Week 3 GDT: Bears vs Browns

CBears019

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

One passing attempt over 15 yards again (apart from the PI penalty)...what is the plan? What is Nagy's? offensive scheme? Does anyone actually know anymore?

I have been saying this since 2018, what ever scheme that everyone talks about I have never seen one.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

One passing attempt over 15 yards again (apart from the PI penalty)...what is the plan? What is Nagy's? offensive scheme? Does anyone actually know anymore?

To be fair, it's hard to throw the ball past 15 yards when your OL is playing this poorly. And who could have expected this OL would play poorly?

Just now, abstract_thought said:

To be fair, it's hard to throw the ball past 15 yards when your OL is playing this poorly. And who could have expected this OL would play poorly?

My point is if you don't even throw a deep shot the defence is just going to keep coming at you...this "small ball" has never worked in the NFL outside of NE and even they took way more deep shots than most people think under Brady...

You could see the DBs getting to the sticks and just sitting on every route...Fields had no where to go and the pass rush were able to get home even easier because of it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pool said:

I went kayaking this morning and then over to a friends house for a bit. Left around 12:30 saying I wanted to get home to watch the game. Drove about halfway home thinking about the game. And I knew I shouldn't bother.  So I turned around. I went back out on the lake instead and had a great Sunday. Sorry you guys tortured yourselves watching this garbage team let us all down once again. Saddest part of all of this is that is anyone here really even surprised? Like, I have just accepted the Bears suck and will always suck. I don't care if they win or lose anymore. I don't care if I watch the game or not. I'll follow along but that's about it. I am no longer emotionally invested in this team and I love it. I had a great Sunday. And if I sat down and watched this team it would have been ruined. Well not anymore. This guy will always be a Bears fan but they will no longer ruin my Sundays. I urge you all to quit caring. It's better. Truly.

Glad youre having a good day man!

I'm in this for the long haul. For success Nagy needs gone, you can't be a whole lot worse overall for what he brings. Pace has shown to be a pretty good GM but I'm not sure he brings enough to worry about another GM being worse. You need to aim for better or restart, period.

If this is what it takes to get them out then sorry Fields (claim you have a back injury, save yourself  lol), I'm signing up for 14 more of these - or until Nagy is gone. I'd rather a crap rookie year than an entire wasted rookie contract under that loser. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I respectfully, but wholeheartedly disagree. You're not playing a desperate game of catch up when you have the ball and are down by one score early in the 2nd. Well, you shouldn't be but Nagy is a coward so he was.

When the offense essentially can't move the ball, and your quarterback is getting sacked around half the times he drops back to pass...you're in pure desperation mode. I...don't know how to stress things any better than that. 

Now, is Nagy to blame for all of that? Of course! But it's a more complicated situation than what you're getting on about. However, more complicated doesn't mean more acceptable. 

39 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Plus the defense totally outperformed the offense today. If you told me we gave up 9 sacks, passed for 68 yards and Monty had 34 yards rushing I would have expected a 40+ point blowout.

The defense outperformed an offense that was abysmal. 

Yay? 

30 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

The Browns had 10 at halftime. For the majority of the first 3 quarters, the Bears were within a possession. How can you say the D couldn't stop the Browns? 

Because the Browns made incredibly moronic decisions to go for it on fourth down. Like, three times, I think? 

Had they not done that, there would have been no drama in this game whatsoever. It would have been a clear, and decisive, blowout. 

6 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

My point is if you don't even throw a deep shot the defence is just going to keep coming at you...this "small ball" has never worked in the NFL outside of NE and even they took way more deep shots than most people think under Brady...

You could see the DBs getting to the sticks and just sitting on every route...Fields had no where to go and the pass rush were able to get home even easier because of it.

There were many plays where Garrett was getting past Peters completely untouched. How can you throw the ball deep in that situation? You're just letting a young QB take shots at that point. Do we want Fields to end up like Joe Burrow?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Just now, Heinz D. said:

When the offense essentially can't move the ball, and your quarterback is getting sacked around half the times he drops back to pass...you're in pure desperation mode. I...don't know how to stress things any better than that.

