Game 3: Detroit Lions vs. Baltimore Ravens

teude

I am still annoyed we traded picks for a PS wide receiver and he can't get on the field and get targets in his 4th week here.  Thats the one dumb move this staff has made that made me scratch my head.  I know we needed WRs but could have grabbed someone who was cut or traded for another WR that had shown more.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

That was my same thought.  I am ok losing.  We aren't going to win a SB with our talent level here.  But there are a lot of signs that were encouraging.  The team fought hard, the coaches seemed to have good gameplans on D to limit one of the hardest to contain players in the league.  As our youth develops and we add more top picks, we can move in a positive direction.  I don't love Goff but you can win with him with the right pieces around him so I would focus on getting those right pieces around him.  When he gets some WRs and the D improves, we can then truly evaluate him in this system and make a choice from there.  I like the direction we are headed.  I think we will win some games this year we aren't expecting to and we will have positive momentum going into the offseason.  Free agents will want to play for our staff and the draft picks will be huge if we hit on them.  Its always disappointing to lose, but I dont feel like we are as trash as our talent level says we should be. 

I should just cut and paste this. Feel the same. 

It would have been nice to see Campbell and Co. get their first W over a team that many (myself included) expected would just steamroll us. The league absolutely needs to do a better job at communicating potential discrepancies with the game clock/tv clock. 

The guys are fighting hard for this staff. There are hiccups but they generally seem to be moving things in the right direction in play-calling. We are seeing the right steps forward but it's very difficult to overcome major talent deficiencies every week. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I am still annoyed we traded picks for a PS wide receiver and he can't get on the field and get targets in his 4th week here.  Thats the one dumb move this staff has made that made me scratch my head.  I know we needed WRs but could have grabbed someone who was cut or traded for another WR that had shown more.  

Gotta agree. When he did see snaps, he didn't seem to be on the same page with the QB. Here's hoping he gets a better grasp of the playbook and shows something as the year goes on.

That was the ultimate Lions football game. We lost on a play that we've literally never seen before in the NFL - AND it appears that the referees blew a delay of game call that should've made that kick impossible. 

The wide receiver group is going to cause huge headaches for this team. There's just no one there. Kalif Raymond just isn't going to get the job done as a team's #1 or #2 receiver. 

It even makes it really hard to evaluate how Goff is doing because he probably doesn't have anything open most of the time besides the RB's and TE's. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

That was the ultimate Lions football game. We lost on a play that we've literally never seen before in the NFL - AND it appears that the referees blew a delay of game call that should've made that kick impossible. 

The wide receiver group is going to cause huge headaches for this team. There's just no one there. Kalif Raymond just isn't going to get the job done as a team's #1 or #2 receiver. 

It even makes it really hard to evaluate how Goff is doing because he probably doesn't have anything open most of the time besides the RB's and TE's. 

I get that they don't expect to contend this year, but I'm still surprised they haven't taken a look at Smoke Brown. They could use some vertical speed.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I get that they don't expect to contend this year, but I'm still surprised they haven't taken a look at Smoke Brown. They could use some vertical speed.

John Brown and Golden Tate instantly upgrade over what we currently have. Not sure why they're not signed now. 

I guess staff just wants to see younger players get reps and see how they do.

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

John Brown and Golden Tate instantly upgrade over what we currently have. Not sure why they're not signed now. 

I'm ok with this.  They have some guys with upside, they need to see how they work and improve.  The best way to make the rebuild as quick as possible is get guys reps and move on if they aren't the right guys and hope you find some that are worthy of making rosters and can contribute.  I love Golden Tate, but he doesn't do much for this roster right now.  He could be a help to St Brown since they have similar styles but even then its sort of just a wasted roster spot.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SimbaWho said:

I think Tate is waiting better offer i.e. playoff teams.

10 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

I'll swing back and ask which tackle you felt wasn't that good... I felt it was both guards actually that struggled early.

I love watching Penei Sewell, He did great again. Nelson wasn't terrible and looking more and more like a legitimate RT. 

WR's are trash, absolute trash. Not one guy can stretch this out deep? Not 1 can get off the line and run 20+ yards? Or it is just Jared Goff, captain check down? Can't tell right now but this offense sucks, not explosive at all. They'll have a hard time scoring all year. I can see why Rams wanted this guy out if he doesn't push the ball well down field.

Defense played a lot better. LB'ers didn't look like zombies out there. 4 Sacks! That's like 8 games worth of pressure in the Quinn/tricia era! 

Good things, but, it's a jobbed loss. REF's were BS. The missed delay of game one is totally... idk, amateur hour. 

