Unleash Dillon

Les Punting

21 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

he's not, no one is.  He's more likely to not lose yardage when the defense knows the run is coming.  And he's more likely to survive the bigger hits that come with that job.

He can be part of the split, but I'd rather see the more dynamic player getting the majority of the  ball to make big plays.  And if he's the more dynamic player, well, then they shouldn't have kept Jones on that deal.

Not so sure the hits are as hard at the end of the game as they'd be at the beginning, but AJ Dillon can take what he dishes out as well being a bigger back. 

With a banged up OL this weekend, we may run him a bit more off b-gap in order to protect and rest Jones a bit. Given the injury report, I think we're going to have to win this one by controlling the clock and slowly put points on the board while pressuring Joe Burrow as much as possible. It looks like he'll have his full compliment of WR's whereas Joe Mixon's pretty banged up from the reports I just read.

As for Dillon as a dynamic player, I'd have to say he was drafted to be a bit of a change-of-pace back; yes, the whole "thunder-n-lightning" argument. I seriously doubt he'll be expected to be the kind of back that Jones is.

On 9/27/2021 at 10:08 AM, vegas492 said:

I've got no issues with how Dillon is being used right now.

This is the NFL.  Rb's are going to get hurt.  You need good backups.  That's Dillon.

And maybe when the weather turns nasty, he will be a bigger part of the offense.  And he will be pretty fresh.

I was expecting it more to be like the 2:1 ratio that Jones:Williams had, but I suppose he may have to earn that. 

...huh, I guess looking at it Jones has 70 carries/tgts and Dillon has 36, so it's right where Williams was. It seems to be more of a "few plays here and there" though, not like it was with Williams where Jones would get 2 series and then Jamaal would get 1. 

On 10/8/2021 at 5:59 PM, Mr Bad Example said:

It seems to be more of a "few plays here and there" though, not like it was with Williams where Jones would get 2 series and then Jamaal would get 1. 

It's a MLF mixing it up type of thing IMO.

On 10/8/2021 at 4:59 PM, Mr Bad Example said:

I was expecting it more to be like the 2:1 ratio that Jones:Williams had, but I suppose he may have to earn that.

...huh, I guess looking at it Jones has 70 carries/tgts and Dillon has 36, so it's right where Williams was. It seems to be more of a "few plays here and there" though, not like it was with Williams where Jones would get 2 series and then Jamaal would get 1. 

I think that exactly how first half has been.  Two series Jones then Dillon.  Obviously not all series are comparable in length, and depending on how the defense is doing, we may not get a lot of first half drives.  

I may be misremembering, but I thought Sunday was unique in that MLF subbed in Dillon for a situational play, rather than a full series.  In past, I thought he was totally a series guy.  But there was a 3rd-and-1 play where Dillon came in, and got the ball, and made it.  (Maybe it was 2nd-and-1, can't remember.). I don't recall that kind of usage before.    

• Like 1

I think Dillion is very much in the big picture plan, but they're still trying to figure things out. Obviously the injuries on the O-line are not helping that. I like what we saw last week, and expect them to come strong with Dillion. This was always an offense predicated on the run. Dillon if firing on all cylinders is not only dangerous himself, but think of the play actions.... Especially with no MVS... 

• Like 1

Also, if you're largely a "series" guy, how many touches and carries you get can depend a lot on how long the drive is?  If it's a long drive that scores a TD, but has five first downs along the way, Dillon might get a volume of touches.  If it's 1-2-3 punt, not so.  

30 minutes ago, craig said:

Also, if you're largely a "series" guy, how many touches and carries you get can depend a lot on how long the drive is?  If it's a long drive that scores a TD, but has five first downs along the way, Dillon might get a volume of touches.  If it's 1-2-3 punt, not so.  

True, but one expects that evens out after a few games. Alternately, if the difference between all extended drives and a team's 3-and-outs is the RB on that series, it's time for someone to go. 

Dillon looks to me like he gets better the more carries he gets.

Once the weather turns, he will get more touches in the run game.  And he's been excellent as a 250 pound third down back so far!

Yah, we can lament the use of a second round pick on a RB, while re-signing Jones, but Dillon is a player.  And he can be used with Jones on the field at the same time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

...And he can be used with Jones on the field at the same time.

Has that happened yet this year?  Probably has on a couple of snaps, I just probably didn't even notice.  I recall that was a really fun set against the Rams last January.  But not sure how useful it's been thus far.  

