Trevor Lawrence is looking like a bad pick for the Jags

notthatbluestuff

16 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

No he didn't. 

Josh Jacobs was the rookie of the Week 1 time. Minshew won it 7 times. Dating back to the award's creation in 2002, Minshew is the only player to win rookie of the week at least 5 times and not win rookie of the year. No other rookie won the weekly award more than once in 2019, and only 7 other offensive players won the award at all, meaning that Minshew had as many wins as every single other offensive rookie in the league combined. In the last 15 years, only 2 players have won rookie of the Year with only one weekly win, and one of those was that year with Kyler. Jameis Winston is the only other QB to win the rookie of the week at least twice and lose the award to a non-QB who didn't win the weekly award at least 5 times; and Winston only won it 3 times.

So yes, he did.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, pwny said:

Josh Jacobs was the rookie of the Week 1 time. Minshew won it 7 times. Dating back to the award's creation in 2002, Minshew is the only player to win rookie of the week at least 5 times and not win rookie of the year. No other rookie won the weekly award more than once in 2019, and only 7 other offensive players won the award at all, meaning that Minshew had as many wins as every single other offensive rookie in the league combined. In the last 15 years, only 2 players have won rookie of the Year with only one weekly win, and one of those was that year with Kyler. Jameis Winston is the only other QB to win the rookie of the week at least twice and lose the award to a non-QB who didn't win the weekly award at least 5 times; and Winston only won it 3 times.

So yes, he did.

Jacobs was like 3rd in rushing yards per game

On 10/28/2021 at 12:23 PM, ET80 said:

Me neither...

I ended up looking it up.  I'm assuming they're referencing the Pepsi Rookie of the Week award, that is voted on by fans in an online poll.  That is the only thing I'm seeing.  I don't know why that would have bearing on who should win the NFL's RoY award, voted on by the AP.  Especially when you factor in Minshew's appeal to fans, as a rookie.  This is how Peyton Hillis ended up on the cover of Madden.  To me, it's like saying the NBA MVP lacks credibility because the leading vote getter for the All-Star game didn't win the award.  Pepsi didn't even select Minshew, for their own RoY award, it looks like.  They just name one, and selected Nick Bosa.  

Edited by OkeyDoke21
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, pwny said:

So yes, he did.

So I'm on board with what you said, but the post above says the Pepsi Rookie of the Week award is an online fan poll. If that's the case... who wins however many rookie of the weeks would have no bearing on the actual yearly award.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

I'm assuming they're referencing the Pepsi Rookie of the Week award, that is voted on by fans in an online poll. 

So - the internet decides? The same internet that tried to name a boat "Boaty McBoatface"?

Yeah, this award doesn't really hold any water whatsoever. We all know Minshew is popular, that probably had more bearing to these awards moreso than any on-field performance.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 11:51 AM, notthatbluestuff said:

Just wow - who cares about the Pepsi Rookie of the Week? Baker Mayfield won that "award" 7 times in 2018 compared to Saquon Barkley, who won it only once. Guess which one of them won OROY? 

Pepsi ROY is almost as valuable as the NVP.

• 4 weeks later...