Changing the rules to QBs sliding?

Malik

After Flacco's hit on Thursday, I really feel like there needs to be change to rules of QBs as runners and sliding. Any slide that is not in a clear open field should not warrant a QB receiving extra protection and he should be treated as a runner. There's far too much gamesmanship where QBs fake or delay going down to get extra yards because the way the rules are they'll get an automatic 15 yards if they're touched while sliding even after a defender has already motioned to tackle when the QB is upright running.  If a QB is willing to toe the line for contact for gain a couple extra yards than defenders should be allowed to hit them they same way every other player with the ball gets hit.

I agree that any hint of a QB giving himself up should be considering giving himself up and forward progress stopped so some QB's stop trying to fake it.

Kiko's hit on Thursday was just dirty though.  If he didn't think Flacco was going to slide, he would have been diving at his knees or ankles and likely would have missed.

I'm 100% in favor of removing all protection from a QB except for blows to the head and when the ball is clearly out of his hands.

I hate when quarterbacks run to the sideline and wait to the last second to throw it away.  They deserve a hit.  I'm a Packer fan and I believe Rodgers deserved that hit.  Wish he didn't get hurt obviously, but he should have taken his loss and thrown the ball away or thrown to Bennett more quickly. 

The league needs to realize that this whole "player safety" and QB safety is hurting the league.  A QB should be able to give themselves up, but there should be more time for a defensive player to take a shot.  If a player moves in for the hit before the QB slides, it should be perfectly legal to hit him. 

I believe every person in here, who have played on the defensive side on the ball can agree to how extremely provocative it is, when a QB "takes" that extra yard after he shows his intention of giving up and sliding or running out of bounds.

Flaccos slide came late yesterday, but there was time enough to pull up for Kiko Alonso, and is was an unnecessary hit with a bad outcome, which is why I doubt we will see any rule change, although there should be a gentleman agreement where QB's don't exploit their situation as a protected player.

2 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I can see it from both sides. I think everyone would be for no protection for the QB till it’s your QB that gets hurt and your season is over. 

As an Eagles fan who had Mike Vick at QB for a few years, I'm used to the QB getting no protection at this point.

I think that if a player fakes giving themselves up/running out of bounds on a play to get the defender to stop running at them and then continue to run with the ball, it should be a 15 yard penalty and replay the down. It's hard to regulate the late slides like Flacco had. Having only seen the play in slow motion, I need to check it out at regular speed. In slow motion so many hits look way dirtier than they actually are. I think there could be a reviewable "x" step rule, not sure what it would be, two steps probably. If you take more than two steps and hit a player illegally it's a penalty for 15 yards, if you, as a defender take a step and hit them it can be reviewed and the laundry picked up. I also think that adding more targeting-esque rules or reviews wouldn't hurt.

In this situation, it looks to me like Alonso took two steps since Flacco started his slide, so he had a chance to go up and over. So, while I don't think it was a "dirty" hit, you see those hits a lot and not always called. It was definitely a penalty and was a hit that had a bad outcome.

This may sound dumb but QB's should be allowed to go pass the LOS. If you're going to go through great lengths to protect them then they shouldn't be allowed to go pass the LOS. The hit while gruesome was not dirty not illegal IMO. I don't like that Flacco was dazed but that's what comes with running. No one cared when Bernard Pollard rocked Stevan Ridley to sleep a few years ago. 

Just making QB running illegal.

18 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

It was 3rd down. I'm pretty sure he was just trying to get a 1st down. 

Then he shouldn't have slid? It looks to me like the tackler is already committed at the time he decides to slide. That is way too late and any hit that he takes after that should be on him. Maybe you are just saying that he wasn't intentionally trying to draw a flag or anything, which I agree with , but he definitely is largely at fault for that hit.

16 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

This may sound dumb but QB's should be allowed to go pass the LOS. If you're going to go through great lengths to protect them then they shouldn't be allowed to go pass the LOS. The hit while gruesome was not dirty not illegal IMO. I don't like that Flacco was dazed but that's what comes with running. No one cared when Bernard Pollard rocked Stevan Ridley to sleep a few years ago. 

Just making QB running illegal.

__009facepalm.gif?w=280&h=210&fit=crop

Can Running backs slide to avoid being hit?  Once a QB passes the LOS they are considered a runner just like a RB with all the same rules applying.  Don't want your QB getting hit while running, don't let him run.  Want to use your QBs athleticism and size to run, expect him to take hits like a RB, getting rid of sliding means that these type of plays and the judgement whether the defensive player already started his hit before the slide, did the QB sliding change the location of the hit, etc become moot.

Archived