2021 Week Three GDT Steelers vs the Bengals!

Steeler Hitman

Will Da Steelers do enough to beat the Bengals?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins? Steelers or Bengals

• Yes, Steelers rebound at home and offense does just enough to win.
    • No, the Bengals win and further humiliate a struggling Steelers offense

Steelers-Crying-JOrdan-e1474895955592.jp

It was a tough loss against the Raiders last week and I am still bummed out. The same look

aster the Bengals game last December! - - Sometimes it isn't that you lost, but the way you lost! 

Da Steelers @ the Bengals

steelers-vs-bengals.jpg

Sunday, September 26, 2021 @ 1 pm 

Series History: Steelers lead 67 - 36

Last Meeting 12/20/20 in Cincinnati which resulted in an embarrassing 27-17 loss 

babies_that_are_pissed_24.jpg

Steelers039-Najee-Harris-dashes-to-first-career-touchdown-in-loss.jpg?w=1280&ssl=1

It is time to get Najee Harris going more. Get him some blocking, put the ball in his hands via run or pass, and let him lead the offense while it gets untracked.  

Steelers039-Mike-Tomlin-defends-Trai-Tur

It should open the friendly skies a bit more. If the Steelers OL can give Ben time. The middle of the field is typically open. Can we start throwing some passes there?

23340197_web1_201119-ABB-claypool-1_1.jp

Perhaps then they can get Ju Ju, Dionte, Claypool, Ebron and Freiermuth going?

HX30083-e1632139968383.jpg?resize=1000,6

Half of the Steelers defense is hurting.  Can Highsmith and company step up while the others get healthy?

th?id=OIP.FspRvzWHJGUZMINRfUjdjQHaEI&pid

I am 0-2 so don't listen to anything that I predict. 😁 The Bengals played two tough games and could easily be 2 - 0. They beat the stuffing out the Steelers last year in a game the Steeler offense was supposed to wake up and come to life. It still hasn't awaken.  Toss the keys to Najee Harris and let him drive.  The OL is a hot mess though. The good thing is the run blocking is probably slightly better than last year. Steelers offense is  averaging a whopping 16.5 points per game. 🥵 Defense will have to help, but they are hurting and the Bengals are competing and better than the team that embarrassed Pittsburgh last December. I have little confidence in this Steelers offense, but I think the defense helps the Steelers earn a hard fought 24 - 19 win. I hope!!!😨

Ugh.

I have zero faith in this offense.   Ben looks old and disinterested.    The OLine looks like a line starting completely inexperienced (and is some cases, unqualified) players at every position.    The WRs are either overrated or not being used properly...hard to say which.

Defense lost an underrated piece in Alualu, whose career may be over.  Several other key injuries. 

There is no team that CANT beat us right now.

• Like 1

Hate to be that guy but most of the forum has went full gloom and doom after losing this past weekend.

This team beat the Bills in Buffalo and then lost to a Raiders team that also beat the Ravens with about 4-5 starters out on defense.

Im aware the offense blows but that should be expected to a degree with a brand new OL.

Im aware Ben hasn’t looked good...I’m just saying maybe the team is gonna end up somewhere between what we saw weeks 1 and 2.

Just my .02

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AFF said:

Hate to be that guy but most of the forum has went full gloom and doom after losing this past weekend.

This team beat the Bills in Buffalo and then lost to a Raiders team that also beat the Ravens with about 4-5 starters out on defense.

Im aware the offense blows but that should be expected to a degree with a brand new OL.

Im aware Ben hasn’t looked good...I’m just saying maybe the team is gonna end up somewhere between what we saw weeks 1 and 2.

Just my .02

I dont think its so much losing as it was realizing that not much has changed and the offense looks like its actually going to be WORSE than last year.   

Difference is, we have a much tougher schedule and a weaker defense....even moreso with Alualu out.

15 hours ago, 43M said:

Ugh.

I have zero faith in this offense. 

Hard to have faith in them they way they have performed. The problem is consistency. They make a play here or there, but realistically don't string together enough drives to win. 

Ben looks old and disinterested. 

I disagree with you and many others here.  While Ben is not the Ben of say 2010 or 2016, he has not been the problem or played so poorly that he is hindering the offense. Good run or pass on first down to go second and two. Second down a two yard loss. Third down an incomplete pass. Fourth down a punt.  Ben was supposed to get help/support. He hasn't consistently enough. The weapons are there the execution is not. 

