BrownLeader 2022 Positional Rankings

BrownLeader

Understand the jokes re Chenal, but I find American instant stereotyping of white dudes as less athletic a bit odd tbh. I can't think of many at the LB position that are any worse than nfl avg?

I actually reckon asian dudes would make up a decent % of corners if given the same opportunity and weren't pushed out of sports by their families. A lot of these guys have great lateral agility and pretty good explosion like pound for pound sick athletes but just rarely above 210lbs. Not many have the length but some do, so it'd be interesting at least 

Do you see Chenal as a turn-and-run LB in coverage or a zone only?  To me, that is the difference between a 3 down LB and a 2 down LB in this NFL.  I have not seen him do a turn and run.  I have seen him as a blitzer on 3rd downs.  Can he turn-and-run?  Don't know because either he or the scheme is not showing it in college.

11 hours ago, lark25 said:

Understand the jokes re Chenal, but I find American instant stereotyping of white dudes as less athletic a bit odd tbh. I can't think of many at the LB position that are any worse than nfl avg?

I actually reckon asian dudes would make up a decent % of corners if given the same opportunity and weren't pushed out of sports by their families. A lot of these guys have great lateral agility and pretty good explosion like pound for pound sick athletes but just rarely above 210lbs. Not many have the length but some do, so it'd be interesting at least 

What in the world are you talking about?  Asian dudes would make amazing corners in the NFL but are not given the opportunities?  Pushed out of sports?  Pretty sure it is more a issue of Socioeconomic status and culture overall than specific race when some have opportunities and some do not.  Why are American's bad at table tennis?  Because it is culturally not an important sport what so ever and the only good table tennis players are usually individuals that came over from China to American and join the USA Olympic team.   Last time I checked no one else in the world plays American football, what Canada, so yeah not many "Asians" play it because it is not an important sport in Asian countries, but granted certain genetic influences come into play as well, being 6-7 260 helps.

Micah McFadden and Mike Rose two "white dudes" at ILB both show better range and coverage abilities than Leo, especially Rose who had 5 INTs last year.  How is that calling out Leo as a bad athlete?  Granted Rose is not as powerful but McFadden like I said is very similar athletically to Leo and can get after the QB with his speed and is a great blitzing LB but what he is not good because he does not play for Wisconsin?

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Do you see Chenal as a turn-and-run LB in coverage or a zone only?  To me, that is the difference between a 3 down LB and a 2 down LB in this NFL.  I have not seen him do a turn and run.  I have seen him as a blitzer on 3rd downs.  Can he turn-and-run?  Don't know because either he or the scheme is not showing it in college.

Clearly the key blitzing players in that system are the inside linebackers and a lot of action is funneled to them.  I have said before it is not the first time a ILB on Wisconsin has had a boat load of sacks.  And they are not always asked to do things they will be asked to do in the NFL and that can be an issue, Bama linebackers are constantly put in space and this year especially have looked kind of bad at times but at least one can see what they are like when they are not protected and asked to do difficult cover tasks.  I posted this already once before.

Wisconsin linebackers, three guys on this first list had double digit sack numbers from a OLB or ILB spot, and could argue none are good pros.  Baun still is a big early to tell but the rest are either place holders like Van Ginkel or straight backups or are simply out of the NFL.  Chris Borland was promising but got hurt and his career was finished too soon.  I must say TJ Edwards has done ok on the Eagles and made them cut Eric Wilson the free agent and he is now starting, so possibly he could be a good player but not sure how great he will be.  

Zach Baun
Chris Orr
Andrew Van Ginkel
Garret Dooley
Vince Biegel
TJ Edwards
Ryan Connelly
Jack Cichy
Leon Jacobs
Derek Landisch
Chris Borland
Brendan Kelly

Arguably in that 10 year span only these two have been actually successful LBs in the NFL, and clearly TJ Watt is JJ's brother so not like he is falling of a tree again anytime soon.

TJ Watt
Joe Schobert

@Ozzymy rant was directed at the other guy that posted the image, not you. I respect your knowledge of prospects.

Re Wisconsin players:

Baun could pan out, TJE is decent considering he is 230/6' and a below avg athlete, AVG has done ok and is a good pass rusher, Biegel was the best player on Miami d the other year but has had bad injuries, Borland was great but retired due to concussion concerns. A few of the other guys like Cichy have shown promise but get too many injuries.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Romeo Doubs the 24th best WR?

I've been round about on Doubs. But lately I'm questioning just how fast he really is. Because speed is his primary feather. He tracks the ball well but his hands can be inconsistent. He's got quick feet after the catch but he goes down on first contact. If he can't beat guys off the line and run past them, he's got nothing.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Folesadelphia said:

Erik Ezukanma isn't in your top 33 WRs?

Hadn't watched Texas Tech in a while.

He was a fun watch. Catches everything with vice hands and is trouble after the catch. I'm surprised he's never returned kicks ..looks like he could be a solid punt returner. Reminds me of a bigger Shi Smith...who I might've liked too much last year. I liked Vasher last year also as a sleeper but Ezukanma's game might translate better..especially if he doesn't have any similar red flags. #12 WR for me rn.

Edited by BrownLeader

5 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Hadn't watched Texas Tech in a while.

He was a fun watch. Catches everything with vice hands and is trouble after the catch. I'm surprised he's never returned kicks ..looks like he could be a solid punt returner. Reminds me of a bigger Shi Smith...who I might've liked too much last year. I liked Vasher last year also as a sleeper but Ezukanma's game might translate better..especially if he doesn't have any similar red flags. #12 WR for me rn.

Ok, I wasn't sure if I just missed him or that you didn't have him ranked highly. I think what you said here is a fair assessment. He is a bull in RAC situations. He's got a big frame and strong hands. Plucks the ball out of the air in contested situations. Also, he does a good job of stacking his man and then tracks the ball really well. He can adjust and control his body in the air to make acrobatic catches. He has the size and athleticism NFL teams want in their perimeter WRs. I think one weakness he has is that he isn't required to run many different routes at Texas Tech. He will likely need to work on smoothing out and tightening up his routes as well as expanding his overall route tree. I'm much higher on Ezukanma than I was on Vasher. Vasher has a lot of off the field concerns and general work ethic concerns. I think his lanky frame is indicative of his lack of effort. He hasn't put the work in to fill out his frame. He lacked lateral mobility and short area quickness. He is a long-strider and profiles as a possession receiver but he doesn't have the muscle to consistently operate in the middle of the field and/or in contested catch situations. I believe he would have been a day 3 pick without the red flags.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Epyon said:

Curious as to where you'd rank Skyy Moore -WR, W. Michigan.

Interesting slot guy that I hadn't watched. Breakout year has him on sleeper watch for a lot of people. Quicker than fast, great ball skills and fearless. I would've liked to see him more as a returner to up his stock..and it's unfortunate he couldn't finish the Michigan game. I don't think he's as explosive as Eskridge and I want to see him get more physical through contact at the catch point. I've got him #24 WR right now but I'm curious how he'll test.

• Like 1