Week 3 General Discussion Thread

NYRaider

2 hours ago, EvilenFroggen said:

Speaking of players getting away, I love Matthew Stafford and enjoy watching him in LA.

As a division rival fan, reading the responses in the Stafford goes to LA thread it was obvious people never really watched him play. Great player, glad he is killing it so far.

I don't know why fellow Dolphin fans are upset about that safety. It was a terrific play call and an absolutely horrendous throw. If Brissett fires that ball to chest level then it's Waddle one on one in the open field. That's exactly why you drafted him. It could have been a length of the field touchdown. That's what a team on Miami's level has to shoot for, not some pathetic run up the middle. 

But when your quarterback somehow throws a moonball that leaves Waddle's legs exposes before he ever lands, then yeah it's a disaster.

The incompetent play call was punting on 4th and 2 at the Raider 42 in the first half. That is old school ignorance. It is the equivalent of half a turnover. It would have been a terrible call even if Matt Haack were still the Miami punter. He is great at pinning deep inside the 5 or 10. But when you got rid of Haack and your new punter has a comparatively erratic and undependable wedge game, then it's pure stupidity not to go for it.

Somehow I always knew my +4 on the Dolphins would collect. Those Crowd vs Crowd wagers are such fundamental logic gold it always seems like forces show up to prevent the mediocre team from winning by 4+ points, no matter what is going on. 

Besides, the Raiders are a mistake prone comedy act against the Dolphins. I don't watch every game to know if they screw up similarly all season long. But against Miami I'm always sure they will find some way to blow a key possession, or a have a flock of huge penalties on vital plays, or surrender all their time outs for no particular reason, etc. Consequently when the clock was running down to nothing at 25-17 it seemed inevitable Brissett would score on that 4th down play, even if he had to dodge half the team or rely on some Raider to bail him out via another penalty. 

I do not agree the Dolphins have some great blueprint going on, and it's a matter of time. Marginal roster. They played well on the road after a defeat. That is standard fare. But when they faced a divisional rival at home when that rival was guaranteed to be extremely energized after a loss, the Dolphins were a non-competitive embarrassment.

Miami has three main strengths:

* Dependably create key turnovers

* Solid defensive front that steps up on short yardage

* Many excellent designs in the short passing game. Actually they are one of the best in the league in that category. It is one of the reasons I knew the Raiders would be hopeless to stop those designs once Miami finally defaulted to them at the 2 minute warning. It is always ridiculous that the Dolphins waste so many plays with deep drops and extended routes when the quick short stuff will thrive.

44 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Can we stop the Mac Jones hype train now?

Check out our RT's attempt at a block. Now please tell me how any QB can look even competent under these conditions? I'm not saying Mac has been good (he's been alright), but you are totally putting everything on him. You of all people should know what bad protection can do to your QB. Mac is playing admirably, considering this sieve of an OL

actually, both tackles just fall down on this...

Edited by Hunter2_1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Kliff is a fun/innovative coach but I think at times he gets a little too wild for his own good. 

He has his biggest challenge this week. He has never beat Mcvay, now is the perfect. Rams coming off a big win, team could come back down to earth a bit

That was a nutty game in Baltimore. Mad props to Justin Tucker on the record boot. Best kicker in my opinion regardless of era. Such an advantage having him on a squad. The Ravens and Raiders three games in have had some close games. I'd actually like to see those two teams meet again down the road. 

Three weeks in and there are already so many good candidates for Game of the Year. The Chargers/Chiefs game was exciting, and now the entire AFC West is a complete mystery as to who will come out on top. 

Hopefully Andy Reid recovers, and can get join the Chiefs again. Sucks that he got sick. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

Also, these rookie quarterbacks...oof. Even with Jimmy G playing bad, I'm not pounding the table for Trey to start yet. If he were to play that bad as some of the others (which is a real possibility despite being in an ideal situation) fans will be quick to turn on him like other fans from other teams have with their prized dude. Don't want to see that happen so soon.

• Like 1