Week 3 GDT: Bears vs Browns

CBears019

14 minutes ago, Bowler1215 said:

Pretty much this game was awful.  Cleveland is a solid team, they're D-line is great.  Nagy needs to give up play calling.  This has been obvious since last year.  Lazor should be calling plays.  Hell, my nephews rabbit could call better plays.  And they said Nagy is a 'quarterback whisperer' what a joke.  We only ran the ball 10 times(not counting Fields 3 rushes)  Montgomery needs 20+ carries a game.  Maybe give Herbert a few carries to see what he can do.  Positives is we had 5 sacks and didn't turn the ball over.  When we were inside the 5, I thought we would have gone for it and not settle for a field goal.  If Nagy keeps calling plays, we'll win 4 games, maybe 5.  On the bright side, if that happens Nagy(and likely Pace) will be fired. 

Through the predraft process Monty was compared to Kareem Hunt a lot. IIRC someone said Ricky Williams and I know I heard Gurley too. As a runner, I see all of them. But as a receiver, he is an afterthought. Now I think he CAN be a good receiver out of the backfield but remember Nagy touted him as a great receiving option then got him 35 targets over his rookie year. Howard had 50 his rookie year and wasn't a good receiver at all. lol

This should have been where Monty got to shine. Dump offs, chips-to-flats, screens (use the ******* passrush against them), and arrow routes. He could have easily given Fields a quick target for 8 catches today.

• Like 1

https://medium.com/@augbottorf3/the-same-old-matt-nagy-387ed1afd69a

Matt Nagy’s defining characteristic as a tactician is thinking of things that would trick him, trying them, and then finding out they don’t work because he’s a not-very-smart man who’s easy to trick. At the very least, the Bears head coach is honest about why he’s taken over these duties- he likes doing it. That much is obvious. Matt Nagy likes playcalling in the same way an 8-year-old likes eating an entire ice cream cake in one sitting. It may be against the advice of everyone around him but its motivated by braindead self-indulgence that’s can’t really be rationally persuaded against. Just like that 8-year-old inevitably ends up sobbing over a stomachache on the car ride home, Matt Nagy inevitably ends up hapless and deflated at a press conference, stammering through empty promises he can’t keep.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I would do this in a heartbeat. In fact I'd take it a step further and say put them at any positional coach they wish as long they are on board. Watching Manning break down QB plays on gamepass is something I look forward too. The man knows the game in and out.

Hell I'd take Eli Manning at this point, but I agree wholeheartedly.

Would be a kind of irony fitting of the Bears, don't you think? The man who took the Super Bowl from the Bears being the one who brought us one.

I wish Brees was interested in coaching. Manning looked like he was going to think about being a GM but decided against it. He was reportedly interested in being a team's President though. I'd take that in a heartbeat. Few people ever have the respect Manning has when he says something in NFL history. Could you imagine any new "Our idiot kicker" stories he might have if there was another double doink?

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Hell I'd take Eli Manning at this point, but I agree wholeheartedly.

Would be a kind of irony fitting of the Bears, don't you think? The man who took the Super Bowl from the Bears being the one who brought us one.

I wish Brees was interested in coaching. Manning looked like he was going to think about being a GM but decided against it. He was reportedly interested in being a team's President though. I'd take that in a heartbeat. Few people ever have the respect Manning has when he says something in NFL history. Could you imagine any new "Our idiot kicker" stories he might have if there was another double doink?

Hey, I'll take that over having a former Bears legend like Singletary take over lol.

And yeah....I wish both of them would follow through with coaching. Both of them would be a great fit for any team just based on their knowledge alone. Hell I would even take Orvlosky. To me, he's always been the Malinaggi to boxing as Orvlosky is to football. Two people who are very knowledge about their respective sports and had it all upstairs while they were playing but just didn't have the physical traits to match it.

• Like 1

Well, I just finished watching the game and I have to admit that Nagy was right (sorry for swearing).  It was too soon for Justin Fields to start a game.

The problem is that I think most of the problem was that Nagy, and the offensive line were the people most unprepared for a rookie QB to start a game.  It has been a long time since I saw a quarterback under a continued assault like I saw in this game.  The line was absolutely atrocious, allowing almost instant pressure on practically every snap.  Some credit has to go to the Browns defense, but geez, the Bears O-line was a bunch of swinging doors out there.