The OLine looks like a line starting completely inexperienced (and is some cases, unqualified) players at every position. 

I always say that they are back-ups for a reason. I would feel more like you did if the tackle position was solidified with Banner and Chucks playing LT. They have been on par for what we expected under these circumstances. They haven't completely wet the bed so to speak nor have they lit it up. But the reality is that we have a rookie at C who is still learning the position, a finesse LT playing RT, a rookie playing LT, and two solid run blockers at OG who need parts around them to jell. I pray that Zach Banner is completely healthy (as healthy as you can be from major surgery a year ago) and able to go come week four. Banner and Turner make make life much easier for Najee and Ben. 

The WRs are either overrated or not being used properly...hard to say which.

Cohesion is the issue. They keep trying to hit on 50/50 long balls and are connecting about at the same rate. Third and three don't throw up a 50/50 ball 50 yards downfield. Get the first down. They love the four yard patterns. Here's when you hit that. Four yards gets you four more downs. That's the problem with this offense, the scheme, and ultimately why they are not executing. 

Defense lost an underrated piece in Alualu, whose career may be over.  Several other key injuries. 

Unfortunately injuries are a part of a physical/warrior game. I am cautiously optimistic that he may be able to come back late in the year and that it will matter. Tyson is a great guy and I hope it doesn't end this way for him. He is signed for another year. He's a tough guy who fits our defensive scheme well. Hopefully, this will be the worst of it. Last year it happened near the end, when the team was tired and the offense was on fumes. This year, hopefully the defense can stay in tact and the offense can round into some semblance of cohesion. This won't be Air Coryell of the 80's, but they can be Denver of 2015 when they beat Carolina in the SB if all goes well. I think that is the blueprint this team should follow.

There is no team that CANT beat us right now.

True statement because the Steelers often beat themselves. It is a game of inches and all plays make a difference. Ben rolls out, avoids, the rush and launches a catchable pass to his "pass catching TE" who drops it. Result punt on fourth down. Ben rolls out, extends a play, and launches a 50/50 ball to his shifty WR who quits running on the route. Result is an INT. These are the things that must be cleaned up. Until they are, your statement is a very true statement. More discipline and execution are needed and that isn't all on the aging QB with the bad elbow. For as bad as they are at times, this is also a team, that if they play their A Game (which we don't see enough of) can also BEAT any team!

13 hours ago, AFF said:

I agree with you wholeheartedly. But this team can frustrate the heck out of you. Losing stinks, but it is not so much the losing, but how this team loses. 

T

his team beat the Bills in Buffalo and then lost to a Raiders team that also beat the Ravens with about 4-5 starters out on defense.

The difference between being 0-2, 1-1, and 2-0 is a lot closer than many think. Both games could have gone either way with the execution or non execution of a few plays on both sides of the ball. One major issues is that the defense is being left on the field too long and too often because the offense can't be consistent. 

I'm aware the offense blows but that should be expected to a degree with a brand new OL.

The new OL is actually not intact yet with Banner being out and thereby weakening both tackle positions. Banner is a finesse LT playing out of place, and they have a rookie LT who is playing before his ideal development time. I think this unit is better at least in terms of run blocking with Banner and Turner on the right side. 

I'm aware Ben hasn’t looked good...I’m just saying maybe the team is gonna end up somewhere between what we saw weeks 1 and 2.

Ben is 39 and was supposed to be getting help. He is not the reason this team lost. He certainly could have made a few plays, but again, his SUPPORTING CAST WAS EXPECTED TO STEP UP!!!! They have not on offense. Some due to injuries and some due to execution. I have said many times to follow the blueprint that the 2015 Broncos used with Peyton. While Peyton is one of the most elite minds at QB, his arm was not anywhere near what it was and he was never known to be second coming of Jeff George arm-wise ever. Ben is better physically than Peyton was then. Rely on Najee more and if you can't manufacture the run game, get him outside and in space to get him the ball. Use the young legs a little to open some things up.  The 50/50 balls to Claypool are as predictable as the 50/50 results that come from the supporting cast. Ebron, Dionte, Chase need to step their game up. Get the ball to Ju Ju more as well. Let him something besides a 4 yard in or cross. 

