Draft Pick Watch 2022 | #15, #16 and TBD Picks

Danger

1 minute ago, Jeezla said:

So 2 more full seasons of Howie, minimum

I’d think so. That SB will travel miles with Jeff. He’s a Boston boy and watching Kraft win all those bowls is what is the maximum pissing contest with those billionaires. “Yea, we’ve all got money but do you have rings?” He got one and he can sit at that table now, thanks to Howie. Jeff will have to be shown over and over and over the failures before he can wrap his feelings around firing Howie. I imagine it’ll be 2024 or so of continuous complete failures before Jeff moves on. And then he’s like 75 or something? May be time to hand it over to Julian.  

4 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Let's say Howie actually uses all 3 first round picks. Hits on 2 of them (kyle Hamilton and Lindbaum), but misses on the QB. Does he keep his job?

Howie’s a spinster bro. He’ll manipulate a few more years out of Jeff. They’re thick as thieves. 

7 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Let's say Howie actually uses all 3 first round picks. Hits on 2 of them (kyle Hamilton and Lindbaum), but misses on the QB. Does he keep his job?

If they take a QB it's like automatically giving him 3 seasons at least to make it work.

Hamilton is an awesome prospect, so maybe it helps. Not sure a center will, not much to gain for Howie aside he didn't blow it.

Howie's best shot is probably nail the QB choice in this weird group, get an elite DB and Edge player. Maybe move back with one to get more picks. 

Which is kinda the problem. Howie needs to get the QB right or he will start to be in the crosshairs.
That could force him to do real stupid stuff like trade away a lot for Watson or take one of the 2022 QBs.. of which there are very little standouts.

The worst case scenario is Howie reaching for one of these QBs with our highest pick for the sake of job security. Let him sit in 2022 perhaps to learn the ropes. By 2023 we’ll probably have a new HC who then wants his own QB. Either fire Howie or assure him he’s got the job another few years so he doesn’t hitch his wagon to a new QB.

Strong, Willis, Corral.. are these even 1st round QBs? I’d love taking 1 of them in the 2nd.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

The worst case scenario is Howie reaching for one of these QBs with our highest pick for the sake of job security. Let him sit in 2022 perhaps to learn the ropes. By 2023 we’ll probably have a new HC who then wants his own QB. Either fire Howie or assure him he’s got the job another few years so he doesn’t hitch his wagon to a new QB.

Strong, Willis, Corral.. are these even 1st round QBs? I’d love taking 1 of them in the 2nd.

A couple of them are lottery tickets. But you need patience and a staff to bring them along. Would be nice for that to be year one, but could be a bit like Herbert and they do solid despite the coaches and then you get a new staff to maximize them.

But yeah Howie likely stays throughout it all unfortunately if they take one, unless they are like Haskins level bad.

4 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

A couple of them are lottery tickets. But you need patience and a staff to bring them along. Would be nice for that to be year one, but could be a bit like Herbert and they do solid despite the coaches and then you get a new staff to maximize them.

But yeah Howie likely stays throughout it all unfortunately if they take one, unless they are like Haskins level bad.

Haven’t done much deliberate watching of these guys, but I’ve found myself watching probably 50% of Strong’s  snaps at this point because there’s not much else to bet on after 10PM. LOVE his arm. From what I’ve seen of Corral and Ridder, heard of Willis and Pickett, nobody comes close to his arm talent in this class. Strength, touch, placement, I think it’s all there and at a high level. 

However, he’s not an athlete. That right there makes me scoff at idea of him as top 3 pick. Not in current NFL. He’s not a statue but he’d be the least athletic QB taken high since Goff. Mobility is major factor for me as OL play seems to deteriorate league wide as years go on, and it makes it so much easier early on to get a QB comfortable if they have legs.

Using our top pick on Strong and then putting him behind a questionable OL, with questionable pass catchers, with a questionable coach? That is a pick that seems doomed from the get go. I’ll take that shot with a 2nd round pick. 

6 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Haven’t done much deliberate watching of these guys, but I’ve found myself watching probably 50% of Strong’s  snaps at this point because there’s not much else to bet on after 10PM. LOVE his arm. From what I’ve seen of Corral and Ridder, heard of Willis and Pickett, nobody comes close to his arm talent in this class. Strength, touch, placement, I think it’s all there and at a high level. 

However, he’s not an athlete. That right there makes me scoff at idea of him as top 3 pick. Not in current NFL. He’s not a statue but he’d be the least athletic QB taken high since Goff. Mobility is major factor for me as OL play seems to deteriorate league wide as years go on, and it makes it so much easier early on to get a QB comfortable if they have legs.

Using our top pick on Strong and then putting him behind a questionable OL, with questionable pass catchers, with a questionable coach? That is a pick that seems doomed from the get go. I’ll take that shot with a 2nd round pick. 

Yeah arm talent is #1, you aren’t going to get very far unless you are like super quick and accurate with the ball (See: Drew Brees), or maybe super athletic (Lamar)…but that path is very narrow with not much success. Strong’s limited athleticism isn’t something I love but yeah perhaps a forgivable thing.

At some point looking ahead earlier this year I landed on Corral and Ridder as the possible guys who fit the mold. I need to check back in with them. From last year Corral had a great long ball and accuracy deep, and the athleticism to add something to your offense. But he needs work like all these guys. 

It sucks cause a lot of these guys I think could develop but it isn’t going to happen here with this staff. Unless Hurts is even worse than we already think he is and making him look mediocre is a Herculean feat.

I really wanted Hurts to show us something, but right now he’s looking like the backup he was drafted to be. Coming to terms that we are very likely drafting guy rd 1 or trading for a vet we probably shouldn’t trade for. Have a weird feeling if all the stuff in Seattle is still happening under the surface, they try to get Wilson.

Carson Strong also has concerns about his knee. It'll be interesting to see how that checks out come the combine/draft process because I've read a few things about people because skeptical of that knees ability to hold up. 

If we decide to take a quarterback this year might as well roll the dice and take Willis. 

47 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Carson Strong also has concerns about his knee. It'll be interesting to see how that checks out come the combine/draft process because I've read a few things about people because skeptical of that knees ability to hold up. 

If we decide to take a quarterback this year might as well roll the dice and take Willis. 

An injury riddled QB named Carson? Sounds fun 

Right now Tankathon has our picks listed at #2 (Miami), but that pick is tied with the #3 team (Houston) for SOS at .496, so not sure if Miami's pick is really #2 or #3, but yeah. 

The Eagles and Colts picks are 9th and 10th respectively now.

Out of the remaining games that could change our draft position:

• If the Patriots lose to the Chargers they would leap frog both the Eagles and Colts. 
  • If the Broncos lose to the Football Team they would leap frog the Colts.
  • If the Seahawks win they would move behind the Colts and Eagles.
  • If the Giants win they would move behind the Colts and Eagles.
  • Like 2