Justin Fields Officially Starting

WindyCity

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

mack would actually be pretty easy to trade. his base salary is only ~12M, which is what the trading team would be on the hook for. we would have the cap hit regardless if he were on the roster or not. so would a team throw a 1 and change to pay mack $12M for a year, then the rest of his contract? i'm sure you could probably find one team, especially if he continues to play like he did this past weekend. however, if he does keep playing like that, then why trade him?

The problem is Mack's contract has $38.646 mil in dead cap right now and $24 mil in 2022.  We could save some cap starting in 2022 but anyone who picks up his current contract is gonna be paying him just under $18 mil in 2022 and about $23 mil each in 2023 and 2024.  In addition to his base salary he has guaranteed roster bonuses each year he's still in the roster at the beginning of the league year in March.

We gave up one 1st round pick an additional 1st round pick and got a 2nd round pick back for him in his prime at age 27.  I don't see anyone giving up a 1st round pick for him at age 31 and paying him that kind of money.  As far as draft picks go we've already paid for Mack.  It's Fields we'll be paying for in 2022 and it could end up being a fairly high 1st round pick too.  That's the cost of having failed Mitch and also getting nothing for him in return.  But if you gave Matt Nagy a roster full of offensive stars would he actually do much better than he has?

The Bears don't lack so much in talent as they lack in solid coaching.  Bring the NE coaching staff here and we'd be in the playoffs with the same roster.  Nagy has nowhere to hide any longer.  The most accurate thing he said in his presser is "it's all on me".  No **** Shamus.  But no matter what's put on that "table" he likes to talk about when the **** hits the fan it's still the same old table with the same guys around it rehashing the same old ideas.  They have no solution.  You might as well ask me to calculate the re-entry trajectory for the Space Shuttle.

If the McCaskey's really want to improve this team trading Khalil Mack isn't the solution.  Even firing Ryan Pace won't do it.  It has to start today with firing Matt Nagy and THEN continue with an honest evaluation of Pace (he's Nagy's sponsor) and an honest evaluation of themselves as owner and CEO of the Chicago Bears.  If they refuse to fire their HC over what happened on Sunday how are they ever gonna build a winning organization.  It's like giving your 16 year old a new car he wrecks that very day and just going out and buying him a new one.

The incompetence isn't just Nagy.  It runs all the way to the top.  They should fire themselves too but of course they won't.  But that's no excuse for not firing an completely incompetent HC.  That can no longer be accepted.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/khalil-mack-14414/

• Like 2

13 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

But does Nagy truly believe that. 

No. Not a chance. He is saying it because it sounds good and he thinks it is the right thing to say. Saying that and being unwilling to discuss what that actually means i.e. everything about coaching that he sucks at kinda tells you everything you need to know.

I’m just tryna figure out something for you guys

I know Tevin is hurt but you needed more O line help anyway. He’s probably best fit for right tackle as well. 

Right now at Mack’s age I just think as your best asset who doesn’t directly help Fields on the offensive side of the ball you all need to do what you can to make sure your investment and hope in fields is being given every opportunity possible to be successful. 

Long term you can find defensive players. You mess up on Fields your set back 5 years 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, brownie man said:

I’m just tryna figure out something for you guys

I know Tevin is hurt but you needed more O line help anyway. He’s probably best fit for right tackle as well. 

Right now at Mack’s age I just think as your best asset who doesn’t directly help Fields on the offensive side of the ball you all need to do what you can to make sure your investment and hope in fields is being given every opportunity possible to be successful. 

Long term you can find defensive players. You mess up on Fields your set back 5 years 

I don't think you'll find anyone that will disagree with you about needing OL help. We have no idea when Jenkins will be back, but Larry Borom will be eligible to be back next week. Most had him projected as an OG after the draft, but he was surprisingly decent at LT when healthy during TC. If he can come back and push Peters/take the starting job, that would be huge for our projected bookends. 

I'm torn on Mack. He can be a game changer, but recently he has had games that he's disappeared in. If we were able to trade him and get at least a 1st, i would absolutely consider it, then taking that pick and targeting a OG/OC/CB in the first and second round. I also could pretty easily be talked into trading ARob this season if we could get at least a 2nd for him, then using that pick on the above as well. Coming out of the draft with potentially 2 more/new starters in the OL next year would great.

