Jaguars trade for DT Marcell Dareus

pwny

If Dareus comes in here ready to go with a fresh new start, can you seriously imagine what this defense will be like?

I'm so happy we called them today and got it done. We have a hole, he, at the very least if he doesn't get back to his all-pro level form, will provide us with a very solid run stuffer. If things don't work out then we cut him next year. No big deal.

Can't give enough credit to the FO for jumping on this one. Prior to the scheme change and Dareus getting off track, this guy was an absolute monster.

1 minute ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

qY39fYX.gif

I feel like I'm overhyping this more than I should be, but damn, I remember watching him a few years back (+ taking Linder to school last year) and man is he a talent. I really think this change of scenery is going to do him well. Adding a potential impact, elite level player IF things go the right way is an absolute game changer. Especially nabbing a guy at the weakest part of our defense (which is elite), it should do wonders. At the very least, as I said prior, he should be an upgrade as far as stopping the run. I think we all know that we could use that.

When I saw this I was shocked. It's been several hours and I still am. Even if he doesn't work out, grabbing a player of this magnitude at such a low price is absolutely insane.

My initial reaction was mild confusion.  It's not like our DLine has been bad.

But then i saw we got him for a throwaway pick and was like okay.  And then i actually thought about it, and Dareus>Abry Jones which could make this DLine historically good if it works as well as it could on paper.

Don't think this really even impacts Malik Jackson at all, as so many pundits seem to have speculated.  It's all about getting a different fat man to do what Abry Jones does, but a bit better in basically every way.  I'm into that.

It'll be hilarious to watch if this works as planned.

29 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I feel like I'm overhyping this more than I should be, but damn, I remember watching him a few years back (+ taking Linder to school last year) and man is he a talent. I really think this change of scenery is going to do him well. Adding a potential impact, elite level player IF things go the right way is an absolute game changer. Especially nabbing a guy at the weakest part of our defense (which is elite), it should do wonders. At the very least, as I said prior, he should be an upgrade as far as stopping the run. I think we all know that we could use that.

When I saw this I was shocked. It's been several hours and I still am. Even if he doesn't work out, grabbing a player of this magnitude at such a low price is absolutely insane.

I do think the "low price" of acquisition is directly related to the high price of cap.  In a vacuum, it's tough to stomach that kind of money on that sort of un-glamorous player.  But we're the Jaguars, we got money to spend.  What do we care?  I dig it.

May turn into a situation like Randy from the Raiders, to the Pats.. but i'm weary of Dareus because of his demons with losing family members at a young age, numerous issues off the field trouble getting on time to events.. I like the core of the locker room and right now those guys are solid I love seeing them interact with each other. I worry about if we get the bad unmotivated, lazy, and out of shape.. or is he going to come here be rejuvenated by a new situation and thrive around other savages? Because he can come here play his self into shape and and we can literally be the Ravens of 01'. Abry has clearly been the weak link on this line.. this could push this D to next level. 

9 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

May turn into a situation like Randy from the Raiders, to the Pats.. but i'm weary of Dareus because of his demons with losing family members at a young age, numerous issues off the field trouble getting on time to events.. I like the core of the locker room and right now those guys are solid I love seeing them interact with each other. I worry about if we get the bad unmotivated, lazy, and out of shape.. or is he going to come here be rejuvenated by a new situation and thrive around other savages? Because he can come here play his self into shape and and we can literally be the Ravens of 01'. Abry has clearly been the weak link on this line.. this could push this D to next level. 

It's not like Abry has been terrible.  But vs the Run, we've undeniably had problems.  That's an achilles heel that any team is going to absolutely shred to pieces in a playoff matchup for instance.  Upgrading that spot with Dareus should help with that.

As for the character stuff...i'd be a bit more concerned maybe, if he was coming into a previous Jaguars room where we obviously didn't have the right sort of attitude and character in the room to keep the guy on the right path.  I'm starting to feel like, for the first time in a long time...we actually might have a strong room to drop a player into.  Plus, obviously Marrone was consulted on this...and if he thinks he can get the most out of the guy, i'm okay with that.  He obviously knows what makes the guy tick and is confident he can get him going here, and knows what makes the guy tick.  It's not a totally blind shot in the dark.

If I'm not mistaken the numbers saved by the Bill will be the actual salary that the Jags would be paying him per yer. The Bills still take the hit of 14 mil this year and I think its a cap hit for them of a shade over 10 mil in 18.. and well plus the 6th round pick 

22 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

You scored 2 STs TDs. Dareus wasnt bringing those back

Not really saying he would have. Just making a general statement about how good your defense is and I'd prefer to not have to play them again.

45 minutes ago, RamRod said:

Not really saying he would have. Just making a general statement about how good your defense is and I'd prefer to not have to play them again.

Please forgive us. We're just a little salty from the past. The Rams are a good team and they showed up on all facets to win that game. 

17 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

Other notes to the trade this is potentially a 5th rd pick if Dareus remains on the roster and the Jags make the playoffs. 

I hope this trade ends up being a 5th round pick. Go ME!

Archived