BrownLeader 2022 Positional Rankings

BrownLeader

6 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Haven't looked at Gardner much at all yet.

Taulia has a better arm than Tua and is a quicker guy. Since size is not much a factor anymore, his accuracy, arm, pocket quickness, and mental makeup sit pretty well in this class.

I haven't watched enough of him to form an opinion just surprised to see him as QB1. 

15 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Haven't looked at Gardner much at all yet.

Taulia has a better arm than Tua and is a quicker guy. Since size is not much a factor anymore, his accuracy, arm, pocket quickness, and mental makeup sit pretty well in this class.

See, I think size is absolutely still a factor, particularly when taking a guy in the first round. 

Taulia is 5'11, 200 per Maryland's website. So, let's say 5'10 195. He's roughly Murray's size. I'm far from convinced that Murray holds up long term. His passing and decision making still leaves some to be desired, and once the wear and tear of hits begins to take it's toll, I worry about his outlook. 

Brees was on the smaller side, but he was every bit of 6'0 215-220 when playing. Russell Wilson is roughly the same size, but built well and leaned heavily on a top notch run game on a team that we wasn't terrible. 

Don't get me wrong, Murray has put up some numbers this far, but absent Kingsbury's love affair with him, I'm not quite sold on anyone taking him on the top 10 on draft day.

Tua, ironically, shows the issues of a tiny guy as your franchise QB. We aren't just talking about someone being on the shorter side but built like MJD. Both Tagovailoa boys are tiny overall. 

I get that mobile-rich QBs are all the rage right now, but these things are cyclical. The number of safety-to-linebacker converts we've seen recently (or just much smaller, more agile guys playing LB from the get-go) tells me that the era of smaller, run oriented QBs has been noted by DC's and the defensive looks of the league are slowly going to catch up. 

None of these small QBs are pocket guys. They all rely heavily on their mobility. Once that gets mitigated by a defense (and, sure as the sun rises in the east, it will), and the hits start taking toll, will they still be effective? I'm definitely skeptical. 

Not saying he won't be QB1, particularly on such a lackluster class, just that I think size definitely still plays a big role in most GM's decisions at QB.

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

See, I think size is absolutely still a factor, particularly when taking a guy in the first round. 

Taulia is 5'11, 200 per Maryland's website. So, let's say 5'10 195. He's roughly Murray's size. I'm far from convinced that Murray holds up long term. His passing and decision making still leaves some to be desired, and once the wear and tear of hits begins to take it's toll, I worry about his outlook. 

Brees was on the smaller side, but he was every bit of 6'0 215-220 when playing. Russell Wilson is roughly the same size, but built well and leaned heavily on a top notch run game on a team that we wasn't terrible. 

Don't get me wrong, Murray has put up some numbers this far, but absent Kingsbury's love affair with him, I'm not quite sold on anyone taking him on the top 10 on draft day.

Tua, ironically, shows the issues of a tiny guy as your franchise QB. We aren't just talking about someone being on the shorter side but built like MJD. Both Tagovailoa boys are tiny overall. 

I get that mobile-rich QBs are all the rage right now, but these things are cyclical. The number of safety-to-linebacker converts we've seen recently (or just much smaller, more agile guys playing LB from the get-go) tells me that the era of smaller, run oriented QBs has been noted by DC's and the defensive looks of the league are slowly going to catch up. 

None of these small QBs are pocket guys. They all rely heavily on their mobility. Once that gets mitigated by a defense (and, sure as the sun rises in the east, it will), and the hits start taking toll, will they still be effective? I'm definitely skeptical. 

Not saying he won't be QB1, particularly on such a lackluster class, just that I think size definitely still plays a big role in most GM's decisions at QB.

To clarify, I think size is still a factor but not height. Mayfield, Murray and Wilson have obliterated that notion in regards to height.

Murray leaning on his scrambling ability and his issues throwing between the hashes, at least before this season, are play style things...they're not necessarily tied to his size. And 100 disagree on his draft stock in 19'. He was QB#1 and going top ten.

Taulia has made serious strides this year and has looked pretty comfortable hanging in the pocket. I don't think he's especially reliant on his out of pocket mobility. But his weight and strength are going to be factors for sure. Even though the relationship between bulk and durability is suspect.

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

The Raiders were reportedly enamored with Murray and considered trading up for him. Murray isn't a big guy but he's quickly becoming one of the best players in the league, dude is putting up video game like numbers. 

Tua is 6'0" 220, that's not small he's just short and his career has been more or less derailed by injuries. 

Sir no clue why you have Evan Neal so low, he is arguably the best OG in the draft, RT in the draft or LT in the draft.  Could play all three positions if put there and could be a Pro bowler at any one of them.  It is Evan Neal then a big gap for everyone else in terms of OL prospects.  The dude is a freak show with amazing athletic ability for a man his size, no doubt in my mind he is the first OL off the board.

Also Jameson Williams will probably be a 1st round pick if he declares, dude has game breaking speed.

And no Jelani Woods?  To me he has been the most impressive TE so far this season, huge frame and very promising pass catcher on the outside having a fine season.  Wydermyer, Otton and Ferguson have all been a bit disappointing this year but all have some pretty massive QB issues on those teams so that could be the reason for their lack in production.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

So, did you finally get a chance to see Sauce Gardner yet?

That I did. Caught up on his 2021 games. Still outside of the top 10 for me but I get the hype. He's something like a softer Jaycee Horn but might not be as good of an athlete.

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Sir no clue why you have Evan Neal so low, he is arguably the best OG in the draft, RT in the draft or LT in the draft.  Could play all three positions if put there and could be a Pro bowler at any one of them.  It is Evan Neal then a big gap for everyone else in terms of OL prospects.  The dude is a freak show with amazing athletic ability for a man his size, no doubt in my mind he is the first OL off the board.

Also Jameson Williams will probably be a 1st round pick if he declares, dude has game breaking speed.

And no Jelani Woods?  To me he has been the most impressive TE so far this season, huge frame and very promising pass catcher on the outside having a fine season.  Wydermyer, Otton and Ferguson have all been a bit disappointing this year but all have some pretty massive QB issues on those teams so that could be the reason for their lack in production.

Neal looks like your typical Bama OL. Huge, overpowering, technically sound, and a little overrated. Not sure he's the athlete Leatherwood or Willis were. I get Cam Robinson vibes.

Woods is something with his ball skills and coordination at that size but his mate Thompson might be more intriguing to me. I think he ought to be more of a TE project than a WR and has ridiculous open field ability at his height and size. Woods struggles with his cod, doesn't have much get off and might be injury prone. That said he could be a situational monster.

Edited by BrownLeader