Unleash Dillon

Les Punting

10 hours ago, cannondale said:

Where did I say Jones is just a RB ?? As a matter of fact - I literally defended him and his contract in another post. Furthermore, I said the offense should run through him. And drafting an Edge after signing 2 top end FA's to huge money while the DL was dismal is certainly a valid question. And dare I say the proof is in the pudding.

It certainly seemed implied when you were complaining about drafting a RB high.  And how bad would our defense be without Rashan Gary right now?  We're complaining about Jonathan Garvin and Chauncey Rivers getting actual snaps, but you're in here complaining that we used the 12th overall pick on Gary.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It certainly seemed implied when you were complaining about drafting a RB high.  And how bad would our defense be without Rashan Gary right now?  We're complaining about Jonathan Garvin and Chauncey Rivers getting actual snaps, but you're in here complaining that we used the 12th overall pick on Gary.

Is that a serious question ?

I think Brian Burns wouldn't work with this group TBH. I was one who pushed hard for Burns at the time, but after seeing how Gary has been used I quickly changed my opinion.

Getting back on topic: there's no reason we shouldn't see a heavy dose of Dillon off A-gap today. As I joked in another thread, we should run the triple option off A-gap all day with the occasional pass on 3rd and 21.

Haven't been impressed with him thus far. Looks more like a FB than RB out there. Don't think his vision is that good. Instead of picking a hole he seems to just run into the backs of his blockers and drag guys. I want to see him make people miss. Don't know what happened last night the OL were opening good holes. Jones took advantage but Dillon couldn't. He needs to be more decisive and explode though the hole, he looks like he's running on sand this year, no burst what so ever. What happened to him did he gain a lot of weight? To be honest he hasn't looked better than Williams. Not the one, two punch I was hoping for.

Edited by St Vince

39 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Haven't been impressed with him thus far. Looks more like a FB than RB out there. Don't think his vision is that good. Instead of picking a hole he seems to just run into the backs of his blockers and drag guys. I want to see him make people miss. Don't know what happened last night the OL were opening good holes. Jones took advantage but Dillon couldn't. He needs to be more decisive and explode though the hole, he looks like he's running on sand this year, no burst what so ever. What happened to him did he gain a lot of weight? To be honest he hasn't looked better than Williams. Not the one, two punch I was hoping for.

Give it time. Jamaal Williams was trash until his third year.  Henry wasn't that guy either... till that 3rd.

• Like 1

He’s a big man and does have speed for his size. Vision should improve with more carries. He doesn’t have the instant acceleration of smaller backs, but wait til the weather turns and everyone loses a half a step. We will get the bulldozer going in the second half of the season. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

here are some comments from Rodgers on Dillon and his impressive playbook prep:

“He’s just a different type of back,” Rodgers said of Dillon. “He’s a cold-weather, Green Bay back that we’ve had over the years. But it’s good to see him get some carries in September and October before it gets cold, and hopefully it gets cold here pretty soon. Smart kid, really smart kid, and that’s what I love about him. He is really taking that step and becoming a three-down back.

“We do a thing where we verify as we break the huddle — responsibility, route, protection stuff — it’s just something I’ve done for years with the back, kind of the first thing that happens when we break the huddle and then we do eye contact and some sort of verbal exchange. And it’s a really good marker of where those guys are at mentally. And, man, he’s been really sharp, he really has, since training camp. I’ve been really impressed with that. As the leader and someone who likes to use my brain to win games, when somebody can match that preparedness like he has, it gives me a lot of confidence. I’m really proud of that kind of jump that he’s made in the past year. Running the ball, he’s a bowling ball. He’s got a lot of weight behind the ball and did a nice job running the football.”

• Like 7

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

If Dillon is good enough to secure a win by rushing for consistent first downs when the defense KNOWS it is coming, he is good enough to be used to win the game in the first place.

he's not, no one is.  He's more likely to not lose yardage when the defense knows the run is coming.  And he's more likely to survive the bigger hits that come with that job.

He can be part of the split, but I'd rather see the more dynamic player getting the majority of the  ball to make big plays.  And if he's the more dynamic player, well, then they shouldn't have kept Jones on that deal.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

he's not, no one is.  He's more likely to not lose yardage when the defense knows the run is coming.  And he's more likely to survive the bigger hits that come with that job.

He can be part of the split, but I'd rather see the more dynamic player getting the majority of the  ball to make big plays.  And if he's the more dynamic player, well, then they shouldn't have kept Jones on that deal.

You'd swear Aaron Jones was Williams or something based on this forum on this forum this season...

• Like 2