WEEK 3: UNDEFEATED 2-0 Denver Broncos vs 0-2 New York Jets - 2.05pm MDT /// 4.05pm EDT

lomaxgrUK

Keeping it brief seems to be working, so I will do the same again ...

1. Force 3rd and long

Zach Wilson's struggles thus far are well documented. If we can consistently force 3rd and long, thus being able to throw in disguised coverages and different blitz packages, I can't see it ending well for Wilson.
Stop the run, make them throw on 3rd down. Simple enough plan.

2. Get ahead early

We missed the chance to jump ahead early in the Jags game, both due to our own fault (sack in the redzone) and the officials taking explosive plays away from us. Linking to point 1 - if we can get ahead and force the Jets to throw, it's likely to benefit us massively.
We need quality redzone execution in order to get that early lead we crave.

3. Don't let ST ruin our competitive advantage 

I don't need to elaborate on this. So much good work on Offense and Defense can be ruined on Special Teams. We absolutely have to nail down our Punt coverage in particular (no stadium has less kickoff returns than ours due to the thin air).

• Like 2

I'm not gonna lie. As much as I would hate it in the moment, I hope we give up another Special Teams TD this week. Get Tom outta here!

I guess I should say, Ideally Tom miraculously turns it around and is an effective coach, but I highly doubt thats going to happen.  

Edited by grizmo78

Just for kicks, here’s how we rank after 2 weeks:

Offense    Defense
Total          7th            3rd
Passing     11th           5th
Rushing     5th            4th
Points        13th          5th (1st without the ST TD)

Obviously we should take this with a grain of salt, but bad teams don't worry me too much.

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Keeping it brief seems to be working, so I will do the same again ...

1. Force 3rd and long

Zach Wilson's struggles thus far are well documented. If we can consistently force 3rd and long, thus being able to throw in disguised coverages and different blitz packages, I can't see it ending well for Wilson.
Stop the run, make them throw on 3rd down. Simple enough plan.

2. Get ahead early

We missed the chance to jump ahead early in the Jags game, both due to our own fault (sack in the redzone) and the officials taking explosive plays away from us. Linking to point 1 - if we can get ahead and force the Jets to throw, it's likely to benefit us massively.
We need quality redzone execution in order to get that early lead we crave.

3. Don't let ST ruin our competitive advantage 

I don't need to elaborate on this. So much good work on Offense and Defense can be ruined on Special Teams. We absolutely have to nail down our Punt coverage in particular (no stadium has less kickoff returns than ours due to the thin air).

1. Right now Wilson is completely lost in recognition of NFL-level defenses, and this isn't helping:

So yeah, get Wilson in obvious passing downs, and we should feast.

2. Offense early start - on the flip side, the Jets secondary is very beatable.   Their biggest problem we could face is letting their DL pin their ears back on Teddy B.   Our OL play has really taken a step forward, but it's always easier with the lead.    

3.  ST / TO's / Game management - the "hidden" areas where teams can make up ground.   These 3 games are probably why Teddy won the job - don't turn the ball over, let the better talent win out on other areas of the field.   The ST play is a major concern - when we face equally or more talented teams, losing the ST's will hurt us, we're just so much better than the teams we've face, it hasn't cost us.  That won't last once the competition improves.     

The -10.5 spread is very much deserved, and if we play to our best abilities, we should cover.   Still, it's easy to see this is a look-ahead game, so I'm not touching that line, I'll just gladly take a W with no additional key injuries.     I'm home for the first time in 2 weeks, so looking forward to actually watching most of the game live.

There's not a position group on the Jets I'd take before ours. Pretty huge talent gap, they've got a ways to go on the rebuild. I liked Wilson a lot coming out but he's clearly out of his depth right now and not getting a lot of help from his backs/receivers/oline. Dre'mont, Shelby and the interior defensive guys could have their coming out party after being quiet thus far. 

I'd like to finally get movement in the trenches to open up the run game, not a lot has been there for the RBs the first two games. Get Fant involved more as well. 