3 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

I don't think you'll find anyone that will disagree with you about needing OL help. We have no idea when Jenkins will be back, but Larry Borom will be eligible to be back next week. Most had him projected as an OG after the draft, but he was surprisingly decent at LT when healthy during TC. If he can come back and push Peters/take the starting job, that would be huge for our projected bookends. 

I'm torn on Mack. He can be a game changer, but recently he has had games that he's disappeared in. If we were able to trade him and get at least a 1st, i would absolutely consider it, then taking that pick and targeting a OG/OC/CB in the first and second round. I also could pretty easily be talked into trading ARob this season if we could get at least a 2nd for him, then using that pick on the above as well. Coming out of the draft with potentially 2 more/new starters in the OL next year would great.

It's crazy to trade a HOF player, but if there's a situation where it's warranted it's now. This team is going NOwhere, and has a ton of needs to build in a hurry around whatever's left of a possible franchise QB. If you can get a first round pick in 2022 I think you do it and say thanks for all the sacks. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

It's crazy to trade a HOF player, but if there's a situation where it's warranted it's now. This team is going NOwhere, and has a ton of needs to build in a hurry around whatever's left of a possible franchise QB. If you can get a first round pick in 2022 I think you do it and say thanks for all the sacks. 

So Long and Thanks for all the fish! | TELic: A blog about Technology  Enhanced Learning

Edited by HuskieBear
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

That's a big if for a guy whose gonna be 31 and carries the kinds weight his deal does.  He won't have any guaranteed money left in 2022 but there will still be $64 mil left on his current deal.  Ask yourself this.  If you were another GM would you give up a #1 pick and pay Mack an average of $21.3 mil a year?

Contrast that to what we're paying Quinn and we got him as a FA.  To be honest I'd look to cut elsewhere and keep Mack.

2 hours ago, soulman said:

If you were another GM would you give up a #1 pick and pay Mack an average of $21.3 mil a year?

Depends on what type of team I have and what the outlook is for the next few years. If I’m a contender like the Rams and I’m already looking at cap difficulties in a few years, I’d trade for the proven player who can help my team win now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Depends on what type of team I have and what the outlook is for the next few years. If I’m a contender like the Rams and I’m already looking at cap difficulties in a few years, I’d trade for the proven player who can help my team win now.

I know they were just an example, but the Rams make a ton of sense. The issue is they don't have a 1 this year

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I know they were just an example, but the Rams make a ton of sense. The issue is they don't have a 1 this year

Bears trade Mack to BUF

BUF Receives Mack to pair with Rousseau

CHI receives their 1st and their coaches Daboll, and Dorsey

Late first and two coaches, I'll even throw them Nagy and Lazor to take over as OC and QB coach for them. We'll even pay their salaries this year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Bears trade Mack to BUF

BUF Receives Mack to pair with Rousseau

CHI receives their 1st and their coaches Daboll, and Dorsey

Late first and two coaches, I'll even throw them Nagy and Lazor to take over as OC and QB coach for them. We'll even pay their salaries this year.

That would really piss trubisky off.

• Like 2

Honestly I have been pounding table for Bears to spend every waking minute to get Fields ready to play since he was drafted.

I believe in that for any QB.   You don't get better watching and not practicing.  Give him every rep.   You can call a game with just 20 complimentary plays and build from there.   

But I really didn't factor in that Nagy would try to murder our QB by leaving him completely unprotected for a full NFL football game.   If that is the philosophy to prove his point by all means sit him until next year with a new coach.  

I'd rather he live. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2021 at 10:57 AM, abstract_thought said:

But think about it.  We could trade Mack next year and actually save a few bucks on our cap.  He's due a little over $18 mil next year and since his initial contract guarantees have been met the contract is now year by year.  So while LA may easily able to afford his paycheck would they give up a 1st round pick for him.  And if so would be be OK with accepting a very late 1st round pick for Mack?  I dunno.  I suppose it depends on badly we feel a need to off load Mack and his cap hit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, soulman said:

But think about it.  We could trade Mack next year and actually save a few bucks on our cap.  He's due a little over $18 mil next year and since his initial contract guarantees have been met the contract is now year by year.  So while LA may easily able to afford his paycheck would they give up a 1st round pick for him.  And if so would be be OK with accepting a very late 1st round pick for Mack?  I dunno.  I suppose it depends on badly we feel a need to off load Mack and his cap hit.

I agree that any trade would need to happen after this season to make the dead cap work. I'm just tossing out examples where a team may be willing to make the trade. In any given season there will be a team looking to go for it before their roster explodes and their title hopes go bye-bye.

• Like 1