Week 3 GDT - Green Bay Packers at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

45 minutes ago, JIllg said:

1 last thought - I do think that the supporting cast absolutely gives everything they have for Jimmy. Catching nasty passes in traffic, breaking tackles. They believe in that guy - he’s led them places, even if many of those successes were receivers making unlikely plays or busts in coverage by bad defenses and the like. Even if he was given about 10 different shots at those big drives by good defenses. And that belief does have tangible value. It still shouldn’t sway an objective observer’s opinion.

100% agree with all of this

29 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Ugh...

I hate our offense right now.

With no RBs, Shanny can't scheme the run game like he needs to to complement the play-action and build the pass game around it. We're not a team that can primarily be in shotgun and pass all three downs. Jimmy isn't built for it and neither is the O-Line really. When we're one dimensional, we're pretty much dead in the water. Sermon just isn't ready. Couple of decent runs but you can just see his vision and urgency on those outside zone runs isn't where it needs to be. It's obvious why he was inactive Week 1.

Ryans is all over the place. He hasn't called a decent game so far imo. Growing into the role so it's to be expected. But he doesn't have a feel for how to combat certain QBs and offensive concepts. I get he's working with a skelton crew@CB but he played way to soft and conservative in the first half imo. They have a patchwork O-Line. I would have been more agressive with the blitz, stunts and showing agressiveness by crowding the LOS in the early going. Make their O-Line have to alter protections, identify the Mike, etc. Make them work in unison, which could cause miscommunications and blown assignments. That's what you do to a O-Line playing a bunch of first time starters. Then you can fallback on your D-Line's ability to get home with four just when they think you're coming again with the blitz. He relied too heavily on the front four getting pressure for too long and Rodgers got into a rhythm. It was over after that.

Even if we had somehow pulled out a win, it would have bern the second straight week we got outplayed for a majority of the game. We've got work to do,on both sides of the ball.

Ryans has been very unimpressive, but mostly because I find him very vanilla. Feels like he may be a little hesitant to take chances she look bad, which is certainly not atypical in his spot.

The coaching has just been kind of meh. You're right in that the offense has been disjointed. Haven't put together a complete game yet. Some crazy conservative and fearful management. Lack of awareness.

The coaching staff has had better starts. Hopefully they shake out of this funk

• Like 1

It's a shame to see Kyle be so conservative. He used to be so aggressive with his play calls and he really does seem to play not to lose sometimes. 

He doesn't trust our offense. He very clearly doesn't trust JG, and he didn't trust sermon tonight. It's been an issue with him on the last drives of first halves where he lets a ton of clock run out before he starts calling down field shots. He seems to prefer methodical drives that chew clock. Makes the margin for error super small. I get it that we want to play complimentary football, but I think he needs to start approaching every week like we need to drop 40 to win. Seems like he's too concerned with not putting his whole playbook on display for the league. I'd rather he empty the clip every week and figure out next week, next week. 

I am pretty done with JG. The dude starts too slow. It's like he doesn't wake up and start throwing the ball with any sense of urgency until he turns it over or has a few bad drives. His mindset is the sh!ts. I want to see him come out firing from the start. It's like we want to just ease our way into games and lean on the defense and run game too much. Can't win with that mindset. If the team that came out of the locker room in the second half started the game, we win. No excuse to come out so flat on a nationally televised game at home 

@J-ALL-DAY pointed it out, but the first game back after the multi week east coast trip has given us issues. Our practices are supposed to be short and fast paced. I wonder if Kyle is giving these guys too much time off when they get home. 

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm really unimpressed with our coaching across the board this year

I was screaming at us to run the ball here. 

It's a shame JG has the most pathetic turnover I've ever seen where he threw the ball to the ground while spinning backwards. Pitiful. There are times the guy doesn't look like a professional athlete. That was a play HS kids make, not a play 8+ year vets make. That changed everything. 

If we are down 3 instead of 6, I bet Kyle would have ran the ball at least once there. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Forge said:

Well, we all know how I feel about Kyle talking to the media 😂 means about as much as "Trent brown is the best pass blocking tackle I've ever seen"

Conspiracy theories that turned out to be true. - Album on Imgur

He does give interesting interviews :D

EDIT: Also, he was just explaining offensive strategy, not comparing a player under his wing to the best of all time. Let's not get it twisted lol. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

Anyway, very frustrating L. Damn. With the other teams looking locked in on the division crown offensively, it might be a tough road looking ahead. That "final stand" by the defense was just pathetic. Even if it's Aaron Rodgers, with that amount of time and no timeouts they should have iced the win. That was ridiculous. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Anyway, very frustrating L. Damn. With the other teams looking locked in on the division crown offensively, it might be a tough road looking ahead. That "final stand" by the defense was just pathetic. Even if it's Aaron Rodgers, with that amount of time and no timeouts they should have iced the win. That was ridiculous. 

It was very 2018. They went 80+ yards in 1 minute with no timeouts in that one

• Like 2

Jimmy probably gets two more games, and then the BYE is here. That is when Shanahan probably puts Lance in. Or maybe not judging by how all the others have played. I'm really at a crossroads because the other quarterbacks that played last year in D1 have looked bad. Lance didn't play last year in addition to playing at a lower level. Tough, because the offense does need a jolt.

But yeah, that doesn't excuse DeMeco Ryans' defensive performance. 

Also, maybe the secondary even with it's injuries, misses Richard Sherman's leadership and on-the-field IQ. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

Mack might need to go by the bye, too. Our backup guards are ***, but Mack’s been abysmal as a pass protector and hasn’t gotten second level blocks on linebackers often in the run game. His body is just toast. Plus, he can’t even snap the ball right 3 times a game. Brunskill at center and some dude at guard can’t be much worse. And, again, the backup guards probably have a future with the team. Moore hasn’t looked completely outmatched. At least we’d get a bit more beef at guard.

• Like 2

Don't usually quote from Reddit, but this was funny.

Online 49er fans get so mad at losses. There has to be "real life" fans who are able to function after a last second loss to Aaron Rodgers instead of "demoting Demeco Ryans" and "ripping the band aid off and starting Trey Lance". There has to be to be fans who are disappointed at the loss but don't go into a "change everything" rage.

Sky will be falling this week in Ninerland after 2-1 start. Take cover.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

4 hours ago, JIllg said:

Mack might need to go by the bye, too. Our backup guards are ***, but Mack’s been abysmal as a pass protector and hasn’t gotten second level blocks on linebackers often in the run game. His body is just toast. Plus, he can’t even snap the ball right 3 times a game. Brunskill at center and some dude at guard can’t be much worse. And, again, the backup guards probably have a future with the team. Moore hasn’t looked completely outmatched. At least we’d get a bit more beef at guard.

I still think Mack is a front-line starter but I agree he isn't what he used to be nad needs to be better. One or two more bad outings and I agree, slide Brunskill over and see what Moore can do@RG.

But for the love of God, PLEASE...no Compton.

5 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm really unimpressed with our coaching across the board this year

I don't think I'm too mad at this to be honest. Jimmy could have let it go a few seconds but Juice just ended up scoring here. If you snap it at one and it's an incomplete, you are kind of rushing it at that point. Our offense was not actually smooth in that area all game. If Juice was down at the one or two, you could then call a TO with 18 or 19 seconds. That would have been the best case scenario.