Coaching Staff Thread

Texas_OutLaw7

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I dont think there is any resource that grades time outs, but there is this evidence for 'game management': 

This is like showing me Diggs intercepting passes and telling me he must be good at performing open heart surgery because he is “good with his hands”.

You are absolutely conflating two things that have nothing to do with each other here.

interesting little debates.   I personally love the inclusion of metrics in football but you have to take a step back and look at each situation on its own.  Sure use metrics to give you some information but not as the end all answer.  

Now on to this debate.

Clock management is I think one aspect that a coach can improve on.  Personally I am not sold on the though that MM has terrible clock management.  Didn't seem to have a problem with it when GB kept beating us with Rogers with last second heroics.   YES MM had some errors this year clock management, 1 main one which I believe was more a cluster of situations rather then just MM being stupid...

On to metrics and the Buff/Titan game.   Ironically I happen to be a rather avid Titan fan.  Sue me...  Live and die cowboys, but also routed heavily for the Oilers growing up. Any way as a Titan fan I can tell you, and a glance at their board will confirm Titans have a 'bad' defense worse then ours in a way, HOWEVER one thing the Titans have done and done extremely well over the years is GOAL line stands..  I know I was not shocked at all that Buffalo failed on the sneak play. SO in that case as a coach I would hope I would be aware that Titan's  do a good job of stopping a sneak. And thus though metrics say go for it I would think hard about kicking the FG.   OR just calling a different play....  The other factor.  Going to OT...   well if you go to OT against Titans' think of it as  going to OT against us.. you better 1 hope you win the toss and 2 hope you score a TD on your drive otherwise YOU can expect to LOOSE>  Do metrics tell you about how good the other team is at scoring TD's in OT in deciding to go for a tie or a win.. NOT really they just tell you stats...  and believe me stats can tell you what ever they want. 

In my mind I would be UPSET if Dallas went for it in that spot.. especially as I know a weakness of Dallas is running short yardage. 

7 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

What is happening right now? We are absolutely more likely to go for it on 4th down. That doesn't mean we excuse the clock management issues. I am THRILLED MM is embracing analytics. It makes his job so much more effective. I bet you each of the coaches here is learning a ton as they continue to progress in their coaching careers and see the value of analytics. 

I love the fact that we’re so aggressive. And, I’m with you; just because I love the aggressiveness on 4th down doesn’t mean that I’m excusing his poor clock management. It seems completely reasonable to appreciate one but not the other.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

I’m fully prepared for Dallas to lose both KM and DQ this off-season. Zero chance MM gets the axe for either at this rate.

It could happen.

I’m hopeful that we can keep both, though.

For Quinn, not many teams are tripping over themselves to hire a defensive guy for HC. 

For Kellen, teams will surely be interested. But Jerry can be pretty persuasive. Will McClay can surely attest, life is pretty good as Jerry’s golden boy.