Justin Fields Officially Starting

WindyCity

19 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Agreed.

Even if he is losing and producing he should keep the spot. I don't want him benched if the defense is giving up 28ppg. 

I'll admit that my head thunked onto my desk when Nagy said Dalton is the starter if healthy, but really that's the best answer for him to give.  If he annoints Fields as the starter going forward before he's had his first start, doesn't it imply that he was the better option before as well (probably rightly.)  This gives him tons of wiggle room to see how Fields plays first.  If not, and Fields struggles and Dalton gets healthy, then he's essentially having to bench his future QB (not that he minded doing so with Mitchly) It's lame sounding, but this was the right media answer to give him options. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

I'll admit that my head thunked onto my desk when Nagy said Dalton is the starter if healthy, but really that's the best answer for him to give.  If he annoints Fields as the starter going forward before he's had his first start, doesn't it imply that he was the better option before as well (probably rightly.)  This gives him tons of wiggle room to see how Fields plays first.  If not, and Fields struggles and Dalton gets healthy, then he's essentially having to bench his future QB (not that he minded doing so with Mitchly) It's lame sounding, but this was the right media answer to give him options. 

Equivocation?  Nagy is thy namesake.

My biggest concern in him starting is that he sucks and plays like a rookie as expected and dip**** toxic bears fans call for his head so he never really gets to land on his feet. The bears have the dumbest fans in the nfl probably, after cowboys or lions fans. 

Actually, above that is him suffering a significant injury in a meaningless season with a lackluster line and offense. 

I figure the only way this start is a W is a little flash of what he will have to offer when he’s actually ready. 

3 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

It is best answer for him to give, but only in context of how he has played this from start.  The plan that Fields was going to sit the season and be like Mahomes and Dalton was going to play the Smith role.  

Everyone understands all first round QBs are anointed starters at some point.   Exception may be Love if Rodgers keeps winning.

If Fields plays really bad this week and Dalton can play following week that may indeed happen.  They would just flop them back and around and say Fields needs more seasoning before he is ready.   My whole thing is how much seasoning do you actually get with zero practice reps?   If they split reps I would be way more okay with Dalton starting plan.   

If Fields plays decent he is never going back to bench barring injury regardless of Dalton's health.   That would be crazy.  Possible, but crazy.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

It is best answer for him to give, but only in context of how he has played this from start.  The plan that Fields was going to sit the season and be like Mahomes and Dalton was going to play the Smith role.  

Everyone understands all first round QBs are anointed starters at some point.   Exception may be Love if Rodgers keeps winning.

If Fields plays really bad this week and Dalton can play following week that may indeed happen.  They would just flop them back and around and say Fields needs more seasoning before he is ready.   My whole thing is how much seasoning do you actually get with zero practice reps?   If they split reps I would be way more okay with Dalton starting plan.   

If Fields plays decent he is never going back to bench barring injury regardless of Dalton's health.   That would be crazy.  Possible, but crazy.  

Yep. Hope he just balls out and makes all this academic.  _I_ think he looks ready, but I know jack, it's totally possible he needs more time and Nagy might have to give him the hook.  That insane-sounding answer is actually just a way to avoid backing himself into a corner.  I don't really have a problem with that, but I still think the approach to this QB situation doesn't make sense, where Fields could only win the job through injury and never had a chance in camp. 

If I was doing Bear puns or plays on words for my elite fantasy team,  "Equivonagy" would be up there. 

• Like 1

Nagy is getting so roasted on Twitter over comments he made about Fields yesterday that by tonight his wife could have served him for dinner.

Nagy; "We're learning too. Like this week, him getting all the reps in practice, there's things that we're seeing that maybe we didn't see in the first two weeks because he wasn't getting those (first-team) reps," Nagy said.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bears-matt-nagy-getting-roasted-211922695.html

Just a couple of examples;

That’s what we were telling you about giving him more reps… #Bears FFS! https://twitter.com/BearsClips2/status/1441481678245941248/video/1

Why do “football guys” always seem like the dumbest people in charge of football teams? Like, You’re just now learning that Justin Fields is good when he also plays with other good players? Whatta concept!

This has convinced me that fans can coach better than Matt Nagy what the hell we been saying this for months lmao

I’ve defended Nagy as being hamstrung by bad QBs, but this is a mind-blowing comment

Matt Nagy: "There's things we're seeing that maybe we didn't see in the first two weeks because [Justin Fields] wasn't getting more reps." He does know he could've just given Fields more starting reps to begin with, right? #Bears
Well it took a few months but it seems Matt Nagy finally overcame is Nagyness. https://twitter.com/BFRMedia/status/1441482377851809792

TT7_PYNve_hAE53y.jpg

Jeezus, it's hard to believe we're paying this guy millions of dollars to be this dense.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, soulman said:

Jeezus, it's hard to believe we're paying this guy millions of dollars to be this dense.

You guys got it all wrong!  This is just more of the mad scientist coming out in Nagy.  He's saying dumb stuff to keep everybody talking about him so no one talks about the rookie mistakes Fields makes.  Like throwing the ball to Mooney out of bounds when both Graham and Goodwin were open in the end zone, or when he throws an INT falling for the old tick of an LB faking a blitz and dropping into  coverage, or sliding like a 9 year old little leaguer at the end of a run.  Everyone is so busy talking about the idiot  coach leaves most people believing Fields is walking on water🙃

1 hour ago, Bfan said:

You guys got it all wrong!  This is just more of the mad scientist coming out in Nagy.  He's saying dumb stuff to keep everybody talking about him so no one talks about the rookie mistakes Fields makes.  Like throwing the ball to Mooney out of bounds when both Graham and Goodwin were open in the end zone, or when he throws an INT falling for the old tick of an LB faking a blitz and dropping into  coverage, or sliding like a 9 year old little leaguer at the end of a run.  Everyone is so busy talking about the idiot  coach leaves most people believing Fields is walking on water🙃

What

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bfan said:

I don't believe anyone thinks Fields walks on water.  He's gonna have some bad plays.  They key is not to repeat them but you can't even repeat them if you aren't playing to begin with.  Cleveland is a tough challenge.  Let's see how he handles it.

• Like 1