The receivers

pwny

I think it’s probably time to have an honest discussion about the receiving targets on this team. We’re only two games into the season, so it may be an overreaction, but the receiving targets we’ve put around Trevor are really struggling. 

We’ve had 7 drops so far, some issues with route running, and inconsistent play all over.

Outside of Marvin Jones, who has had his own issue of disappearing for a big chunk of yesterday’s game, Laviska hasn’t really shown much of those traits that we’d hope he’d start showing this year in being a dynamic playmaker, and Chark has had some big splash plays but he’s only caught 25% of his targets. James O has risen to a larger role somewhat effectively, but he’s now out with an ankle sprain that might kill his momentum even after he’s able to return, and Shenault is getting an MRI sometime today. Beyond the players mentioned, the Jaguars have three other WRs and TEs who have caught a ball so far, and they each have one catch on two targets.

While the camp battles this year showed off what a appeared to be a good amount of depth in our WR room that we needed to prune through, not a single one of those players has caught a pass.

There’s some room for growth as late additions Tyron Johnson and James Hollister become more acclimated in the offense, but neither of them really offer the *answer* that the receiving groups is going to need to find success.

So.. where do we go from here? Is the group going to rise to the occasion and find a way to play better? Do we need to make wholesale changes in the off-season, or will it just take 1 splash player to get everyone in the role they need to be in? Or do we just simply need to wait for Trevor to play some and get some experience so he can elevate the players around him?

We need more weapons and speed to be sure.  I like jones, but at this point he's basically a crafty veteran whose physical skills just don't blow you away.  Dj and laviska...I don't know, ill have a better take after I rewatch the game.  So far, the only player that screams "get him the ball more" is James Robinson. 

• Like 1

While it is probably fair to start questioning the receivers, another potential cause could be Darrell Bevell.  Years ago, Bevell was the OC for the Vikings and about the only thing memorable about him was that his play calling was predictable, overly conservative and vanilla.  I still think his that adding him to such an important position on the staff was as much about his experience being seen by Urban as a potential help to him as he learns to navigate the unfamiliar waters of the NFL.  It totally makes sense for Urban to be looking for that, and I will even give him credit for knowing he may need someone to lean on.  Some head coaches have such a big ego that they are unable to admit to themselves that they don't know it all. 

At the same time, I'm afraid that in the search for a man of experience as our OC, we may have also ended up with a guy who is too old-school in his thinking to help a young roster full of offensive play makers. 

As far as the receivers are concerned, some people here in the Jaguars Forum have mentioned in the past that even though we would like to think we have a couple of receivers who are capable of being true #1 types, we may only have some very high quality #2 guys.   

Having witnessed the careers of players like Randy Moss and Cris Carter over the years, I would have to agree with this assessment.  In all likelihood, there will probably never be another Randy Moss.  However, I do think it is possible to get a receiver like Cris Carter.  We could use someone with that kind of ability, but what we probably need even more is his "alpha" attitude and on-field presence.  Carter and Moss both had this, and it could be a big help on a young team like ours.  Troy Aikman had it with Michael Irvin.  

A player doesn't have to be a loudmouth to possess this trait either.  I would say that guys like Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson also had the "alpha quality", for lack of a better word.  We are blessed by now having Trevor Lawrence on the roster, because he possesses this in abundance.  As far as the Jaguar receivers, though, I don't know if any of them have this quality.  It might be the missing ingredient on an otherwise promising and talented young roster.

I believe the answer to this question is still playing at Clemson right now. Ross will be coming out next year and hopefully becoming acclimated with his former collegiate QB. He has the ability to be a true number 1 WR as in someone who will get consistent separation, make those over the middle catches to convert short 3rd downs, win 50/50 balls consistently, and force double coverage in order for the other WRs to finally thrive at their respective roles. It is a matter of time.

If we look at free agency next year, the 2 big names showing up on the list are Allen Robinson and Davante Adams. Both true number one WRs that can do the things listed above consistently. Some of the dark horses that could potentially be numbers ones, but either it is a risk or they may not truly make it to FA is: Christ Godwin, Courtland Sutton, Michael Gallup, Ju-Ju Smith-Schuster, and Antonio Brown. Vets that could easily fill a number 2/3 WR role are: Sammy Watkins, A.J Green, Will Fuller, Jamison Crowder, and T.Y Hilton.

43 minutes ago, Jags said:

I believe the answer to this question is still playing at Clemson right now. Ross will be coming out next year and hopefully becoming acclimated with his former collegiate QB. He has the ability to be a true number 1 WR as in someone who will get consistent separation, make those over the middle catches to convert short 3rd downs, win 50/50 balls consistently, and force double coverage in order for the other WRs to finally thrive at their respective roles. It is a matter of time.

If we look at free agency next year, the 2 big names showing up on the list are Allen Robinson and Davante Adams. Both true number one WRs that can do the things listed above consistently. Some of the dark horses that could potentially be numbers ones, but either it is a risk or they may not truly make it to FA is: Christ Godwin, Courtland Sutton, Michael Gallup, Ju-Ju Smith-Schuster, and Antonio Brown. Vets that could easily fill a number 2/3 WR role are: Sammy Watkins, A.J Green, Will Fuller, Jamison Crowder, and T.Y Hilton.

The big problem with Ross lies with his neck.  I get gambling with an acl but necks aren't something to be gambled with

48 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

yeah just depends whether we want to... stick our neck out for him

Welp Baalke is known to take risk.. but I wouldn’t be surprised if Urban tells Kahn he needs a new GM after this season. Similar to how Rhule got rid of Hurney after his first year as HC. Urban is really going to be looking sideways at Baalke when he sees all the talent he’s going to come across this Sunday. God forbid Rondale Moore makes Tyson Campbell look like slouch on Sunday. I’d hate to see it.

Edited by DuvalsKing

4 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Welp Baalke is known to take risk.. but I wouldn’t be surprised if Urban tells Kahn he needs a new GM after this season. Similar to how Rhule got rid of Hurney after his first year as HC. Urban is really going to be looking sideways at Baalke when he sees all the talent he’s going to come across this Sunday. God forbid Rondale Moore makes Tyson Campbell look like slouch on Sunday. I’d hate to see it.

I watched the Cardinals/Vikings game last week with my dad and Rondale looked pretty good.