TNF: CAR @ HOU

Sad People

Who wins TNF?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Panthers
    • Texans

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/24/2021 at 12:30 AM

Just now, Broncofan said:

I don’t have a problem if HOU doesn’t think there is a franchise level QBOTF when they pick.   I share the concerns there.  I wonder if guys like Desmond Ridder (age vs competition is main concern) or Malik Willis might become the next Burrow though.   

Willis is growing on me, and I wouldn't mind seeing him... with maybe the 15th pick, either after a trade down, a trade up from 2.(x) or assets acquired from a Watson trade. Ditto with Carson Strong or Desmond Ridder. The ONLY QB I could be talked into in the top 5 is Matt Corral (not just for the Texans, but anyone in the market for a QB). Everything else is a huge risk and a lost opportunity at an impact player at another position of need. This feels like an EJ Manuel/Geno Smith draft (if I'm feeling that way, that pretty much means there are two HoF guys in there... but I digress).

While I'm up on this defense compared to where I was this off-season, I still don't see a competent body at Edge or CB - sure, the Texans have cobbled together a few bodies, but nobody there is capable of raising the bar around them. Kayvon Thibodeaux or Derek Stingley Jr would be my pick, with Kyle Hamilton as an option if the Texans let Justin Reid walk.

23 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I've been a big detractor of Davis Mills, but I liked what I saw yesterday from him - I see his ceiling as a very competent backup, but i don't think the Texans should force a QB next off-season.

Perhaps my view is based on declines of guys such as Spencer Rattler, Sam Howell and Kedon Slovis - but the Texans might be best served by going non-QB BPA next draft, letting Tyrod/Mills compete for 2022, then going QB in 2023 (hopefully with a compliment of picks following a Deshaun Watson trade). 2023, it's Mills/Tyrod keeps the seat warm for a guy like Bryce Young or DJ Uiagalelei, who will redshirt (which is looking more and more like a requirement nowadays).

100% roll with Mills/Taylor for now and take the BPA approach. You're not going to the Superbowl any time soon. Taylor is a proven vet bridge option when healthy. Mills showed some spark. Let them be the sacrificial lambs while you retool. If Mills doesn't break behind that O-line, he's good enough to spot start. If he does, you're not looking for him to be your franchise guy anyway. But if you put a rookie out there and expect him to be a star, you're more likely to have another David Carr situation honestly. 

Build up the offense and give it a year or two for a QBOTF to ride the pine/mop up. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Willis is growing on me, and I wouldn't mind seeing him... with maybe the 15th pick, either after a trade down, a trade up from 2.(x) or assets acquired from a Watson trade. Ditto with Carson Strong or Desmond Ridder. The ONLY QB I could be talked into in the top 5 is Matt Corral (not just for the Texans, but anyone in the market for a QB). Everything else is a huge risk and a lost opportunity at an impact player at another position of need. This feels like an EJ Manuel/Geno Smith draft (if I'm feeling that way, that pretty much means there are two HoF guys in there... but I digress).

While I'm up on this defense compared to where I was this off-season, I still don't see a competent body at Edge or CB - sure, the Texans have cobbled together a few bodies, but nobody there is capable of raising the bar around them. Kayvon Thibodeaux or Derek Stingley Jr would be my pick, with Kyle Hamilton as an option if the Texans let Justin Reid walk.

If a true, top of draft QB shows up, no way HOU should pass.  You can't count on the same opp presenting itself the following year.    Problem is, there's no obvious guy there yet.  Still early, but that's worrisome for teams looking for QBOTF long-term.

But, the team's so bad, I have no problem in saying don't reach.   This team is bad enough, they could have a top 5 pick in 2022 AND 2023.   Like you said, I'd be very interested in moving back, if you can acquire multiple 2023 1sts.  That might be the window to improve the roster AND get the QBOTF.   It was my main argument for DEN going all in on Fields at 1.9, or Stafford for 1.9, or Watson/ARod/Wilson for multiple 1sts - they've spent enough time building the roster, now a true franchise level rookie QB at rookie $ would help our leap to sustained contention so much.   Even if you get a very good QB now, it's not going to help you in 2022 to contend.  HOU's window best-case is 2023-24 - just that it's accelerated if you do find the QBOTF....just doesn't need a reach next year if no obvious top-of-draft guys are there.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

On 9/22/2021 at 7:06 PM, EvilenFroggen said:

The point is, Davis Mills may not be able to beat us on a Thursday, but that doesn't mean the universe can't.

I... yeesh, I'm sorry. You're right. 

Good win... but not at the cost of McCaffrey and Horn. 

Even with those I think two fumbles, Darnold was given a 83.2 passing grade by PFF. And that was also with three "big time throws" credited. Pretty nice, since with PFF fumbles seem to nuke a quarterback's grade. Average depth of target was 8.1 yards. Through three games Darnold has had at least a 70 plus grade. Even without checking further I'm guessing that's his best three game stretch in his career. 

15 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Even with those I think two fumbles, Darnold was given a 83.2 passing grade by PFF. And that was also with three "big time throws" credited. Pretty nice, since with PFF fumbles seem to nuke a quarterback's grade. Average depth of target was 8.1 yards. Through three games Darnold has had at least a 70 plus grade. Even without checking further I'm guessing that's his best three game stretch in his career. 

It probably is. Still think fumbling is a big issue for Darnold and will cost him sooner rather than later but he is much more comfortable in Joe Brady's offense.