Sewell got confused a few times in the first half. I thought Jackson struggled at times and took a few penalties. The right side was okay but could certainly improve. Nelson may well be a legit tackle. That would be great for the depth.

Yup, WR’s aren’t very good. I expected more from St. Brown and Benson. That’s okay, it’s early. I really like the running backs. I would like to see improved run blocking so they can feed the opposition a steady diet of Williams when needed.

Swift is tremendously talented. Call me crazy but I would like to see him used as a slot receiver to see what happens.

The linebackers are certainly faster. I’m glad Barnes and Reeves-Maybin are playing. Barnes for experience and it’s time to see if Reeves-Maybin can be a starter. 

All things considered I thought the secondary held up well. I was expecting Jackson to have a career passing day. Brown was also as good as having an extra CB. He had a rough day catching the ball, thankfully. Price got beat a few times but also provided some good coverage. I’m not suggesting any of them are keepers just they played better than I expected.

I never discuss officiating anymore. It happens to the Lions far to often. It’s infuriating but we can’t do anything about it so……

Jared Goff needs allot more help. That said he has some shortcomings. I think it’s to early to jump on him but there are concerns. We know our WR aren’t good. I think he checks down because the WR are seldom open. The ravens also took T.J. out of the game yesterday further limiting his options. Goff does appear to have some limitations when he has to go through progressions. If his primary is covered his anxiety seems to go up. Throw in some pressure and more advanced progressions and he seems to have some difficulty. Of course any QB will react to pressure. Some just seem to be able to maintain situational awareness better. Goff is never going to carry the team. He needs protection, a running game and a reasonable set of receivers. Swift and Williams are fine. The line needs to be a bit more consistent opening lanes. Sure would be nice if Laken Tomlinson were still a Lion. I understand they want to develop receivers but at the same time Goffs confidence and success matter. I expect they will make some type of move.

Overall there was improvement. The team seems to be responding to the coaching so if that continues the Lions could be a reasonably good team. I just hope they continue to build the team and not get seduced by the thought of taking a QB in this draft. Perhaps I’m biased because I don’t really like the QB’s this year and believe you build the team then add the QB. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I think they have to make a move. They have to give Goff a legitimate WR. Developing young receivers is great but not the entire position group. LOL……

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I'm ok with this.  They have some guys with upside, they need to see how they work and improve.  The best way to make the rebuild as quick as possible is get guys reps and move on if they aren't the right guys and hope you find some that are worthy of making rosters and can contribute.  I love Golden Tate, but he doesn't do much for this roster right now.  He could be a help to St Brown since they have similar styles but even then its sort of just a wasted roster spot.    

If Tyrell is coming back, it's not as much of a need. But if he's going to continue being out, I'd want a guy like Smoke Brown. The Lions need somebody to stretch the field.

• Like 1

What a lousy way to lose a game!  Sorry it happened that way for you, Lions fans.  The day will come when you'll be on the winning end of a lot of those games.  You guys are rebuilding, just like my Jaguars.  All we can do is take the losses for now, and watch as our young teams get used to the NFL game and get better each week.  As they all get better at their jobs, the losses will turn into wins.  In the meantime, we will hold down the cellar in the AFC and you can do the same in the NFC.  Then when draft time comes around, we can continue to scarf up all the elite talent for a couple years and before long the rest of the league will be eating our dust!  That's the plan anyway.  I just wanted to come in and say again how much I like your head coach and how much I'm hoping for your team's success.  You loyal Lions fans deserve great things to happen to you.  See you all when we are lining up against each other in the Super Bowl in a few years!  :)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Yeah, I understand it. I'm just not sure it's fair to the OC or Jared Goff. Evaluating either of them seems to be tough this year. I get there is alot to unpack with this team too. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

What a lousy way to lose a game!  Sorry it happened that way for you, Lions fans.  The day will come when you'll be on the winning end of a lot of those games.  You guys are rebuilding, just like my Jaguars.  All we can do is take the losses for now, and watch as our young teams get used to the NFL game and get better each week.  As they all get better at their jobs, the losses will turn into wins.  In the meantime, we will hold down the cellar in the AFC and you can do the same in the NFC.  Then when draft time comes around, we can continue to scarf up all the elite talent for a couple years and before long the rest of the league will be eating our dust!  That's the plan anyway.  I just wanted to come in and say again how much I like your head coach and how much I'm hoping for your team's success.  You loyal Lions fans deserve great things to happen to you.  See you all when we are lining up against each other in the Super Bowl in a few years!  :)

Hey Buck, always good to see you.

What are your thoughts on Lawrence/Meyer 3 games in?