Draft Pick Watch 2022 | #15, #16 and TBD Picks

Danger

1 hour ago, ninjapirate said:

Miami looks like trash and carson isnt gonna ever be benched playing like that.

They (Reich) would never bench him unless he was playing injured. Especially playing the draft pick game.

It would be to much like Pederson/Wentz /Eagles from last year. Franks anything but stupid! Just have to hope they lose games despite him playing well to reach the % clause. 

8 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

I'm not sure. I think at some point Godell would step in and put him on the Exempt List before he even got a chance to start a game. 

Yea I think that happened before. A team was going to let a guy play or practice and Roger stepped in and put him on a list. I guess if he’s not playing there’s no reason to intervene. I gotta imagine that any team inquiring already knows, as it currently sits, whether he’d be eligible to play right away. And also, is he getting paid? I think the NFLPA would really get after a team not paying him and not officially putting him on a list. If they just chose to sit him and still pay him, good on ya I guess. 

2 hours ago, Scalamania said:

I'm not sure. I think at some point Godell would step in and put him on the Exempt List before he even got a chance to start a game. 

If this is true why not just do it now? The Texans are paying this dude millions of dollars every week to be inactive. As far as I know if the Texans activated him this week and he was willing to start he would be good to play.

The NFL has a lot of rules and things I don't know so I could be completely wrong, but the dude is on the active Texans roster right now. You have to think if the Texans thought they could get out of paying him money by simply activating him and saying we will play him if you don't put him on the exempt list... they would.

Just now, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

If this is true why not just do it now?

The answer to this is very easy. He's not playing so why would they step in? The Texans are clearly fine with paying him and letting him sit on the bench for the season, there's no reason for the NFL to do anything unless they have to - and they haven't had to yet. 

Just now, Scalamania said:

The answer to this is very easy. He's not playing so why would they step in? The Texans are clearly fine with paying him and letting him sit on the bench for the season, there's no reason for the NFL to do anything unless they have to - and they haven't had to yet. 

Yeah maybe. Seems like a pretty simple lose, lose for the Texans though. I know they are an idiotic organization ran by idiots, but the one thing rich idiots hate is throwing their money away. You have to think they have communicated with the league and considered all their possibilities. If what you are saying is true it is literally a win/win to activate him. Either you activate him, tell him he is starting and he sits out and you get to dock his pay... or the league puts him on the exempt list and you are off the hook either way.

The ONLY way it is bad is if Watson decides to actually play for the Texan which clearly wouldn't happen at this point.

Like I said I might be completely wrong here, just responding based on what I know/see. If the Texans are actually dumb enough to just pay this dude millions of dollars for no reason I'd be surprised, but it is the Texans so I won't say it is impossible lol.

2 hours ago, Scalamania said:

Especially the bad PR stuff happening right now for the league, not even slapping Watson's wrist would blow up pretty big.

Best he's out until the civil suits are concluded and you know what the deal is.

13 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

If the Texans are actually dumb enough to just pay this dude millions of dollars for no reason I'd be surprised, but it is the Texans so I won't say it is impossible lol.

They already are paying him 620k per game to not play for the past six weeks so I'm not sure why you'd be surprised that they're dumb enough to pay him millions (which the already have) to do nothing (which he's been doing). 

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the league hasn’t made a decision about Watson because it doesn’t have to make a decision about Watson. With the Texans content to pay him to not play and with Watson content to not play and get paid for it, the NFL has no reason to do anything about it. He’s already on paid leave.

It’s a lesson the NFL learned through past mistakes. Taking action always puts the league in a position to make a mistake. Taking no action leads to no mistakes, at least not those of commission.

And that’s the other side of this one. If/when the Texans trade Watson, the league will have to look at whether he should be placed on paid leave. That’s a risk that Watson’s new team would be assuming, along with everything else arising from 22 civil lawsuits alleging sexual misconduct during massage therapy sessions and the 10 criminal complaints arising therefrom

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/09/11/nfl-isnt-taking-action-against-deshaun-watson-because-it-doesnt-have-to/

It's really not hard to figure out - they haven't done anything because they don't have to. Both the Texans and Watson are fine with the situation playing out the way it has.

There's no chance that Houston is all of a sudden going to activate/start a potential serial abuser/rapist/pervert. It'd be a terrible look for that franchise and for the NFL as a whole given what is currently going on with the WFT situation. 

I think it’s simple. He hasn’t been convicted of anything yet. Everyone has their day in court. The Texans can’t suspend or fine a guy for, as it stands, just accusations. I think everyone and their momma know he’s guilty as charged but not just yet. The Texans would look awful playing a guy that’s as troubled as Watson. But also pretty bad suspending a guy that, in the eyes of the law, hasn’t done anything wrong. NFL has to tread lightly until it’s time to drop the hammer. The NFLPA would rip them apart if they were to take checks away from a guy healthy and willing to play. At this point, I think Watson and his reps are just figuring out how much money is going to be doled out in exchange for a “Watson did nothing legally wrong” statements from those women so his playing career isn’t interrupted. 

28 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

According to Rapoport, Watson can’t go on the exempt list as he doesn’t currently have an felony charges against him. This explains a lot about what I was confused about but also definitely means that if a team trades for him he will be good to play. 

Here's another thing to consider. If the Dolphins are 1-6, or 1-7, does Watson want to go there?