So you adapt - something Nagy cannot do. Can't block Garrett one on one? Assign another blocker to help. Who? Kmet can help (he attributed 1 catch anyway), a HB can chip. If he is inside, then the QB, C or hell a guard can make the call. Hell, bring another OL like Bars and go heavy. There's a dozen things you can do, and Nagy failed to do anything.

The worst thing you can do is have zero protection when your OL is outmatched.

If they were in desperation mode then they should have just forfeited.

Just now, Heinz D. said:

Now, is Nagy to blame for all of that? Of course! But it's a more complicated situation than what you're getting on about. However, more complicated doesn't mean more acceptable. 

That's fair. I think the fact Nagy froze and tried nothing is what I hate, and it is pathetically common for him.

Just now, Heinz D. said:

Yay? 

Because the Browns made incredibly moronic decisions to go for it on fourth down. Like, three times, I think? 

They absolutely made some moronic decisions. But they did so because they underestimated the defense. I'll call a win a win on those plays. Still they had good pressure, kept Mayfield under control for the most part, and until late they were doing pretty well vs the run.

CLE is too talented for us to beat in most areas. For what I expected, especially with the offensive production - they did as well as can be expected.

Just now, Heinz D. said:

Had they not done that, there would have been no drama in this game whatsoever. It would have been a clear, and decisive, blowout. 

It WAS a clear, decisive blowout - damn crazy villain. lol 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

There were many plays where Garrett was getting past Peters completely untouched. How can you throw the ball deep in that situation? You're just letting a young QB take shots at that point. Do we want Fields to end up like Joe Burrow?

Peters was a joke today...you're right about that. And it's clear the guy needs to lose about twenty pounds or so to get down to playing weight. 

But reinforcements are coming soon. 

4 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Add protection. Honestly I'd have put Bars in as an extra blocker, move Kmet to the slot. Bars moves around to Garrett's side and helps there. You have an extra big to help Monty get a hole (and Kmet should have a size advantage vs S or CBs). No one in the forum would be stupid enough to say the senior citizen Peters could hold Garrett alone. But Nagy was stupid enough to... all ******* game...

When Greg Olsen criticizes you blocking... lol (Love Greg, but he was a big WR essentially) 

IDC if you're running 3 man routes and a HB as a safety net - part of the reason you traded up for Monty was because he was suppose to be a hell of a receiver. Why not let him have those chances.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

Add protection. Honestly I'd have put Bars in as an extra blocker, move Kmet to the slot. Bars moves around to Garrett's side and helps there. You have an extra big to help Monty get a hole (and Kmet should have a size advantage vs S or CBs). No one in the forum would be stupid enough to say the senior citizen Peters could hold Garrett alone. But Nagy was stupid enough to... all ******* game...

When Greg Olsen criticizes you blocking... lol (Love Greg, but he was a big WR essentially) 

IDC if you're running 3 man routes and a HB as a safety net - part of the reason you traded up for Monty was because he was suppose to be a hell of a receiver. Why not let him have those chances.

You could run some max protection sets, but then you rely on WRs who can win matchups. Do the Bears have any of those? Kmet is JAG. Mooney won't beat bracket coverage. And Robinson seems to be cashing checks and waiting for the day he's no longer in a Bears uniform.

1 minute ago, abstract_thought said:

You could run some max protection sets, but then you rely on WRs who can win matchups. Do the Bears have any of those? Kmet is JAG. Mooney won't beat bracket coverage. And Robinson seems to be cashing checks and waiting for the day he's no longer in a Bears uniform.

Agree on Kmet. Which is why we aren't losing much when Bars comes in. His size might help him as a blocker out there though.

Mooney needs more time to get open, likely on drags and such. More protection means more time.

ARob may be, I was watching the OL more than anything. Honestly if not for the chance it damages his offers in FA I don't blame him for not wanting to be in a Bears uniform.

It also helps Monty though. Get him some holes and you can force them to adapt, and that is when you get to take more shots. Or at minimum you get to protect the QB and keep the clock running.

34 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Yay? 

So no credit for the Bears D stopping them on 4th down?

3 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

So no credit for the Bears D stopping them on 4th down?

I've stated that the defensive performance was a rollercoaster ride. 

But you're ignoring my point.

Strategically, it was a VERY bad move for the Browns to do what they did. 

Disagree with that assertion if you'd like...but I doubt you'll find many on your side.