First game back at home in front of an actual crowd, I don't see anyway this isn't a blowout.

Denver should absolutely smoke this Jets team. We're not world beaters by any means, but we just went on back to back east coast road trips and took down teams better than the Jets. Returning back to Mile High for an opener? With how Zach Wilson has been playing? Denver should win by 3+ TDs. 

I'll say 30-14 Denver. 

The Jets have a rookie HC, a rookie OC and a rookie QB. I like all of them and I think, if the Jets brass and fanbase can be patient, they have a nice set for the long term. 

That said, there’s no way the Jets roster can compete with ours. We have the best defensive mind in football running our defense, a stacked roster with tons of depth and a QB who looks to be well on his way to All Pro status. The team will be exceptionally well-prepared and play enormously hard for COY in-waiting Vic and his elite coaching staff. This game should end with a win that would embarrass even the most cynical Jets fans. 

Broncos 77, Jets 0

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 3:10 AM, BroncoBruin said:

Most worried about Quinnen Williams destroying our interior OL.

I sneaked in some all 22 of the Jets-Panthers game. Williams was unbelievable. It's a very genuine concern that he could massively impact our Offense. 

I will see if I can find it anywhere, but there was this mega weird play where Williams whooped the LG so quick that I think he thought it was a screen, so he just stopped 😆 So so so weird. Never seen anything like it before.

EDIT - found it!

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 4

I think this game will stay closer than it should for longer than one would expect. All the major injuries to our team over the last couple weeks are gonna change the dynamic a bit. But in the end, I think Wilson is gonna have a really hard time against our confusing coverage schemes. Add in Von looking like Von so far this year and that rookie QB is gonna have a rough go of things. 

One matchup that does worry me though is Williams vs Risner. Risner hasn’t been right for over a year now, and I wonder if he isn’t still dealing with some residual issues from that shoulder. Either way, he’s gonna have his hands full. 

Broncos 27

Jets 13

With Chubb out, I hope the Broncos give Cooper a real shot to split snaps with Reed. Ive seen Reed for the past 2-3 years and he is okay but I feel like giving Cooper a shot to build from his preseason performances is smart.

Also, with Von's contract up and Chubb consistently injured--it would be nice to know exactly what you have on your own roster to avoid another Shaq Barrett mistake.

1 hour ago, 1234567 said:

I think this game will stay closer than it should for longer than one would expect. All the major injuries to our team over the last couple weeks are gonna change the dynamic a bit. But in the end, I think Wilson is gonna have a really hard time against our confusing coverage schemes. Add in Von looking like Von so far this year and that rookie QB is gonna have a rough go of things. 

One matchup that does worry me though is Williams vs Risner. Risner hasn’t been right for over a year now, and I wonder if he isn’t still dealing with some residual issues from that shoulder. Either way, he’s gonna have his hands full. 

Broncos 27

Jets 13

I'm actually not too worried about Williams and our OL. Yeah, Risners not much but IMO never has been. He gets put on skates alot. Our OT's are playing good ball, Cush has marginally improved and so far Muti's been a pleasant surprise. I think the fan base will give him the Bolles treatment though. He's absolutely dominant for much of the game but when he whiffs it's spectacular and that's all people remember.

The change though is the pre snap calls by TB. He's really been good there and is nailing the protection calls. No matter what the defense sends he always seems to have one more guy in protection, he's rolling it the right way and he'll be putting Williams in a traffic jam. It's been so long since we've seen that (PFM era) I think we've forgotten it's even a part of the game.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

With Chubb out, I hope the Broncos give Cooper a real shot to split snaps with Reed. Ive seen Reed for the past 2-3 years and he is okay but I feel like giving Cooper a shot to build from his preseason performances is smart.

Also, with Von's contract up and Chubb consistently injured--it would be nice to know exactly what you have on your own roster to avoid another Shaq Barrett mistake.

You will see Shaq Barrett again in about three (3) years.