2017 Breakout Player

JDLefebvre

14 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

Hargrave.  He's going to be an absolute monster if he stays healthy.  

Came in here to say that. I think he has realistic potential to get 8-10 sacks this year. Other names that haven't been mentioned:

- Alejandro Villanueva: Think he starts getting some serious recognition as a top LT in the league this year. Has been beasting in training camp so far.

- Martavis Bryant: May seem obvious, but I could see him seriously blowing up this year if his hands are consistent. Jeremy Fowler reported that he looked extremely fast running routes on the side fields at practice. 

- Sean Davis: looked better and better as the season went on last year. Has been quite in TC so far but safeties typically are.

- Stephon Tuitt: more about gaining name recognition than anything.

This team is really loaded, all on defense, with guys that COULD break out.  That's why I'm optimistic the D will rebound into the upper echelon.  

Davis?  

Burns?

Shazier?  (already there in my book if he'd just stay healthy.  He's the #2 MLB in the NFL.)

Hargrave?

Dupree?

Watt?

I don't see anyone breaking out on O at all, unless maybe JuJu could if the other WRs are all injured/suspended.  He looked fairly solid in college, but nothing special in what little I saw of him.  I was hoping for Shaheen in 2, and just watched the Bears game and he still looks interesting even at the NFL level coming from D3 football.  A bit lost with blocking, but he still looks like he is a + mover, and some are labeling him a hopeful Baby-Gronk (even though he's considerably bigger than Gronk, 14 lbs heavier).  

6 hours ago, MDSteeler1971 said:

If that first preseason game is any indication with Watt, DuPree better be killing it when they start double teaming TJ!

I think they were feeling things out with Watt a lot.  He was out in coverage on the slot a lot.  He didn't really outright beat his man once as a pass rusher though.  He pushed the LT back into the pocket while Heyward destroyed it resulting in one sack.  The 2nd sack was unblocked, but he showed he could tackle well in space and redirect.  He has strong hands for arm tackles, he wraps up well.  He's got a motor.  But I didn't think that game was indicative of him becoming a monster pass rusher that would require doubles soon.  Hopefully he does though.  He and Dupree as bookends along with that DL is going to make the pass rush pretty solid for a change I think.  That frees up Shazier and the DBs to make more plays.  The D is coming around.  

Watt needs a year with Harrison to put on muscle and get some training for his hands.  Just one game but once the tackle locked on he was mostly stuck.  What we do not know if that is what he was suppose to do.  Contain rather than pass rush.  If contain, he did a very good job.  Otherwise he was not very good in bending the edge or beating his man.

For me the breakout player will be Dupree.  I think we see double digit sacks from him this year.

4 hours ago, jebrick said:

Watt needs a year with Harrison to put on muscle and get some training for his hands.  Just one game but once the tackle locked on he was mostly stuck.  What we do not know if that is what he was suppose to do.  Contain rather than pass rush.  If contain, he did a very good job.  Otherwise he was not very good in bending the edge or beating his man.

That's essentially what I was thinking.  He dipped and got around the edge better in college than in that first preseason game, but he did appear to be good at other things and they were testing to see how he worked out doing other things IMO.  I don't imagine in-game they'll really have him covering slot receivers that much for example.  They also bounced him side to side.  A year with Silverback should flip the switch hopefully.  He is raw and new to the position after all.  

On 8/15/2017 at 7:50 PM, warfelg said:

Tyler Matakevich.  I really think it's going to be shocking too.  I suspect he will rotate with VWill, and will end up out performing him and just have the knack to be at the right place at the right time.

I would love to see that. I would also love to see a miraculous breakout of Senquez his year; our 'batting average' for 2nd Round picks is abysmal. Not saying we haven't hit on a few, but since 2000, less than a a quarter have turned out to be anything useful for us, right?

On 7/21/2017 at 10:58 PM, 1BackInBlackFan said:

I'm really excited to see what he can do in his second season. He had a solid rookie year.

Not according to the GB, I think it was, a few months back, when I mentioned Burns turned in a top 3 performance in the last half of the season that any rookie CB had last year. They started listing off all these other CBs, like 10 of them...to which none put up close to the same OVERALL numbers during the last 7 games of the season. One might have had more tackles, or another might have had an extra PD, but overall, Burns turned in one of the best last half seasons last year for a rookie CB.

4 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

Not according to the GB, I think it was, a few months back, when I mentioned Burns turned in a top 3 performance in the last half of the season that any rookie CB had last year. They started listing off all these other CBs, like 10 of them...to which none put up close to the same OVERALL numbers during the last 7 games of the season. One might have had more tackles, or another might have had an extra PD, but overall, Burns turned in one of the best last half seasons last year for a rookie CB.

Burns had his ups and downs but I agree he came along nicely on the back half of the season.  (as did Davis)  Certainly, the team wouldn't have won 9 games down the stretch with out solid CB play.  I really think with the improvement of the front 7, and specifically the pass rush (fingers crossed) and the improvement of the secondary, we could be looking at a top 5 defense.  Not saying it will be but that it COULD be.  

On 7/29/2017 at 10:49 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

Im hoping Bud Dupree and/or Arite Burns.

I wouldnt be shocked if Jesse James has somewhat out of a breakout year.

Man, that would be awesome if James ended up 'breaking out', even to just being a top 15ish TE in the league would be awesome. As it is right now, that is the one position I think we are really hurting. We seem to have a few '2nd teamers', which is nice, but Ben could use that big TE to depend upon.

Archived