Jaguars trade for DT Marcell Dareus

pwny

10 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I feel like I'm overhyping this more than I should be, but damn, I remember watching him a few years back (+ taking Linder to school last year) and man is he a talent. I really think this change of scenery is going to do him well. Adding a potential impact, elite level player IF things go the right way is an absolute game changer. Especially nabbing a guy at the weakest part of our defense (which is elite), it should do wonders. At the very least, as I said prior, he should be an upgrade as far as stopping the run. I think we all know that we could use that.

I think the last sentence should be the expectation for him. Dareus has some issues that have kept him from realizing his full talent on a regular basis. 

We’re bad against the run. 5.2 YPC is very bad. Even if we subtract that 75 yard run, it’s still at a bad 4.8 YPC. We needed someone to anchor that front and at least help get that aspect down to a respectable point if this team is going to find the consistency needed to not only get to the playoffs but to be able to beat teams like the Chiefs or Titans who run the ball effectively.

Abry wasn’t the biggest problem with the run defense. Having Ngakoue at RE, Fowler at LE, and Jack at SLB are all varying levels of liabilities in the run game as well. But subbing Abry and his one sack out for Dareus puts an anchor in the middle of that run defense without impacting what the other 3 have been able to do in the pass game. We now have someone who can anchor that middle of the run defense and helps to shore up some of the gap problems we’ve had. It’s a pure upgrade to the starting spot, the rotation at that spot, with no on-field downside.

That itself is worth a 6th rounder and potentially 5th rounder. I was literally thinking just like two hours before this trade went through that I needed to start scouting 1st round NTs because that might be where that first pick of the draft went. They instead addressed it with a 5th or 6th. Anything else that he might be able to offer in the passing game if he gets his head on straight is just an extra.

I am torn on this trade and not because I think we're giving up much (I don't think we're giving up anything), but because of the possible distraction that Marcell Dareus could be. He has had some issues with Marrone before (called him a micro-manager and complained about some of the ways he does things). Now here's my hope, I hope Marrone has softened up enough (remember the Americas Game episode about the Giants and TC saying how he had to soften up on the players and show more compassion) to not irk Dareus, but also Dareus has matured enough to see the bigger picture. 

I'd like this trade to be closer to what happened when the Bills decided Marshawn Lynch was washed up and to ship him to Seattle. He showed that he still had a lot left in the tank and had his best years of football while helping them win a championship and staying out of trouble. 

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/10/marcell_dareus_to_reunite_with_anal_head_coach_doug_marrone.html

Side Note: A user by the name of "Big Bang" predicted the future back in 2015. 

thebigbangAug 14, 2015

" hey marcell,listen we have decided to go in a different direction...we just traded you to Jacksonville...."

21 minutes ago, Jags said:

I am torn on this trade and not because I think we're giving up much (I don't think we're giving up anything), but because of the possible distraction that Marcell Dareus could be. He has had some issues with Marrone before (called him a micro-manager and complained about some of the ways he does things). Now here's my hope, I hope Marrone has softened up enough (remember the Americas Game episode about the Giants and TC saying how he had to soften up on the players and show more compassion) to not irk Dareus, but also Dareus has matured enough to see the bigger picture. 

I'd like this trade to be closer to what happened when the Bills decided Marshawn Lynch was washed up and to ship him to Seattle. He showed that he still had a lot left in the tank and had his best years of football while helping them win a championship and staying out of trouble. 

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/10/marcell_dareus_to_reunite_with_anal_head_coach_doug_marrone.html

Side Note: A user by the name of "Big Bang" predicted the future back in 2015. 

thebigbangAug 14, 2015

" hey marcell,listen we have decided to go in a different direction...we just traded you to Jacksonville...."

I guess we'll see what happens, but considering all the variables including: Dareus is older, since Marrone left he seems to have fallen back a bit, Jacksonvilles defense is top 2 in the league and plays to players strengths (everyone including Jalen says this), AND he gets out of Buffalo which seems to have been a poor fit. Not to mention we have DPOY of the year so far who is a guy who seems to have a major impact on anyone and everyone on that DL.

No one will know until we get moving, but I'm really not worried tbh because of the reasons stated above. Results don'tlie, we've picked top 5-10 for a decade and Marrones first year as HC we sit at 4-3 at the bye. Whatever Marrone is doing thus far is most definitely needed AND working.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Will we get a presser/interview from Dareus anytime soon or? Feel like a player like him is worthy of it.

Wonder what # he'll get. Ankou has 99 already, maybe he'd pay for it?

I know he wore 57 at Bama and I believe D-Line can have numbers in the 50s or he could do 75 to mix it up. He possibly gets Ankou to sell the jersey. 

1 minute ago, Jags said:

I know he wore 57 at Bama and I believe D-Line can have numbers in the 50s or he could do 75 to mix it up. He possibly gets Ankou to sell the jersey. 

Yeah, 57 would look a little odd but it'd work.

Wonder how this will impact Ankou's work as well. I really think he's been a pretty solid rotational guy so far. Hope we keep him around.

12 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, 57 would look a little odd but it'd work.

Wonder how this will impact Ankou's work as well. I really think he's been a pretty solid rotational guy so far. Hope we keep him around.

How I'm hoping this works out: Dareus in run support and pass rush > Jones and Jones in rotation > Ankou. Ankou is just another developmental guy who makes the most of each snap he gets. 

Archived