Just my .02

Great points and solid comments, so I'd give you at least a quarter(.25).😁

Edited by Steeler Hitman
Complete responses to comments didn't post

1 minute ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I disagree with you and many others here.  While Ben is not the Ben of say 2010 or 2016, he has not been the problem or played so poorly that he is hindering the offense. Good run or pass on first down to go second and two. Second down a two yard loss. Third down an incomplete pass. Fourth down a punt.  Ben was supposed to get help/support. He hasn't consistently enough. The weapons are there the execution is not. 

Im not saying Ben is the biggest issue because he isn't, but he absolutely looks and sounds like an aging QB going through the motions.   He doesn't seem interested in the new offense, he is playing scared behind this weak OL (which he never did when he was younger), his arm looks weaker, and he just overall looks like a shell of himself.

Even if you have some faith in Ben, the reality is, things aren't going to get much better while he is still here.   Im not saying things will get better after he leaves, but clinging onto the past never works out well for this team.   We held onto numerous players over the years longer than we should have.

Ben absolutely should have retired this past offseason....both for his sake and the teams.    You can claim he still has what it takes, but even if he does (which I dont believe), its not with this team in the condition its in.  

Someone mentioned Cam Newton, who I think would actually be better for us right now.   Not that he would be great or take us notably further, but he has more mobility and I dont think he would play as scared.   He would make more mistakes than Ben, but I think he could move this current offense better than Ben can.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 43M said:

I'm not saying Ben is the biggest issue because he isn't, but he absolutely looks and sounds like an aging QB going through the motions.

The reality is that he is an aging QB. I don't think he is just going through the motions. He would have simply left as Pouncey and DeCastro did. 

He doesn't seem interested in the new offense, he is playing scared behind this weak OL (which he never did when he was younger), his arm looks weaker, and he just overall looks like a shell of himself.

The problem that I have with this argument is that you can't look at Ben both ways. Since, he is a 39 year old trying not to get killed behind a patchwork OL, get him help. He is not the issue there. It is the patchwork OL. As an old guy myself, I am not scared, but wise enough to pick my battles. 💪 The team needs Big Ben to win consistently this year. Whether that happens is to be determined. You need other ingredients to look good when you are 39, have taken a beating, and your supporting cast isn't the best. Replace Ben with Mason and you just have a younger guy getting his butt kicked. 

USATSI_16787462-1024x683.jpg

Your OL should want to minimize hits to the QB. When you have missing pieces, you are forced to just hold it together. Not how you want your 39 year old QB to look after every other pass play.

Even if you have some faith in Ben, the reality is, things aren't going to get much better while he is still here.   

That is kind of a blanket statement. Would this be any different if Mason were there with the bad OL play and inconsistent rushing attack? Fix those things and you fix a lot of the problem. Your QB has sore ribs not because he is a shell of himself, but because the OL is getting him killed in pass protection and the OL isn't opening holes. PERIOD! Football is still won in the trenches. They made the decision to keep Ben and I have moved on from whether it was the right or wrong thing to do. He's the QB. Through two weeks of 2021 Steeler football, Big Ben is not anywhere near the root cause of the Steelers offensive woes. That is the only point I am contending. He was supposed to get help as part of the plan in bringing him back. Sorry, but the HELP hasn't stepped up enough. They are getting Najee hit too much as well. Difference is he is a 20+ year old RB at 240 muscular pounds. I don't want to see the future franchise abused now either. 

I'm not saying things will get better after he leaves, but clinging onto the past never works out well for this team.   We held onto numerous players over the years longer than we should have.

We agree there. No debate from me here.

Ben absolutely should have retired this past offseason....both for his sake and the teams.    You can claim he still has what it takes, but even if he does (which I don't believe), its not with this team in the condition it's in.  

You may be 100% correct, but I cannot objectively make that conclusion after just two games against good opponents and the injuries to an already depleted OL and half the defensive starters out. I disagree with the team thing. The solution wherever he is is to give him some help. The same growing pains happened in Tampa Bay last year too. It took some time before the champs jelled and supported their 40+ year old GOAT. I continue to use the Peyton Manning/Denver model. That is what Ben needs.  He has the defense, but needs protection and a running game. 

Someone mentioned Cam Newton, who I think would actually be better for us right now.   Not that he would be great or take us notably further, but he has more mobility and I don't think he would play as scared. 

