Week 3 GDT: Bears vs Browns

CBears019

8 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I think he is kind of the opposite of Kmet. @beardown3231 mentioned how he is a good looking local guy. And that is a people pleaser and gets him more love than he has earned. Jay is a plain, bordering on dumpy looking guy with a natural frown to his face. Add in the fact that the Bears offense was average for most of the time with him, his issues like bumping Webb getting blown up to a slanderous degree (Brady and Manning would sound off on anyone way worse than he did) and you can let the average Joe just make up their own storylines. My favorite was hearing how he didn't care from fans. If he didn't care, why the **** is he mad when an INT is thrown or a fumble happens? Shouldn't he be practically skipping because of the money he was making? lol

I could see how that could be frustrating as a fan.  Where I've gotten a kick out of Jay's no-care attitude is in more off-field stuff lately, like how he handled his soon-to-be ex-wife during their divorce proceedings.  She would insult him and he was like "I don't care what you think.  Your opinion is no longer of any importance to me."

• Like 1

15 hours ago, topwop1 said:

9 sacks...9!!! 

Pretty sure the Browns were having issues getting to the QB before this game and pretty sure Bears have never ever allowed that many sacks in 1 single game the past 5 years but correct me if I'm wrong.

How does this happen with a mobile QB like Fields? Just unacceptable all around 

No but they allowed nine in one half against the NYG when Cutler was still playing QB back in the Martz era.

3 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

He has a little bit of analysis in this video.

A little more here:

Buck, glad you posted this.  Olin saved me from having to post one of my mini-novels.

I think most here know that I'm a recovered alcoholic.  The very first thing I had to deal with in recovery and any alcoholic needs to deal with his why do I drink like I do.  Why did I become an alcoholic?  The answer is actually simple and until you can recognize it and embrace it nothing else will work. But in my own experience most alcoholics avoid it and therefore never recover.

YOU are the reason you drink.  YOU are the reason you are an alcoholic.  No one else made that decision for you.  You did that all on your own and until you can embrace that you will never heal and you will never recover.  So Olin is 100% spot on.  Matt Nagy is the "why" in why things can't be fixed and never change.  Until he can embrace that they never will and he won't.  That much is a certainty.  He's simply not secure enough in himself to admit it and try another way.

The McCaskey's hate being embarrassed and yesterday had to be the penultimate in embarrassment for this team under Matt Nagy and in all of Bears history.  If this isn't enough for them to say damn the season we need change now.  What happened in this game should remove all doubt the Matt Nagy can be trusted to develop Justin Fields.  Given an entire week to do so he could not even design a game plan to help his rookie QB succeed even a little.

I'm glad I'd kept a couple of cans of apathy chilling in the fridge and stocked up on two more six packs of apathy to last out the season.  Unless Pace is willing to fire Nagy this week or GMcC orders Pace to fire Matt Nagy this week no questions asked I know I'm gonna need them. 

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

I have not looked at a single comment yet.  Wanted to give my own opinion without influence having watched game on pass last night.

I will say this is what I thought would happen in first three games of season.  All offseason optimism was going to be crushed versus Rams and Browns with a possible upswing versus Bengals.

Good teams expose bad teams. Bears have some good players, but a bad team.

As for game Nagy exposed himself big time.  If you excuse the horrible game plan of leaving tackles on an island much of time when overmatched you can’t excuse any quick adjustment when it is crazy obvious to anyone.  Where was TE and back help? A HS coach can do that.

Its almost like Nagy was purposely sabotaging the team in that game. It’s weird. I do t think he was, but it looked like it.  If you weren’t  I don’t know how it looks any different than if you were.  For the Andy plan? No I don’t believe that. That is crazy. Right?  But man, the protection plan was biggest joke I have ever seen after it was clear they couldn’t block Garrett one on one.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, dafreak said:

Nagy would make Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers look like dog ****...

We have seen both of them wilt under less defensive pressure than what Fields faced yesterday.  Watch first GB Tampa game from last year and see how Rodgers played under heavy pressure in a season when he was at height of his powers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pool said:

https://medium.com/@augbottorf3/the-same-old-matt-nagy-387ed1afd69a

Matt Nagy’s defining characteristic as a tactician is thinking of things that would trick him, trying them, and then finding out they don’t work because he’s a not-very-smart man who’s easy to trick. At the very least, the Bears head coach is honest about why he’s taken over these duties- he likes doing it. That much is obvious. Matt Nagy likes playcalling in the same way an 8-year-old likes eating an entire ice cream cake in one sitting. It may be against the advice of everyone around him but its motivated by braindead self-indulgence that’s can’t really be rationally persuaded against. Just like that 8-year-old inevitably ends up sobbing over a stomachache on the car ride home, Matt Nagy inevitably ends up hapless and deflated at a press conference, stammering through empty promises he can’t keep.

