Week 3 GDT: Bears vs Browns

Nagy also added that, when healthy, Dalton will be the starter.  I get that’s it’s coach speak and he feels he needs to say that, but cmon. If Fields shows any amount of promise, you can’t sent him back to the bench.  Let the kid play, learn through his struggles, and grow into our franchise QB.

• Like 2

Very tough game for Field's first official start. Browns are better across the board than the Bengles where, and at Cleveland. In particular, Browns pass rush vs our OL, and Browns WR vs our secondary /Browns OL vs our pass rush will be things to watch. 

It's still a winnable game, but our offense left a lot of points on the field last week, and we can't afford a repeat of that this week, if we're going to keep pace. 

• Like 1

That Cleveland 2 deep is scary strong...they are 100% one of the class teams of the NFL this year and with that said all I hope for is that Fields plays smart football and that the defence continues to change up the pass rush a bit to progress for the games ahead...

In terms of game planning for Fields the "weakness" of that D is right up the middle at DTs...run right at them with Monty and only when the DEs crash down to help get Fields on the outside...passing wise Fields had a lot of mesh plays under Ryan Day with multiple drag routes over the middle...their ILBs are good but not as strong as their outside corners...let Fields attack the middle of the field...need a big day from Kmet even though I doubt Nagy will feature him...as usual.

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

That Cleveland 2 deep is scary strong...they are 100% one of the class teams of the NFL this year and with that said all I hope for is that Fields plays smart football and that the defence continues to change up the pass rush a bit to progress for the games ahead...

In terms of game planning for Fields the "weakness" of that D is right up the middle at DTs...run right at them with Monty and only when the DEs crash down to help get Fields on the outside...passing wise Fields had a lot of mesh plays under Ryan Day with multiple drag routes over the middle...their ILBs are good but not as strong as their outside corners...let Fields attack the middle of the field...need a big day from Kmet even though I doubt Nagy will feature him...as usual.

Their secondary, though, has given up some big plays this year. Maybe it's a lack of focus but so far they haven't lived up to their billing. 

Just now, beardown3231 said:

Their secondary, though, has given up some big plays this year. Maybe it's a lack of focus but so far they haven't lived up to their billing. 

Agreed but I am giving up hope of Nagy actually allowing Fields to test them deep...I expect this to be a repeat of the Rams game offensively.

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

Very tough game for Field's first official start. Browns are better across the board than the Bengles where, and at Cleveland. In particular, Browns pass rush vs our OL, and Browns WR vs our secondary /Browns OL vs our pass rush will be things to watch. 

It's still a winnable game, but our offense left a lot of points on the field last week, and we can't afford a repeat of that this week, if we're going to keep pace. 

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Jarvis Landry and OJB are out for the Browns.  Who do they have after those two (genuine question, not being snarky)?  Granted, almost any WR corps vs our secondary is a bit of a mismatch.

1 hour ago, CBears019 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Jarvis Landry and OJB are out for the Browns.  Who do they have after those two (genuine question, not being snarky)?  Granted, almost any WR corps vs our secondary is a bit of a mismatch.

OBJ* will play. Landry won't

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Agreed but I am giving up hope of Nagy actually allowing Fields to test them deep...I expect this to be a repeat of the Rams game offensively.

In a few plays vs Cincy, Fields did have a few 20+ yard throws. I won't give Nagy the benefit of the doubt, but maybe it's a sign of things to come

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

If you look at Fields passing chart from last week he pretty much only attacked the sidelines, whether that was by design or what he just threw is anyones guess really.

24 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

If you look at Fields passing chart from last week he pretty much only attacked the sidelines, whether that was by design or what he just threw is anyones guess really.

I would be shocked of Kmet isn't used as a safety net for Fields. He had a number of big plays to the TEs last year so he has no issue throwing them the ball. 

Maybe Kmet will be busy helping on Garrett this week though. Apparently Tunsil made him a nonfactor so I'm sure he'll be nice and pissed come game time. Lol. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, CBears019 said:

I'll be honest, I didn't know either or both of them where even potentially hurt, been swamped this week with work... was more making a comment about their offensive reputation being much higher than Cinci's.... If one is out and the other is banged up, that should aid our defense significantly, and hopefully remove a ton of the pressure off Fields' back.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

Exactly...that massively needs to change to give him the best chance of success.

3 hours ago, Epyon said:

I'll be honest, I didn't know either or both of them where even potentially hurt, been swamped this week with work... was more making a comment about their offensive reputation being much higher than Cinci's.... If one is out and the other is banged up, that should aid our defense significantly, and hopefully remove a ton of the pressure off Fields' back.

I believe they've indicated OBJ may play but Jarvis is out.

This blurb from the Sun Times has me giddy if it's true:

Bears coaches have been designing a playbook for Justin Fields since he was drafted, drawing up and testing plays that best fit a man clocked as the second-fastest NFL Scouting Combine quarterback this century.

On Sunday, they’ll unveil an offense that will be worlds different than the one Andy Dalton ran. It figures to reside somewhere between the five option gimmicks Fields executed in Week 1 and the conservative, stagnant scheme he lumbered through in Week 2. The Bears will try to make Fields a passer first, a runner second and a weapon unlike anything the franchise has seen.

Do you guys really think our coaches have been designing a playbook for Fields since he was drafted? Because if true, that's almost 5 months of scheme development...

• Like 1