackle anyone just fine. But put him isolated on the edge against that read option, and he'll get flat footed, out of position, and then might miss a tackle due to positioning.

Sure, Dan missing downfield tackles one on one aren't that, but I'd argue a ton of them in the box were 100% impacted by the blocking schemes and misdirection.

5 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I think the mistake was moving the 2nd best DT in the league, who we payed 100mil to play DT, to a primarily new position. I believe Jones can be a good DE and showed signs of that week 1. But is it worth moving/losing the 2nd best DT in the game?

It might be. It's too early to tell, really. I would argue if the trade off can wind up being having an elite DT in Jones and a subpar DE in Okafor, versus an elite DE in Jones and a good DT in Reed, it can wind up making perfect sense. It's just early, and we've had maybe the two most difficult matchups for a defensive line to start the season. I find it incredibly unlikely that this game becomes indicative of what Jones is at DE permanently. If he winds up being the same force at DE he was at DT (and he looked like it just fine in week 1), then it's worth it just for the depth difference between DT and DE.

10 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

If you can bring in a Jarren Reed, absolutely. 

5 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I actually don't agree with that. Like, I strongly disagree with that, in this case. How many of the misses were plays where guys got flat footed, not knowing who was going to get the ball or which direction to go, and they missed a tackle not because they can't tackle, but because of confusion? Like, Chris Jones can tackle anyone just fine. But put him isolated on the edge against that read option, and he'll get flat footed, out of position, and then might miss a tackle due to positioning.

Sure, Dan missing downfield tackles one on one aren't that, but I'd argue a ton of them in the box were 100% impacted by the blocking schemes and misdirection.

I just dont find it acceptable that our 100 mill starting DE on a championship contending team, cant set up contain. Dont care that its Jones and hes new, sounds like a lot of excuses and getting outcoached, again. 

Theres a lot of work left ahead, and we might see the Ravens again. I know for a fact the team agrees with me. Theyve been soft, and that wont cut it if they want to get back.

I am seeing a lot of overreactions to the game.

Yes, our run defense was abused, but it was by the best run offense in the NFL. Against Cleveland, they took a beating for much of the first half, but adjusted. Our next three opponents do not have a running game on the level of the Ravens or Browns. Yet, you get articles like this.
https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/317810/kansas-city-chiefs-dont-have-a-championship-defense-right-now

HC Reid addressed the issues.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/09/21/kansas-city-chiefs-andy-reid-how-to-fix-defensive-struggles/

Edited by onejayhawk

It's Wednesday and there are still no articles to speak of for the game against the Chargers.

Based on the snap counts in the game against the Cowboys, things will be completely different from Baltimore. The Chargers had thee WR with more than 70% of the snaps, two TE each used about 50% and Austin Eckler getting just under 2/3 of the snaps. That speaks to using 1-3 personnel as the base offensive setup. 

J

On 9/20/2021 at 6:14 PM, Jakuvious said:

I can agree with that.   I just highly disagree it’s acceptable to claim it’s more about what Baltimore did,  than how awful we played.  

When 25% of your cap is dedicated to your front 4,    And they are getting destroyed by a unit that is down 2 of it’s best players.   Whether it be coaching, or the players.  That’s a Chief issue.  I don’t know if any other team has more dedicated to the DL, but I doubt it’s many, if any.  

It will be alright, and they’ll figure it out.   I just find that excuse weak personally.