If He Were to Retire Today is Matt Ryan a HOF Quarterback?

brownie man

Not for me.

I’d put him at roughly the same level as Rivers and Roethlisberger, but whereas Ben won a couple of rings the other two didn’t, and in a very strong overall era for QBs some top players are going to miss out.

From the QBs who started playing in the late 90s or 2000s, Brady, P. Manning, Rodgers, Brees are all surefire Hall of Famers. How many more will we realistically see going in from this era? Ben will be #5, and Eli will probably be #6. And fwiw, I don’t think Eli is as good as Ryan or indeed any of the other names I’ve mentioned, but his two championships probably get him in ahead of some better QBs.

I think Rivers, Eli and Ben are all ahead of him from that group.

4x Pro Bowl is probably not enough. the one MVP season is a good counter point that the others don't have but people will also remember 28-3.

So in the end, I think people will view him as the 8th best QB from that era even though I think he could easily be 5th but that's how the voters will see it imo. 

The last era saw also 8 QBs get in but you have to add Warner to this era as a special case, so he might fall down to 9th.

He might get in but it's a fringe case and if he does, he will have to wait a long time.

Perhaps down the road, but he, like Rivers I'm guessing is going to have a hard time getting enshrined. This is assuming Matt retired today. The funny thing is if Matt had this type of career, and retired like 20 years ago he'd probably get in like Warren Moon or Dan Fouts did. Neither of which got to a Super Bowl. But the emphasis on acquiring the hardware has increased in addition to the league having a bunch of guys also putting up impressive numbers. 

7 hours ago, SBLIII said:

I think Rivers, Eli and Ben are all ahead of him from that group.

4x Pro Bowl is probably not enough. the one MVP season is a good counter point that the others don't have but people will also remember 28-3.

So in the end, I think people will view him as the 8th best QB from that era even though I think he could easily be 5th but that's how the voters will see it imo. 

The last era saw also 8 QBs get in but you have to add Warner to this era as a special case, so he might fall down to 9th.

He might get in but it's a fringe case and if he does, he will have to wait a long time.

He's 9th all time in passing yards and TDs. He'll get in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

He's not a guy who should get in. He's been a mostly top 10 QB with a year or two where he was top 5. Hall of Very Good.

Let's be honest, he played in an era with the best of the best. Brady, Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Eli, Brees, and he was consistently in the mix with Roethlisberger and Rivers for that QB5 spot. If anything, you could say that Young and Aikman weren't even top 5 QBs most years they played and they still got in. This isn't a legit argument.

1 minute ago, scar988 said:

Let's be honest, he played in an era with the best of the best. Brady, Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Eli, Brees, and he was consistently in the mix with Roethlisberger and Rivers for that QB5 spot. If anything, you could say that Young and Aikman weren't even top 5 QBs most years they played and they still got in. This isn't a legit argument.

Yes it is. Being elite compared to your peers is kind of a prerequisite. Matt Ryan was considered elite for what...one season? More often than not he wasn't in the conversation with those guys except Eli and down years Rivers, and neither of those guys should be locks.

1 minute ago, Bullet Club said:

Yes it is. Being elite compared to your peers is kind of a prerequisite. Matt Ryan was considered elite for what...one season? More often than not he wasn't in the conversation with those guys except Eli and down years Rivers, and neither of those guys should be locks.

The thing is, he statistically should have been. Even in years the Falcons were complete and utter garbage like 2020, 2013 and 2014, he had very good years. He was the only reason why they even came close to .500 in 2018 and 2019. Ryan has had a great career. Consistency in the top 6-7 QBs every single year. As a passer, there are few better than him all time. And at worst, he's one of the top 15-20 QBs to ever play the game. The idea that he's just some dude ignores all of what he's accomplished. Take away Brees Super Bowl ring in 2009 and most people would see him the same way people see Matt Ryan. A guy who played top 5-6 ball at the position every year, but was never the top guy... and Brees doesn't even have an MVP.

I just don’t watch that guy play football and say “that’s a hall of fame quarterback”.

I know that’s not like super hard hitting analysis but i’d be willing to bet 85%+ of non-falcon fans agree with that.

If he gets in to the HOF it’s just...idk. I have a hard time formulating my thoughts on Matt Ryan but i’m willing to bet a majority of people feel the same way haha

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, scar988 said:

The thing is, he statistically should have been. Even in years the Falcons were complete and utter garbage like 2020, 2013 and 2014, he had very good years. He was the only reason why they even came close to .500 in 2018 and 2019. Ryan has had a great career. Consistency in the top 6-7 QBs every single year. As a passer, there are few better than him all time. And at worst, he's one of the top 15-20 QBs to ever play the game. The idea that he's just some dude ignores all of what he's accomplished. Take away Brees Super Bowl ring in 2009 and most people would see him the same way people see Matt Ryan. A guy who played top 5-6 ball at the position every year, but was never the top guy... and Brees doesn't even have an MVP.

No one said "He's just some dude".  He's a Hall of Very Good guy. Even if you take away 2009 Drew Brees still has a HoF resume. 2x OPOY, 4 All Pro's, 2 NFC championship appearances, and countless passing records. Almost every one of Matt Ryan's big accomplishments came in 2016 which ala Cam seems like a fluke compared to the rest of his career. Without 2016 he's made one NFC championship game, and that's basically it among QB accolades.

Edited by Bullet Club

6 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

No one said "He's just some dude".  He's a Hall of Very Good guy. Even if you take away 2009 Drew Brees still has a HoF resume. 2x OPOY, 4 All Pro's, 2 NFC championship appearances, and countless passing records. Almost every one of Matt Ryan's big accomplishments came in 2016 which ala Cam seems like a fluke compared to the rest of his career. Without 2016 he's made one NFC championship game, and that's basically it among QB accolades.

Only NFL passer in history to have 10 straight 4,000 yard seasons... That's a pretty big accomplishment. 

Most passing yards through 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14 years. That's a pretty big accomplishment. And he's only 2 games into his 14th year. By the time his career wraps, he could be 2nd on all the books ahead of Brees. And Brees will probably have more seasons played.