2021 Cowboys News and Notes

Matts4313

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

People thought it was lip service, but McCarthy really did buy into using analytics to make those decisions for him. 

Thanks PFF!

It is very nice that this is the case, and certainly the NFL as a whole is not good at this. But, optimizing of 4th down decision making is the lowest hanging of football analytics fruit. Would be curious to know how, if at all, we are using analytics in more interesting ways.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

#feelsgoodman

NOTE: Up/down arrows illustrate movement from the Week 6 QB Index. Rankings reflect each quarterback's standing heading into Week 7, based solely on 2021 play.

Rank
                              =>1 <=whooo hooo 

Dak Prescott

Dallas Cowboys · Year 6

2021 stats: 6 games | 73.1 pct | 1,813 pass yds | 8.4 ypa | 16 pass TD | 4 INT | 70 rush yds | 0 rush TD | 6 fumbles

It's the decision making under pressure that does it for me. The Patriots threw every post-snap coverage change possible at Dak, and he digested it all, spitting out Bill Belichick's game plan any time extra pressure was sent. Pro Football Focus' numbers back up the eye test, with Dak hitting seven passes (with two big-time throws) on 13 attempts against pressure, including many of the game's decisive plays. There's a long way to go in this season, but if I need one quarterback to make one play in any situation right now, that quarterback is Rayne Dakota Prescott.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-qb-index-week-7-2021-season-rankings

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

#feelsgoodman

NOTE: Up/down arrows illustrate movement from the Week 6 QB Index. Rankings reflect each quarterback's standing heading into Week 7, based solely on 2021 play.

Rank
                              =>1 <=whooo hooo 

Dak Prescott

Dallas Cowboys · Year 6

2021 stats: 6 games | 73.1 pct | 1,813 pass yds | 8.4 ypa | 16 pass TD | 4 INT | 70 rush yds | 0 rush TD | 6 fumbles

It's the decision making under pressure that does it for me. The Patriots threw every post-snap coverage change possible at Dak, and he digested it all, spitting out Bill Belichick's game plan any time extra pressure was sent. Pro Football Focus' numbers back up the eye test, with Dak hitting seven passes (with two big-time throws) on 13 attempts against pressure, including many of the game's decisive plays. There's a long way to go in this season, but if I need one quarterback to make one play in any situation right now, that quarterback is Rayne Dakota Prescott.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-qb-index-week-7-2021-season-rankings

Turns out plan9 was right all along! Dak doesn’t resemble just any NFL QB, he resembles an elite one.

• Like 4