Trevor Lawrence is looking like a bad pick for the Jags

notthatbluestuff

Not every rookie is Herbert. What these rookies are facing is pretty normal progression for rookies. Honestly i think they all will be fine. Franchises need to be patient.

My only concern is these qbs having their psyche affected and losing confidence. Season 1 for the 4 starting rookies should be throw away seasons. Let them go through the bumps and crash learn.

They are all too talented to not be good. You see the glimpses from Tlaw. He will be fine.

Edited by Bearerofnews
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

Not every rookie is Herbert. What these rookies are facing is pretty normal progression for rookies. Honestly i think they all will be fine. Franchises need to be patient..

Situation is extremely relevant/important when discussing the success of a young QB. Herbert balled out last season but he also had a solid offensive minded head coach and a great group of weapons around him. Lawerence/Wilson are both playing with unproven talent around them, rookie head coaches, and rookie play callers. There's going to be a ton of growing pains for them this season. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Situation is extremely relevant/important when discussing the success of a young QB. Herbert balled out last season but he also had a solid offensive minded head coach and a great group of weapons around him. Lawerence/Wilson are both playing with unproven talent around them, rookie head coaches, and rookie play callers. There's going to be a ton of growing pains for them this season. 

Yeah I don't know how good of a offensive minded coach Lynn is. He is more of a player coach then a scheming and game management coach. Herbert also had 32nd ranked oline and 31st ranked run game.

Yes he had Allen. But these rookies have more than adequate targets. I agree situation matters. But Herbert made LAC's situation look advantageous. Williams was being under utilized in Chargers system last year. Hunter has never come close to an elite TE season. 

Herbert is the exception not the rule. As long as these rookies remain mentally tough they should be fine.

I just hope Urban sticks with it in the NFL to shape and develop that program.

Edited by Bearerofnews

13 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

Yeah I don't know how good of a offensive minded coach Lynn is. He is more of a player coach then a scheming and game management coach. Herbert also had 32nd ranked oline and 31st ranked run game.

Yes he had Allen. But these rookies have more than adequate targets. I agree situation matters. But Herbert made LAC's situation look advantageous. Williams was being under utilized in Chargers system last year. Hunter has never come close to an elite TE season. 

Herbert is the exception not the rule. As long as these rookies remain mentally tough they should be fine.

I just hope Urban sticks with it in the NFL to shape and develop that program.

Wait what? The Chargers were 17th in the league in rushing yards last season and Herbert was sacked 32 times. He also had Austin Ekeler (over half the season) one of the most versatile RB's in the league, Keenan Allen one of the elite WR's in the league, Mike Williams a former top 10 pick/1,000 yard WR, and Hunter Henry one of the better TE's in the league. It's not like the Chargers were a dumpster fire they went 12-4 in 2018, Rivers declined so they went 5-11 in 2019 and even with Herbert having the greatest rookie season in NFL history they still only went 7-9. 

Herbert is definitely an outlier but when you look back at like the last 20 seasons who have been the two best rookie QB's? Herbert and Luck. What's the one thing they have in common? The team that drafted them was in the playoffs, their veteran QB got hurt which resulted in a down year, then they were able to land another franchise QB and they thrived in the same situation that veteran QB was thriving in previously. 

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

He might turn out but the hype train was way out of control.

Luck took over a 2-14 team and made the playoffs. Wasn't all him but he was a big reason why.

And yes, that's who we've compared Lawrence to, so that's the standard for him.

Luck situation is completely different. Why were the colts 2-14, oh yeah they didn’t have manning that season and the back up QBs were complete garbage. Colts team was already built and it just needed a Legit QB. This jags team is in full rebuild mode 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Luck situation is completely different. Why were the colts 2-14, oh yeah they didn’t have manning that season and the back up QBs were complete garbage. Colts team was already built and it just needed a Legit QB. This jags team is in full rebuild mode 

A legit team wont go 2-14, period. They were awful.

38 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

A legit team wont go 2-14, period. They were awful.

Any team can go 2-14 when they decide to tank and trot out Curtis Painter to play quarterback. That was not a team trying to win football games going 2-14. That was a decent team that quit when things didn’t go their way. 

Meanwhile, the 2020 Jacksonville Jaguars are legitimately one of the worst teams in NFL history; a team that dismantled their entire roster heading into the season and set NFL records for bad play.

Trevor has no receiver as good as rookie T.Y. Hilton, let alone Reggie Wayne. Hell, Donnie Averie in his 2012 form might start for this Jaguars team. Rookie Dwayne Allen is a better receiving target than any TE on this Jags roster so far; maybe that changes with our two latest additions when they get acclimated to the offense, but not now. Vick Ballard was no world beater as a RB, but he and Donald Brown were about as effective as our run game has been so far. And Luck’s OL was significantly better than Trevor’s. The Colts defense wasn’t great, but it was 21st in points allowed. Meanwhile the Jaguars are currently, right now, in the middle of an all time record for points and TDs allowed. They are the only team in NFL history to allow 24 points and 3 TDs in 18/19 straight games. 

Like I’m genuinely confused how anyone could think that these two rosters are at all comparable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

He might turn out but the hype train was way out of control.

Luck took over a 2-14 team and made the playoffs. Wasn't all him but he was a big reason why.

And yes, that's who we've compared Lawrence to, so that's the standard for him.

What a horrendous take lol

Give the guy 2 or 3 seasons before you brand him a failure. Fans get caught up in the hype of college or the preseason or the rare Justin Herberts, Baker Mayfields who light it up as a rookie. It has been 3 games. R-E-L-A-X. Sometimes it is the franchise, scheme, coaching and not the player or a combination of everything. I don't believe it is possible to correctly diagnose the issue this early in the process. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Obviously I'm rooting for a meteor before I'd root for the Jaguars, but this is the type of thread that should be exempt from the "no bumping old threads" rule.

We need like a "take" flair or something that allows people to murder this in the future. 

Only if you can’t recognize obvious satire. 

• Like 1