Tangent:  I'm doubtful that "cold-weather-back" is very real.  Will temps in the 40's make Rodgers unable or unwilling to throw?  Will temps in the 40's make Jones unable to run?  Not at all.  Will temps in the 40's make defensive linemen and linebackers and safeties get slower, weaker, or dumber?  Not much...  And will temps in the 40's make Newman, Nijman, or Runyan more powerful or more able to drive-block defenders better?  Not much...  So I admit I don't really understand what the "cold-weather-back" bit is really about, or if it's real in any meaningful way?  

It may be real in the sense that coaches might believe in it, and it's the coaches beliefs that dictate playing time.   So maybe if temps in the 40's causes MLF to give more EQ and Deguara snaps to Dillon, perhaps it will seem like he's more productive given more snaps.  

How have the Dillon snaps actually gone? 

• Week one kinda meaningless, because the Packers ran not many.  Dillon teens, Jones 20's.
  • Weeks 2-5:  Jones in the 40's each week.
  • Weeks 2-3:  Dillon in the upper teens.
  • Weeks 4-5:  Dillon in the 20's.  

The ratio has been kinda 2:1 Jones/Dillon.  But it may be more a case where Jones gets used into the 40's, and that's his quota... and that Dillon picks up the rest.  If the offense runs a lot of plays, which in turn often means we're winning in the 4th quarter, he probably gets some extras?

18 hours ago, craig said:

Has that happened yet this year?  Probably has on a couple of snaps, I just probably didn't even notice.  I recall that was a really fun set against the Rams last January.  But not sure how useful it's been thus far.  

Yes.  We flanked Jones out quite a few times the last few games.  He's very versatile out there.

19 hours ago, craig said:

Tangent:  I'm doubtful that "cold-weather-back" is very real.  Will temps in the 40's make Rodgers unable or unwilling to throw?  Will temps in the 40's make Jones unable to run?  Not at all.  Will temps in the 40's make defensive linemen and linebackers and safeties get slower, weaker, or dumber?  Not much...  And will temps in the 40's make Newman, Nijman, or Runyan more powerful or more able to drive-block defenders better?  Not much...  So I admit I don't really understand what the "cold-weather-back" bit is really about, or if it's real in any meaningful way?  

It may be real in the sense that coaches might believe in it, and it's the coaches beliefs that dictate playing time.   So maybe if temps in the 40's causes MLF to give more EQ and Deguara snaps to Dillon, perhaps it will seem like he's more productive given more snaps.  

How have the Dillon snaps actually gone? 

• Week one kinda meaningless, because the Packers ran not many.  Dillon teens, Jones 20's.
  • Weeks 2-5:  Jones in the 40's each week.
  • Weeks 2-3:  Dillon in the upper teens.
  • Weeks 4-5:  Dillon in the 20's.  

The ratio has been kinda 2:1 Jones/Dillon.  But it may be more a case where Jones gets used into the 40's, and that's his quota... and that Dillon picks up the rest.  If the offense runs a lot of plays, which in turn often means we're winning in the 4th quarter, he probably gets some extras?

You ever play the game on any level? (I'm not being sarcastic here, but I am curious.)   Because tackling someone is sub 40 degree weather feels a whole lot different than tackling someone in 60-70 degree weather.  Especially if that someone is as large and powerful as Dillon.

Player reactions are slower in the cold.  Footing isn't as good.

If GB doesn't pound it more with Dillon when it gets cold then we are missing out on what should be prime conditions for him to run.  Hurt them with Dillon, slow them down more, then let Jones' quickness and speed catch them off guard.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

You ever play the game on any level? (I'm not being sarcastic here, but I am curious.)   Because tackling someone is sub 40 degree weather feels a whole lot different than tackling someone in 60-70 degree weather.  Especially if that someone is as large and powerful as Dillon.

Player reactions are slower in the cold.  Footing isn't as good.

If GB doesn't pound it more with Dillon when it gets cold then we are missing out on what should be prime conditions for him to run.  Hurt them with Dillon, slow them down more, then let Jones' quickness and speed catch them off guard.

I've been involved for nearly a decade, many of them championship seasons in a cold weather climate. I have never been affected by snow or cold. And dare I say excelled in it. The hitting never changed me regardless of the weather. I am indeed, built differently, but anyone who makes excuses is a p***y.

MaddenTrophiesGalore

• Like 1

Regarding cold weather playing....

I was always amazed by Favre in the cold.  Biggest arm in the league.  But when the snow would come, he'd take a lot off of his throws and make those balls easier to catch.

I remember watching him play the Colts and Peyton Manning in the cold.  Manning was still throwing fastballs at that time, believe it or not, and his wide out were having a tough time keeping footing while getting their hands up in time.  Their offense was really out of synch.

Rodgers throws the ball at different velocities all the time, I haven't really noticed him modify his game for the snow.  Not like Favre did.