Holy **** dude

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I've got to say that I've really grown to love "Smokin' Jay" since he retired.  He says what he thinks and he doesn't care what people have to say about it.  Not too sure what kind of coach he would be, but one thing is certain, his press conferences would be legendary!

I’ve been ****hard for Jay since 2009 and an apologist through his bad years. But he wouldn’t want to coach and I don’t think I’d want him to either. He is a pretty good analyst though and his new podcast has been a good watch thus far. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

Holy **** dude

Accurate as all hell though.

Matt Nagy can't stop playing QB and living vicariously through his play calling what he never in his career as a player could be a successful NFL QB.  It wasn't Justin Fields who was exposed today it was Matt Nagy and his entire offensive coaching staff.  If they signed off on that game plan they should all be fired today.

If Nagy could not succeed at an NFL level himself why are we trusting him to develop a talented rookie QB a second time.  Fields is already far better than Trubisky was at the same stage of his career yet Matt Nagy found a way to make him look even worse than John Fox could make Trubisky look.

That's pretty pathetic when you think about it.

Edited by soulman

Just now, soulman said:

Accurate as all hell though.

Matt Nagy can't stop playing QB and living vicariously through his play calling what he never in his career as a player could be.  A successful NFL QB.  It wasn't Justin Fields who was exposed today it was Matt Nagy and his entire offensive coaching staff.  If they signed off on that game plan they should all be fired today.

If Nagy could not succeed at an NFL level himself why are we trusting him to develop a talented rookie QB a second time.  Fields is already far better than Trubisky was at the same stage of his career yet Matt Nagy found a way to make him look even worse than John Fox could make Trubisky look.

That's pretty pathetic when you think about it.

Nagy wasn’t exposed lol. He was exposed years ago. Literally no one at this point thinks he’s a good coach and last week the bears were rated (highly) at the 25th best team in the league. 

At this point in their career, they were kinda a wash tbh. Fields has toxic tendencies he will need a good coach to fix and has a high ceiling and I could say the same about Tru back then too. Honestly if Tru had played for a competent coach from the beginning he’s 100% in a different spot in his career right now. Not great, but middle of the pack average nfl starter. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Nagy wasn’t exposed lol. He was exposed years ago. Literally no one at this point thinks he’s a good coach and last week the bears were rated (highly) at the 25th best team in the league. 

At this point in their career, they were kinda a wash tbh. Fields has toxic tendencies he will need a good coach to fix and has a high ceiling and I could say the same about Tru back then too. Honestly if Tru had played for a competent coach from the beginning he’s 100% in a different spot in his career right now. Not great, but middle of the pack average nfl starter. 

Well let's just say that he was exposed again......this season.

I just posted an article by Jeff Hughes that sums it up again.  No good offensive coach would ever have a game like Sunday.  It wasn't his team that was unprepared.  It was him and his staff who were unprepared and sent their offense out with a game plan that would never succeed.

If Pace and GMcC won't end this then it's up to local fans to end it by staying away in droves.

Stop going to games paying for parking and spending money on concessions and Bears gear.

Vote with your wallets if you want Phillips and McCaskey to wake up and respond to you all.

It beats the hell out of me why the Chicago fan base tolerates this crap year after year after year and always gets taken in by the bull**** PR GMcC, Pace, and Nagy hand out like candy.

I don't live in Chicago but I won't spend one thin dime on any Bears gear that brings the McCaskey's a plug nickel 'til they get serious and hire some top shelf NFL talent to run the team.  IMHO the rest of you are nothing but a bunch of masochists if you keeping putting up with it.

Edited by soulman

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Its almost like Nagy was purposely sabotaging the team in that game. It’s weird. I do t think he was, but it looked like it.  If you weren’t  I don’t know how it looks any different than if you were.  For the Andy plan? No I don’t believe that. That is crazy. Right?  But man, the protection plan was biggest joke I have ever seen after it was clear they couldn’t block Garrett one on one.

Wow.   I was jesting in a way.   I don't have twitter, but it is full of blue check marks openly saying Nagy did it to Fields on purpose.

That would be a rather large conspiracy theory.

• Like 1