Week 3 - Saints @ Patriots - Lattimore/CJGJ both full participants in practice, Erik McCoy OUT

Dome

12 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

You don’t have to “sling it around” but it’s very obvious Winston is playing scared and I think that’s an outcome of Payton. They aren’t opening the playbook up and he’s holding the ball too long in fear of throwing INTs.

He's definitely hesitating, and that's definitely Payton, but I don't think he's reluctant to open the playbook for Jameis.  He just wants him to take care of the ball and make better decisions.  And if we're winning games with defense and the slower methodical play we've been using since 2017, he's perfectly ok with not putting the game in Jameis hands.  The whole point of the Jameis project was to see if that incredible natural talent he has can mesh with our offensive system.  It's gonna take some time, but honestly, I trust Payton's judgement on the matter and hopefully every week that goes by Jameis will get more and more comfortable playing this way.

Another thing to mention, we've played some really good defenses this year.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Jameis come alive soon against some lesser defenses.

• Like 1

I'm honestly fine with the Winston strategy. Ideally...we'd have the best of both worlds, a guy like Mahomes that can sling it and also make good decisions. But if reprogramming Winston involves being ultra conservative and relying on the defense...I'm completely fine with that. Hopefully over time Jameis will be able to be able to handle the balance. Not many defenses throughout NFL history can be that good to not have the offense do their part at some point. 

5 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

I'm honestly fine with the Winston strategy. Ideally...we'd have the best of both worlds, a guy like Mahomes that can sling it and also make good decisions. But if reprogramming Winston involves being ultra conservative and relying on the defense...I'm completely fine with that. Hopefully over time Jameis will be able to be able to handle the balance. Not many defenses throughout NFL history can be that good to not have the offense do their part at some point. 

So we all know Winston can sling the thing 60 yards and hit a guy in stride. We haven't had that in years. So for Payton to show patience and build the confidence of Jameis while pushing the rest of the team to perform high, frankly, is brilliant. As a team, we should - every team should - have the ability for the other side of the ball to step up.

Remember when Brees was throwing 5000+ yards but we still had a 7-9 season (3 in a row). Our D sucked. That's changed, dramatically.

I truly think we're on the brink of a special season. Sure, week 2 sucked, but name a (not 72 Dolphins) team that's run the slate and not had a let down or 2. 

Hang on tight, folks. We're in for a ride.