Bears to start Justin Fields again vs. Lions

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He absolutely does give them the best chance to win, but the argument against playing him week 1 was throwing him out there against a good defense. Now they're doing exactly that in his first start lol

I just feel like Nagy wants every excuse not to play Fields.

I think Nagy was hoping to use Fields as a lifeline to keep his job if the bears start stacking Losses.  If the Bears are, say, 2-9 at one point, he then switches to Fields and leans on The hope for the future to convince the Bears to give him another year as HC.  

Cant do that so much now both virtually a full season of Fields.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

I think Nagy was hoping to use Fields as a lifeline to keep his job if the bears start stacking Losses.  If the Bears are, say, 2-9 at one point, he then switches to Fields and leans on The hope for the future to convince the Bears to give him another year as HC.  

Cant do that so much now both virtually a full season of Fields.

Or....or....or....or...

He could just start Fields from Day 1 and hope he has a Justin Herbert type rookie year and keep his job by actually being a good team.

• Like 2

I listened to PMT’s commentary on it a couple times:

”Matt Nagy is full clown car fun. I don’t know if you guys saw but he was asked is Andy Dalton still your starter if he is healthy and he said that’s not something I’m going to get into, that’s schemes. The reporter said that’s not schemes, Matt Nagy said yes it is. So they had a standoff and then afterwords he left his press conference, he sent someone from Bears PR back out to tell the reporters Andy Dalton is the team’s starting quarterback when healthy. He had them go back and answer a question for him. So now he’s a clown car. Can you delete all the articles you’ve written on him (to reporters). Matt Nagy, there’s no reason to go around and tell people that, hey by the way, Andy Daltons the guy. I didn’t ask. He’s a walking “Sir this is a Wendys” tweet. Like he would pull up to a fast food place and be like “I’ll take a McDouble and by the way Andy Dalton is gonna start for us when he’s healthy.” Nagy goes over to Andy Dalton and asks the doctor “can he go?” “He may never walk again” “but the question is, can he go?” They shoot him up, get him out there so he can play. “I made the man a promise””

On 9/22/2021 at 4:36 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Or....or....or....or...

He could just start Fields from Day 1 and hope he has a Justin Herbert type rookie year and keep his job by actually being a good team.

Doesn't want to expose that he can't develop a QB. He'd rather ride with a declining guy in his 30s than fail like he did with Tru.

Hopefully Fields balls out, but doesn't try hero ball (IE - slides rather than tries to run over or around people). He absolutely has the talent but Nagy isn't even the best playcaller on the team, I'd actually say he's the 3rd best. For all the talk of him setting up and entire offense around Fields I'd expect little more than a few moving pockets and RPOs to be peppered in.

On 9/22/2021 at 1:36 PM, CBears019 said:

Wait so I’m confused…is he only starting against the Browns?

My guess is that the "News" part of it is that Fields is assuming his rightful place as the starter on Sunday.  Whether Nagy realizes it or not right now, Fields won't be giving up the spot after everybody sees how good he is.  That's how I read the title anyway, and I heartily endorse that title.  ;)

Edited by Uncle Buck

On 9/22/2021 at 4:16 PM, Ty21 said:

I listened to PMT’s commentary on it a couple times:

Matt Nagy is full clown car fun. I don’t know if you guys saw but he was asked is Andy Dalton still your starter if he is healthy and he said that’s not something I’m going to get into, that’s schemes. The reporter said that’s not schemes, Matt Nagy said yes it is. So they had a standoff and then afterwords he left his press conference, he sent someone from Bears PR back out to tell the reporters Andy Dalton is the team’s starting quarterback when healthy. He had them go back and answer a question for him. So now he’s a clown car. Can you delete all the articles you’ve written on him (to reporters). Matt Nagy, there’s no reason to go around and tell people that, hey by the way, Andy Daltons the guy. I didn’t ask. He’s a walking “Sir this is a Wendys” tweet. Like he would pull up to a fast food place and be like “I’ll take a McDouble and by the way Andy Dalton is gonna start for us when he’s healthy.” Nagy goes over to Andy Dalton and asks the doctor “can he go?” “He may never walk again” “but the question is, can he go?” They shoot him up, get him out there so he can play. “I made the man a promise””

I can attest to that.  I dealt with him once back before he got into coaching.

• Like 3