Trevor Lawrence is looking like a bad pick for the Jags

notthatbluestuff

6 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, not sure I’d use that as an example in said highlight.

But still, those were from a single game. This is happening every week. He has had his rookie moments but his “box score issues” have more to do with what’s around him than Trevor himself. 

The jags offense has pretty mediocre talent. Lawrence will be fine once they add a few more pieces.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The jags offense has pretty mediocre talent. Lawrence will be fine once they add a few more pieces.

Think mediocre is giving them too much credit tbh. 

Just sad they went into the season with the setup they had. The ETN and Chark injuries obviously were big, but still. Not exactly setting your rookie QB up for success.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I like how one of those highlights is Trevor throwing it about 5 feet over his receivers hands and out of bounds. 

They aren’t “highlights,” but rather it’s every single incompletion he threw in that game. No player is going to throw every pass perfect, but the point is that players just aren’t getting open at all. He’s being asked to make obscene throws and almost every time he doesn’t complete one, it’s because literally no one was open.

18 hours ago, Tk3 said:

I don't think Jags should be OVERLY concerned.... but at the same time, by all metrics this has to be far below the baseline expectation, let alone the actual hopes that the fans had going into this

He's not broken, and there's tons of time to turn it around by putting in more pieces around him.. But I don't think there's much of an argument for the Jags fans to be feeling GOOD about what's happened with him so far and where it's going.

Him as a player, I still feel great tbh. The team supporting him and their ability to put players around him to get the success from him, yes I’m concerned.

Yes, we wanted more out of the passing game as a whole this year, but we didn’t expect that ETN would be lost before the season started. We didn’t expect to lose James O’ in the third snap of the second game. We didn’t expect Marvin Jones to show as much of his age as he has this season. We didn’t expect DJ Chark to have a ton of drops to start the year and then fracture his ankle immediately after finally getting in sync with Trevor. We didn’t expect that Jamal Agnew would become the team’s #2 WR by midseason out of necessity — not talent — and then destroy his hip and end up on IR. We didn’t expect that Laviska Shenault would kill more drives with drops than the number of catches he had on drives that led to scores. We didn’t expect that by week 11, we’d be trotting out Laquon Treadwell and Tavon Austin as the #2 and #3 most productive play to play WRs on the team.

I’m not sure you can point to any team recently that had a worse supporting cast of weapons surrounding a rookie QB for any extended period of time than what Trevor has right now. This was a bottom 10 set of weapons before the regression and injuries, and probably has an argument for all time bad now.

• Like 1

I never bought the hype to begin with. 

That said, DJ Chark is out, Marvin Jones is a good #2, they don't seem to understand how best to use Shenault, Etienne was supposed to aid the pass game and he's out, and they fall behind too often to utilize Robinson to his full potential. 

When you're trotting out Treadwell, it's bad. 

I still don't think Lawrence is ever going to be the GOD so many assured he would be, but he also hasn't had a lot to work with. 

Besides, he's not made of glass like Fields and he's not nearly as bad as Wilson. 

4 hours ago, pwny said:

Him as a player, I still feel great tbh. The team supporting him and their ability to put players around him to get the success from him, yes I’m concerned.

Yes, we wanted more out of the passing game as a whole this year, but we didn’t expect that ETN would be lost before the season started. We didn’t expect to lose James O’ in the third snap of the second game. We didn’t expect Marvin Jones to show as much of his age as he has this season. We didn’t expect DJ Chark to have a ton of drops to start the year and then fracture his ankle immediately after finally getting in sync with Trevor. We didn’t expect that Jamal Agnew would become the team’s #2 WR by midseason out of necessity — not talent — and then destroy his hip and end up on IR. We didn’t expect that Laviska Shenault would kill more drives with drops than the number of catches he had on drives that led to scores. We didn’t expect that by week 11, we’d be trotting out Laquon Treadwell and Tavon Austin as the #2 and #3 most productive play to play WRs on the team.

I’m not sure you can point to any team recently that had a worse supporting cast of weapons surrounding a rookie QB for any extended period of time than what Trevor has right now. This was a bottom 10 set of weapons before the regression and injuries, and probably has an argument for all time bad now.

From the limited games I've seen of Lawrence he is clearly the most talented rookie QB in the class but he's also in the worst situation, maybe with the exception of Zach Wilson.

He's probably been trying too hard and trying to do too much and the concern I would have would be if the Jags can protect him on the OL and surround him with enough talent before he gets beaten up or gets his confidence irrevocably damaged.

The pick was the right one but it's up to the Jags now to put him in a position to succeed like the Patriots have done with Mac Jones who is an inferior QB talent wise but in a vastly superior situation. I feel the Jags should have done a little more before the season as they knew who they were drafting well in advance.

• Like 2