Week 3 GDT: Bears vs Browns

CBears019

Just now, Sugashane said:

I think another point to focus on is the situation they were put in. Both were set up to fail. Not one person in the form would tell either to go up against Garrett without help all day. That was a major showing of incompetence from Nagy, to the point i believe it was intentionally done. 

I'm sure it all looked great in practice though!

7 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I really thought our punting was on point today.

My kids have gone back to school this fall, and for some reason they think it's really fun to come home and make my wife (not DLL) and I do "school" where they're the teachers. Apparently this is a common thing for kids when they're in big situations and want to feel a little more in control. My son handed me a 40 page packet of hand written math equations to do as homework for their "school" and man does that sound good right now. Matt Nagy you sonofabitch you made me want to do homework.

I was really wondering where you were going with this, but you brought it all together. And I agree that was some unproductive last 3 hours. Hindsight being 20/20 I would have rather done some voluntary homework. 

• Like 1

When you take away the sack yards we had 1 yard in net passing today...the bad news is Nagy is utterly useless when it comes to helping these young guys and we should all now probably feel back for Mitch Trubisky...

The good news is if there is one guy who has shown the mental make up of taking a terrible situation and turning it into a positive it is Justin Fields...he goes to Georgia and doesn't start...is then racially abused and decides to transfer north to Ohio State when he had lived and grown up in Georgia all his life...he then goes on the win the job and become a superstar...he has the mental toughness to over come this.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

That was the first play that actually really pissed me off. 

The call on the 3rd and 6--when Robinson was the only guy around the level of the sticks (everyone else being 5 yards+ deeper)--was total garbage. Don't get me wrong...Nagy's playcalling has seemed to improve somewhat, but good lord man, just go for the first down. 

The officiating was bad, as well. Clear PI on Kmet there in the third quarter. Fields being hit when he slid...and no flag. The roughing penalty on Tonga in the first was a joke. Hard to say how the game goes if blatant bull**** like that doesn't go on.

Although the Bears still would have lost. 

Fields was absolutely horrible. Never in my most fevered nightmares would I have imagined he'd look like that out there. No Justin, you simply can't outrun Myles Garrett whenever you want to. Especially when he's coming at you with a head of steam. For all of the talk about how smart Fields is, he looked like a complete idiot today. Throw the ball away, Justin. You're outside of the "tackle box". It isn't that hard. It's just one game, and his first start, so I'm not going to make any proclamations about the player himself (either way)...but I will say this--he was not properly prepared for this game. And that's on Nagy and DeFilipo. 

The defense was so up and down it was a rollercoaster ride. I have no idea what to expect from them next week. One play they look dominant, the next they're the ******* Keystone Kops. I don't get it. If this continues, we can expect about a six win season, though. 

Some observations on the D. The calls were bad--the zones were too soft, and there were WAY too many stunts with the OLBs. You can stunt that much with a 3-4 front. Just can't. They take too long to develop. Other stuff--Tonga probably needs to start. Gipson needs a LOT more playing time. Shelly and Vildor had better games than Johnson. If this continues, Johnson should be moved to nickelback. 

I didn't expect a win, but I expected a lot more than what we saw today. How utterly disappointing. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Fields was absolutely horrible. Never in my most fevered nightmares would I have imagined he'd look like that out there. No Justin, you simply can't outrun Myles Garrett whenever you want to. Especially when he's coming at you with a head of steam. For all of the talk about how smart Fields is, he looked like a complete idiot today. Throw the ball away, Justin. You're outside of the "tackle box". It isn't that hard. It's just one game, and his first start, so I'm not going to make any proclamations about the player himself (either way)...but I will say this--he was not properly prepared for this game. And that's on Nagy and DeFilipo. 

Didn't watch the game yet.  Gonna try and watch it sometime Tuesday or Wednesday.  Was Fields that bad or was it the OL? 

3 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Best of luck the rest of the year. The Bears have an impressive defense. I hope Fields develops as the season goes, and they get him some help and whatever they do on the staff find some stability for him and his future. 

Thank you, good sir! (Although I'm not sure I agree with you on that "impressive defense" remark 😄.)

You have have a Super Bowl caliber team! I hope you make it there. The Browns in the Super Bowl would be hands-down phenomenal! 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I'm sure it all looked great in practice though!

Do we get the "I'm not an idiot" punchline today?

6 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

The call on the 3rd and 6--when Robinson was the only guy around the level of the sticks (everyone else being 5 yards+ deeper)--was total garbage. Don't get me wrong...Nagy's playcalling has seemed to improve somewhat, but good lord man, just go for the first down.

What? I'm honestly not sure how you come to that conclusion. Compared to when? He has been terrible playcaller the last 2+ years and even in 2018 it was sketchy at best.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Didn't watch the game yet.  Gonna try and watch it sometime Tuesday or Wednesday.  Was Fields that bad or was it the OL? 

His protection DID break down quite a bit...but if you end up watching the game, I'll think you'll agree with my description of things. Fields looked like he thought he could outrun his pursuit--EVERY time he was pursued. 

Ugly. Just ugly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Thank you, good sir! (Although I'm not sure I agree with you on that "impressive defense" remark 😄.)

You have have a Super Bowl caliber team! I hope you make it there. The Browns in the Super Bowl would be hands-down phenomenal! 

I think they held for a while, but with the offense unable to get anything going or stay on the field, it was a tall order for the Bears defense to keep it up. Regardless, they did better defensively than anyone the Browns have faced, while doing very little on offense. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Both. You're going to get a good laugh though. Would you put Jason Peters one on one against Myles Garrett? Or think you can keep the QB upright with zero protection all day? We had a number of times where WRs sat in zones and just stayed there after being covered and Fields scrambled.

Fields was completely rushed and tried too hard to make plays. Lack of quick hits and no adjustment for a mostly 4 man passrush that the OL had no chance of stopping without help. A naked bootleg right at Garrett, etc. Just a mess of a game.

If 4-5 more of these would fire Nagy I'd take them in a crackhead heartbeat though.

• Like 1

Just now, Sugashane said:

What? I'm honestly not sure how you come to that conclusion. Compared to when? He has been terrible playcaller the last 2+ years and even in 2018 it was sketchy at best.

I'd post a "not sure if serious" gif...but Nagy doesn't deserve that strong of a defense. 😆

But...check out the games again, dude. (If you're able, if that takes effort then don't bother.) 

The run game is FAR more diverse than the steady diet of inside zone we had in the Trubisky era. Now...it's not working very well, but that's another issue. He's also STICKING WITH THE RUN--which is something we've absolutely never seen him do before. And the passing game? Even though I criticized the call on that 3rd and 6 (and the criticism was warranted, IMO) we're seeing a lot more thought put into that element of the offense, too. Far, FAR fewer series where every receiver is 15-20 yards downfield on every play.

So, IMO, it's better. Is it NFL quality playcalling? Probably not. But, it is better. 

• Like 2