Week 3 GDT - Green Bay Packers at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

I mean I know its still early but the hope was that Lance would push Jimmy to be the best version of himself.

That certainly ain't happenin'

And Shanny is in this weird ball-control type of trance where he seems content dinking and dunking down the field. I'm sorry but that's not going to get it done. Your margin for error is razor thin with that kind of approach. And when you're QB is Jimmy, chances are something bad or unforseen will derail any progress in a series of plays.

I watched the Rams dismantle the Bucs and for the first time in my life....even going back to the Greatest Show On Turf days, I actually envied their offense. Like that's how this scheme should look. Aggressive and attacking. Foot on the throat at all times, from both a run & pass perspective. Granted TB was missing alot of guys on the outside, butvMcVay was deliberate and varied with his approach to attack that defense. It just goes to show that having that confidence level in your QB and his ability is a game changer. And we won't be able to see Shanny morph back into the maverick play caller he once was until Lance has the reins completely.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I mean I know its still early but the hope was that Lance would push Jimmy to be the best version of himself.

That certainly ain't happenin'

And Shanny is in this weird ball-control type of trance where he seems content dinking and dunking down the field. I'm sorry but that's not going to get it done. Your margin for error is razor thin with that kind of approach. And when you're QB is Jimmy, chances are something bad or unforseen will derail any progress in a series of plays.

I watched the Rams dismantle the Bucs and for the first time in my life....even going back to the Greatest Show On Turf days, I actually envied their offense. Like that's how this scheme should look. Aggressive and attacking. Foot on the throat at all times, from both a run & pass perspective. Granted TB was missing alot of guys on the outside, butvMcVay was deliberate and varied with his approach to attack that defense. It just goes to show that having that confidence level in your QB and his ability is a game changer. And we won't be able to see Shanny morph back into the maverick play caller he once was until Lance has the reins completely.

Yeah, and not having Mostert takes away from our explosive run game so we are left with these 11-13 play 80 yard drives to score TDs when it should not be that difficult with the weapons we have. 

Not being able to generate big plays makes it so hard on the offense. They have to execute damn near perfectly possession by possession. There really is no room for error as you stated.

Still happy the team was able to erase the 17-0 deficit fairly easily. The fumble was bad by Jimmy but if not for that, looks like we would have scored on every single trip in the 2nd half.

Even if you are not wanting to start Lance right now, at least find ways to get him some reps. He does not just need GL or short yard carries. Put him in for a series and see what he can do. Heck, give him three to four plays at a time and he may be able to provide a spark.

Didn't Lance win scout team player of the week in week 2?

Maybe Shanny doesn't want to alienate the locker room or disrupt Jimmy's timing or something. Because if Lance is practising well, he should be getting more snaps at a minimum. 

Edited by 49ersfan

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

Didn't Lance win scout team player of the week in week 2?

Maybe Shanny doesn't want to alienate the locker room or disrupt Jimmy's timing or something. Because if Lance is practising well, he should be getting more snaps at a minimum. 

Scout team MVP =/= Practicing well

Practicing well is partly understanding and executing the game plan

You cant do either of those things playing on the scout team

I always say that turnover are contagious, on both sides of the ball. When you get takeaways, the whole team feeds off of it and you continue to get them. Some years you get blessed with the ball bouncing your way in that department. 

Right now we are the 4th worst team in turnover differential, behind the jets, titans, jags (tied with WFT). 

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/turnovers.html 

3 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

On that fumble did Deebo run the wrong way? Jimmy turned around and there was nobody to throw the ball to. Sermon I'm not sure was the actual target as he was stuck in traffic. But yeah, Deebo looks like he completely took himself out of the play. Odd. 

Someone on Twitter said it was on Jimmy but people really like to just bag on him for everything. I think it was just a weird play design. Designed screen to the area deebo vacated, so his motion makes sense as he would force defenders to follow him helping to clear the area intended screen. But it's super weird because Jimmy doesn't even try to sell the fake, and Jimmy always sells the fake. He doesn't even acknowledge deebo coming around. Not sure if seeing the pressure worried him, but as a screen you'd think he was expecting it. That's kind of the point lol. I don't know. Just really weird. 

I know the one last week against the eagles was on Jimmy however (Mitchell was on the side with the hole)

Heard Kyle quoted as saying his biggest regret was the punt in the third quarter. Apparently the Packers DL yelled JGs snap count on that third and one and Old MackDonald heard it and snapped the ball when no one was ready. That's why it looked so funky. We lost yardage and then he didn't want to call the QB sneak on fourth down. 

Man, that's nothing but excuses there. I get it that the third down play was screwed up and now it's 4th and 2 instead of 4th and 1, but you still have to go for it there. In for a penny, in for a pound. You either play to win, or you punt. 

Brandon Staley went for it on fourth and 9 in a tie game IN arrowhead under 2 minutes on the KC 25 yardline. THAT is how you win ball games 

Side note: Old MackDonald feels like a pretty great nickname, but then I get sad thinking about him getting abused by Aaron Donald. Man, the rams are going to absolutely destroy us aren't they? Sheesh 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, N4L said:

Heard Kyle quoted as saying his biggest regret was the punt in the third quarter. Apparently the Packers DL yelled JGs snap count on that third and one and Old MackDonald heard it and snapped the ball when no one was ready. That's why it looked so funky. We lost yardage and then he didn't want to call the QB sneak on fourth down. 

Man, that's nothing but excuses there. I get it that the third down play was screwed up and now it's 4th and 2 instead of 4th and 1, but you still have to go for it there. In for a penny, in for a pound. You either play to win, or you punt. 

Brandon Staley went for it on fourth and 9 in a tie game IN arrowhead under 2 minutes on the KC 25 yardline. THAT is how you win ball games 

Side note: Old MackDonald feels like a pretty great nickname, but then I get sad thinking about him getting abused by Aaron Donald. Man, the rams are going to absolutely destroy us aren't they? Sheesh 

I don't think we'll get destroyed. I feel we're too talented to get completely owned by anyone. But I do feel like McVay is going to have an array plays set-up to brilliatly counter our D-Line's aggressive nature to get upfield. They're going to view Stafford as a sitting duck back there and McVay's going to use that to his advantage. Hopefully Ryans has settled in by then but I'm not holding my breath. I'm definitely not expecting a win though.