I don't even know what to say, other than if I were a Bears fan I would rather see Andy Dalton out there taking that barrage of pressures and sacks.  If they keep putting Justin in this situation, I'm afraid they are going to wreck him - mentally as well as physically.

To give a comparison, the Jaguars' offensive line has it's issues, but Trevor Lawrence had it much easier than Justin Fields did today, and our line is only average, at best.

As a mini-Bears fan, I just don't even know where you go from here.  I really think that Fields will be ruined if they keep throwing him into that fire.  Am I off base on this?

I don't want to spend much time analyzing Justin's play, because I don't think any QB would have been able to do much with that much pressure.

On the positive side, at least it was nice to see the Bears defense putting a lot of pressure on Baker Mayfield in this game too, and Roquan Smith is a monster out there.

Sorry it went like this in Justin's first NFL start, Bears fans.  There will definitely be better days.  I think you mainly have to fix that O-line.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Hey, I'll take that over having a former Bears legend like Singletary take over lol.

And yeah....I wish both of them would follow through with coaching. Both of them would be a great fit for any team just based on their knowledge alone. Hell I would even take Orvlosky. To me, he's always been the Malinaggi to boxing as Orvlosky is to football. Two people who are very knowledge about their respective sports and had it all upstairs while they were playing but just didn't have the physical traits to match it.

So Smokin' Jay isn't in your list of potential HCs? 😄

That sounds a lot like Jordan Palmer too. He never had a fraction of the talent Carson did but is probably the closest thing to a QB guru I can think of that isn't already working in the NFL. In the league now that is literally EXACTLY what Kellen Moore has been and he may be a HC in 2022. And what Josh McCown was known for, he was going to be a QB coach or something similar for the Texans and even got interviewed for the HC gig.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

So Smokin' Jay isn't in your list of potential HCs? 😄

That sounds a lot like Jordan Palmer too. He never had a fraction of the talent Carson did but is probably the closest thing to a QB guru I can think of that isn't already working in the NFL. In the league now that is literally EXACTLY what Kellen Moore has been and he may be a HC in 2022. And what Josh McCown was known for, he was going to be a QB coach or something similar for the Texans and even got interviewed for the HC gig.

I've got to say that I've really grown to love "Smokin' Jay" since he retired.  He says what he thinks and he doesn't care what people have to say about it.  Not too sure what kind of coach he would be, but one thing is certain, his press conferences would be legendary!

12 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Well, I just finished watching the game and I have to admit that Nagy was right (sorry for swearing).  It was too soon for Justin Fields to start a game.

The problem is that I think most of the problem was that Nagy, and the offensive line were the people most unprepared for a rookie QB to start a game.  It has been a long time since I saw a quarterback under a continued assault like I saw in this game.  The line was absolutely atrocious, allowing almost instant pressure on practically every snap.  Some credit has to go to the Browns defense, but geez, the Bears O-line was a bunch of swinging doors out there.

Nagy bet on the OL being able to handle CLE's DL one-on-one. After seeing they couldn't do it he kept zero protections going. I said it before and I'll say it again, Nagy was bordering on malicious to Fields.

I don't even know what to say, other than if I were a Bears fan I would rather see Andy Dalton out there taking that barrage of pressures and sacks.  If they keep putting Justin in this situation, I'm afraid they are going to wreck him - mentally as well as physically.

I gave Nagy enough respect to say he would be conservative enough that he wouldn't put Fields in a situation exactly like we saw today. Loggains using the run-run-pass offense would have been better. Even with all I have said against Nagy I'm still shocked he would be THAT inept.

I'm hoping Nagy is guilty of a gambling issue worse than Pete Rose.

To give a comparison, the Jaguars' offensive line has it's issues, but Trevor Lawrence had it much easier than Justin Fields did today, and our line is only average, at best.

As a mini-Bears fan, I just don't even know where you go from here.  I really think that Fields will be ruined if they keep throwing him into that fire.  Am I off base on this?

