Where would they rank today?

BigTrav

If these players came back in time and played at their peak today, where would they rank positionally?

For example, if peak Randy Moss came back, you'd have your list something like

1. Randy Moss

2. DeAndre Hopkins

3. Tyreek Hill.....and so on

So.

1. Brett Favre

2. Michael Strahan

3. Brian Urlacher 

4. Joey Porter

5. Priest Holmes

6. Shawn Merriman

7. Jared Allen

8. Jamal Lewis

picked these names sort of at random, but also during a great time as an NFL fan for me personally

Edited by BigTrav

On 9/26/2021 at 12:04 PM, BigTrav said:

1. Brett Favre

I think a lot of this would depend on where he goes, who’s coaching him, and the type of offense he’s in. Brett playing with a guy like Joe Judge would be catastrophic IMO. Throwing to weapons like NE’s (tight end heavy, no one getting deep) would be a problem. Put him in a McVay or Reid offense, I think he’d excel. 

In an ideal spot, like in KC, I think he’d be a top end QB that maybe still throws a few too many picks. In a less than ideal spot, he’d be a good QB that the franchise probably moves on from in 4-6 years.

On 9/26/2021 at 5:04 PM, BigTrav said:

1. Brett Favre

2. Michael Strahan

3. Brian Urlacher 

4. Joey Porter

5. Priest Holmes

6. Shawn Merriman

7. Jared Allen

8. Jamal Lewis

hmmm

Favre would be in the top 4, for me.

Mahomes - Rodgers - Brady - Favre

Strahan is probably number 1 or 2 DE, probably with Garrett

Urlacher is the number 1 LB today

Porter I'm not sure. As far as OLB go, he was really good I seem to remember. Number 1? @43M?

Holmes......maybe fringe top 5?

Merriman top 10ish..think he was slightly overrated

Allen...top 5 DE

Jamal Lewis...the next tier below the CMC, Kamara, Henry tier 

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Porter I'm not sure. As far as OLB go, he was really good I seem to remember. Number 1? @43M?

Porter wouldnt even be the best 34 OLB on the Steelers right now.   He was a great, albeit somewhat inconsistent pass rusher, solid vs the run and not very good in coverage.    Porter was really good, and he would definitely be 3 to 5 at his peak, but I wouldnt take his peak level over current TJ Watt....when healthy, of course.

Holmes......maybe fringe top 5?

Holmes had an absolutely incredible OL in front of him in KC that almost any RB could have had success behind.   He was definitely good, but without that OL wouldnt have had close to the numbers he had.   OL play in today's league is trash compared to 20 years ago....so I dont think he'd fair nearly as well now.

Merriman top 10ish..think he was slightly overrated

Merriman is hard to judge because we dont know how good he wouldve been without PEDs.   However, he was an absolutely elite pass rusher and wouldve been one of the best right now.   Im not going to rank him due to uncertainty....but if he could've been what he was without PEDs, he could be the top pure pass rusher in the league right now.    

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 12:04 PM, BigTrav said:

1. Brett Favre

2. Michael Strahan

3. Brian Urlacher 

4. Joey Porter

5. Priest Holmes

6. Shawn Merriman

7. Jared Allen

8. Jamal Lewis

So I’m just going to assume these guys all come back to their original teams. Like they’re in a hyperbolic time chamber and walk out to an alternate future.

1. Peak Favre- Depending on what Herbert continues to do this season, id have Favre as a top 3 QB behind only Mahomes atm. I think he’d be better than current Rodgers. Especially with how protected the modern QB is compared to back then.

2. Michael Strahan- Top 3. Only Garrett and Watt would be on his level IMO.

3. Brian Urlacher- best ILB in the league. He was an elite coverage LB so he’d transition quite well to the modern NFL.

4. Joey Porter- Second best pass rusher on his team. Top 10 in the league.

5. Priest Holmes- He’d be a rich mans Helair and would pair well with the current Chiefs iteration. Though he wouldn’t have that elite OL in front of him. Granted his receiving skills would be a boon in the modern NFL. I’d have him right there with guys like Cook and Kamara. Top 3-5 back.

6. Shawn Merriman- Roids aside, he’d be the best edge rusher on the Chargers over Bosa. I’d have him just below Strahan, Watt, and Garrett.

7. Jared Allen- Basically the same as Merriman. I’d have him below the above three on the Merriman tier, ahead of him though.

8. Jamal Lewis- Man this would be the perfect fit for the current Ravens rushing attack. On any other team, Lewis would be a bit of a dinosaur because he wasn’t a receiving back. He’s sort of a Nick Chubb with worse hands and a little more power IMO. But add him to the Lamar Ravens and he’d be a top 3 back in the NFL.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Advanced analytics would probably hate Favre 

Peak Favre? All of his advanced metrics were great 95-97 (except ints, and they were still firmly good), while lapping the field in TD%.

Edited by Bullet Club