Josey Jewell - torn pec, out for the season

lomaxgrUK

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Brutal.

Sorry, but the Coaches (including Vic) have a fair bit to answer for here. Why is one of your most important defenders playing Punt Coverage vs a poor opponent?

I can't imagine he's played or practiced any ST's all year.

6 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Sorry, but the Coaches (including Vic) have a fair bit to answer for here. Why is one of your most important defenders playing Punt Coverage vs a poor opponent?

I forget who tweeted it, but I saw something that said Darius Leonard, Roquan Smith, and Bobby Wagner all have more ST reps than Jewell this season. It’s not ideal for your important guys to play ST, but it’s hardly unheard of. 

It was a hell of a play, but I did cringe when I saw our defensive signal caller was the one making it. And of course the outcome ends up being worse case scenario. 

Chris Gould has been the STs assistant for five years and on the staff for seven years, so he pre-dates McMahon. Would another kick return TD get him fired? It’s that bad right now. 

8 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I forget who tweeted it, but I saw something that said Darius Leonard, Roquan Smith, and Bobby Wagner all have more ST reps than Jewell this season. It’s not ideal for your important guys to play ST, but it’s hardly unheard of. 

Whilst I wasn't aware of that, it doesn't change much in my opinion. If Leonard, Smith or Wagner went down on ST I would say the same thing.

We've got guys on our roster who are literally only seeing snaps on ST; they have to have the capability of coping on those units without having to use guys who play over 85% of our snaps on Defense.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 1

By the way - having watched the play back on all 22, it's actually a bit of a cheap shot by a Jags player that causes the injury. It's a shove in the back that propels Josey into the Punt Returner, and ultimately Josey just doesn't brace his body properly for impact as a result.

Pretty incredible he was able to make the tackle at all, really.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Whilst I wasn't aware of that, it doesn't change much in my opinion. If Leonard, Smith or Wagner went down on ST I would say the same thing.

We've got guys on our roster who are literally only seeing snaps on ST; they have to have the capability of coping on those units without having to use guys who play over 85% of our snaps on Defense.

Don’t disagree. As someone who has never followed ST snap counts, is it normal for our most used ST’er (PJ Locke) to only be on 77% of all kicking game plays? I guess now that I think of it, he won’t be on the field for our FG/XP attempts. Going through the totals now, I think I might be more upset with Dre’Mont getting regular ST reps as he’s our most used DL. (Justin Simmons has had 5 reps there, as well. Seems unwise.)

• Like 1