Then it isn't worth it. You don't get style points. As ugly as the offense has been this team is 1-1 and not 0-2 and could be 2-0 with some plays made, opportunities cashed in, etc.  I love Cam and was saying to try to get him last year, but bringing in Cam at this point, our offense, development goes backwards before forward. Toughness isn't proving that you can take a  hit. That is machismo. Wisdom is knowing that I can't do this like I did ten years ago. What did it get Ben back then, but hurt and beat up. He doesn't have to prove his toughness at this point. I want to see the team's toughness and his wisdom/savvy. 

He would make more mistakes than Ben, but I think he could move this current offense better than Ben can.

This team is already making too many mistakes, which is why I would be against that move at this point. Get Banner back and decide if you want to go with Chuks on the left side or bring in a vet like Okung. It would cost, but protecting your QB and establishing a run game is worth it to me.

StockOffensiveLine1.jpg

The OL has to toughen up, not the 39 year old QB getting his butt kick! That's not being a fan or homer, just stating the facts. The Steelers are losing at trench warfare! PERIOD! Rarely are they second and five. Typically it turns to third seven because the RB gets tackled behind the LOS. 

Ben is a big part of the problem with the offense. I am not discounting OL issues, but Ben is not reading the defense very well, and he is not consistently making throws to open receivers. There are plenty of examples from people who know a lot more about football than I do. My guess is Ben is anticipating pressure and getting rid of the ball as soon as he can on many plays. 

Defenses are crowding near the LOS to stop the run and prevent the short throws. Until the O can consistently hit medium range passes to counter it, we're going to see the same thing every week. 

It has been this way since Baltimore did it last year, and then Washington made it the blueprint.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cjfollett said:

Ben is a big part of the problem with the offense.

Disagree with that part. It just hasn't seemed that way to me. Yes it is easy to calmly sit and pick apart plays in slow motion. The OL is THE BIG PROBLEM in my opinion. 

I am not discounting OL issues, but Ben is not reading the defense very well, and he is not consistently making throws to open receivers.

Couldn't that be largely contributed to the lack of OL help? I am talking root cause. Truthfully, I have seen a a lot of WIDE OPEN receivers. For some reason, I keep seeing that some people are expecting 39 yo Ben to still play like 29 yo Ben.  I saw an article speaking of Ben missing check downs, but that is assuming there is always time and comfort/confidence in the OL to give time to go through all of the progressions. Get him some protection and a running game and the comfort/confidence will increase.

There are plenty of examples from people who know a lot more about football than I do. My guess is Ben is anticipating pressure and getting rid of the ball as soon as he can on many plays. 

I respect your football acumen and knowledge of the team as I do many others. The comparisons, expectations and reality all have to match up or it is not an apples to apples comparison. You are correct that Ben is anticipating and getting rid of the ball. For years we have been trying to get him to get rid of the ball and not take a beating. At 39, we really don't want him getting hit like he did against the Raiders. He took some big shots. 

Defenses are crowding near the LOS to stop the run and prevent the short throws. Until the O can consistently hit medium range passes to counter it, we're going to see the same thing every week. 

The OL has to do two things: Open holes in the run game and give time in the passing game. The counter is the intermediate passing game and the middle of the field. When you crowd the LOS there are areas that your receivers have to get to and the offense needs to attack to counter. The receivers are not getting a lot of separation consistently. When Henry Ruggs scored he was three or four steps ahead of the defense. Great combo of speed and attacking a defensive tendency. I don't see this from Claypool, Washington, or Johnson consistently. They don't seem to have Ju Ju running any routes more than five yards (being facetious). 😝

It has been this way since Baltimore did it last year, and then Washington made it the blueprint.

The reasons: No OL help. Means no run game. No run game means attacking defense. No pass protection means quick throws to try to mitigate the damage of your 39 year old QB getting pounded. The OL has to start winning some battles. Neither Buffalo or the Raiders have "great DL's," but they matched up very well against our OL. As bad as the OL play has been with a LT playing out of position and two rookies, it may be slightly better overall than last years OL in December and January.  They have to weather the storm until Banner comes back (hopefully next week) and Chuks can play his more comfortable LT.  When Najee can become a threat, the defense will have to change its scheme. It still all starts up front. Fix the OL and a lot of the offensive issues will go away.