I don't think he will be ruined, but I think much more performances like this and Nagy will either get playcalling ripped from him or outright fired mid-season. So I'm not overly concerned. Abandoning the run, when run blocking is the one thing the OL is actually pretty good at, was ridiculous and showed Nagy's lack of balls.

I don't want to spend much time analyzing Justin's play, because I don't think any QB would have been able to do much with that much pressure.

Agree one hundred percent. We lose this with any QB.

On the positive side, at least it was nice to see the Bears defense putting a lot of pressure on Baker Mayfield in this game too, and Roquan Smith is a monster out there.

Mack, Quinn, Smith all were studs. Hopefully Mack gets better, he was gimpy but still really effective for the most part after coming back. Bet he'll be stiff as hell now that he has had time to relax though.

Sorry it went like this in Justin's first NFL start, Bears fans.  There will definitely be better days.  I think you mainly have to fix that O-line.

HC first, OL second, and then a jumble after that.

Its fine. I wasn't upset until the last 4th down attempt (I had conspiracy theory level hate at Nagy's incompetence at that point  lol), I expected to lose and rookie QBs aren't known for dominance - especially in their first games. Better to get it out of the way now rather than later.

I want Fields to start to expose Nagy or show he can adapt. He failed miserably with Tru and was trying to force him to be a pocket passer and now he has to show some semblance of adaptation to Fields or get the boot. I'd take 14 more of these games to get him out of here if he can't do that and the only things I'd feel bad about is Fields getting his *** kicked so much and the top overall pick we don't have anymore. I'd love to leverage a trade down from that. lol

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I dont disagree with this since I've been alone on an island here preaching this very same thing. But I will say, however, that this game was so bad offensively in general that I don't really think you can really judge Fields objectively based on this game either. Getting sacked 9 times in a gme is VERY rare. I looked it up earlier and I believe the last time it happened in Bears history was Chad Pennington in early 2000's IIRC (I'm not going to go back and check this late) so this game could also be an anomaly too.

Under that much pressure it's just too many factors involoved to come to a conclusion either way.

• Like 2

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

I've got to say that I've really grown to love "Smokin' Jay" since he retired.  He says what he thinks and he doesn't care what people have to say about it.  Not too sure what kind of coach he would be, but one thing is certain, his press conferences would be legendary!

I think he is kind of the opposite of Kmet. @beardown3231 mentioned how he is a good looking local guy. And that is a people pleaser and gets him more love than he has earned. Jay is a plain, bordering on dumpy looking guy with a natural frown to his face. Add in the fact that the Bears offense was average for most of the time with him, his issues like bumping Webb getting blown up to a slanderous degree (Brady and Manning would sound off on anyone way worse than he did) and you can let the average Joe just make up their own storylines. My favorite was hearing how he didn't care from fans. If he didn't care, why the **** is he mad when an INT is thrown or a fumble happens? Shouldn't he be practically skipping because of the money he was making? lol

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

Speaking of which, choosing to kick a field goal at the 5-yard line and not go for it on 4th and one show a real lack of cojones' too.

But yet went for it on 4th and 10 from the 20 with 3 minutes left. Can we get Nagy drug tested? @CBears019 Can you "anonymously" get him pulled over and searched?

Beware, he may giggle and kick up a leg during a pat down.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I dont disagree with this since I've been alone on an island here preaching this very same thing. But I will say, however, that this game was so bad offensively in general that I don't really think you can really judge Fields objectively based on this game either. Getting sacked 9 times in a gme is VERY rare. I looked it up earlier and I believe the last time it happened in Bears history was Chad Pennington in early 2000's IIRC (I'm not going to go back and check this late) so this game could also be an anomaly too.

Under that much pressure it's just too many factors involoved to come to a conclusion either way.

Oh yeah, I don't blame Justin much at all.  NO quarterback, let alone a rookie in his first NFL start could have come through that with much success at all. 

You could even go further than just the sacks.  Even on handoffs the Browns defenders were in the backfield like nobody even blocked them.  I've seen some nine-sack games.  The Vikings sacked Matthew Stafford 9 times in a game a couple years ago.  The thing is, that didn't look like the Browns/Bears game today.  The Browns defense made the Bears offensive line look totally overwhelmed, and Nagy had no answer for it.

• Like 1